3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone use Fawn Distress recorded calling  (Read 256 times)

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone use Fawn Distress recorded calling
« on: December 29, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »
Hello, has anyone had good success using recorded fawn distress for bow hunting deer? I was thinking of using this for predator calling right before I leave my stand in the AM with the possibility of bringing in a doe also.

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone use Fawn Distress recorded calling
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 12:25:00 AM »
Yes. It will bring in does and bears!
Dan Breen

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 01:10:00 AM »
That's all we use here, I make my own mouth calls, and they will bring in does and bucks during the rut, does all season.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 01:11:00 AM »
That's all we use here, I make my own mouth calls, and they will bring in does and bucks during the rut, does all season.

Offline Triphammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 01:25:00 AM »
Be aware though that some states don't allow "recorded or electronically amplified" calls for other than predators.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 02:13:00 AM »
Thanks, I need to check on that. Anyone use manual calls?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
I used to (manual calls).  It didn't work often for me, but it did work.  When it did, they came in fast, jumping over deadfalls, everything.  Then they were gone nearly as fast.  Having a decoy of some sort might keep them there for a moment.  Note... I hunt public ground nearly exclusively now but did some of that calling on a large private farm as well.

ChuckC

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Electronic game calls are illegal to use here in NC. I do use a mouth fawn bleat early in the season but be aware that any deer that comes to a fawn distress bleat is coming in on point, looking for the reason the fawn is bleating.
 I was sitting at the base of a big pine tree a few years ago and decided to blow my bleat call. After a few minutes of blowing and another few waiting for results I decide to get up and move. As soon as I moved the doe that was right behind me blew and scared the crap out of me. She was so close I could feel her blow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
A Deer call works for all kinds of stuff.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
I called a very upset blacktail doe once with the squeaky brakes on my mt. bike.  Every time I hit the brakes going down the hill she chased me.  It was a bit unnerving and as soon as I hit the flat I got out of there.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Richard Rounds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
I tried it once with a mouth call. No deer showed but a coyote come in. Shot right under it at about 12 yrds   :banghead:

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
michael, i use a manual or mouth call- i build them myself- and thats all we use on the blacktail up here- and they are extremely successful- i would say 90% of my deer shot here( bow and rifle- and we shoot about 15 a year!) are all shot using a call. the bush is super thick. and the blacktail dont pattern like the whitetail do.
i am always in my leafy suit- so yes they do come in"on point" but thay cant figure me out- so its kinda easy to draw on them. i would highly recommend a leafy suit, or a ghillie suit if using a call- and have a solid backdrop- slow and deliberate movements. they will move away if you move too much, so be in position with arrow nocked when you start calling. i have had them come barrelling in, a- snorting and a- stamping. and i have also just had them sneak in.
just for a change , i would love to hunt some deer that pattern!!

they do get wise to the call- dont overcall an area- at least a few weeks between calling sessions.
i use a few other tricks too with regards to calling- but i did find the montana decoys i used scared them off- unless i could find a small fawn decoy- now that would be the deal!!!

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
most states wont allow recorded or digital recordings for hunting deer or turkey...be sure to check local laws before trying.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Michael I am from OK too and have used the primos fawn bleat to call in does. I just checked and they still have them on their website.

I did it one year way back in the day, I lost the call and never ran across another. But I did call in does 2 maybe 3 times out of the 5 or so times I tried. I usually used it just before I was ready to climb down in the mornings.

Like mentioned above I had them charging in on red alert. You will have to be ready and I figure aim low because they will probably jump the string.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
I got a coyote in MN using one this fall.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
I have tried the Primos fawn distress a lot and have never called in a doe. Lots of coyotes though.
PBS  Member

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 02:12:00 AM »
Michael,

FYI, unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, electronic calls are illegal here in OK. Wouldn't hurt to give a game warden a call to double-check, though.

Just thought I'd let ya know, I wouldn't want you to get yourself "in a wreck" over that. They CAN however, be used as training aids when not in the field. So if you already have one, you could use it to practice mimicing the sound with a manual call at the house & then be confident that you sound like the real thing once you hit the woods.

Hope this helps.
-Tony

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
I have a primos e caller
it has called in does and a fox
Slickhead

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©