3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ? for Footing experts  (Read 266 times)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
? for Footing experts
« on: December 29, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
So I have got all my components ready to for a few arrows for stumping.  I was planing on sliding the footing on the arrow then glueing in the insert then pulling the foot into place.  Any better ideas.  I was still planning on using hot melt for the insert and JB weld for the foot.
T ZZZZ

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? for Footing experts
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
Sounds about right? Usually the ferrel on the insert is slightly larger than the shaft.

One thing I liked to do on the short footings is to,sand the edges at a,bit of angle so,pulling arrows is slightly less likely to hang up.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
no, no, glue the insert in and let it cure. Then grind the insert down to the same diameter as the shaft. i use a bench grinder. Then glue the footing on with it flush with the end of the insert. Whole thing is covered then.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Canadian Idle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 12:02:00 AM »
Are you using ICS type arrows? and just fastening a layer of aluminum {arrow?} over top. ...Just a waste of time IMO. If that's the case, if you hit a hard object, you will still split the end of the shaft.... The HIT insert will still be pushed back and the end of the arrow WILL split.   Try to find an aluminum shaft that will fit nicely over the carbon shaft that that you are using, taper the back edge of the footing and use the insert that goes with it to bottom out to the carbon shaft, JB weld the whole works and make sure it spins true,....let set completely and dry. Aluminum shafts are marked by dia and wall thickness....eg.  1916  are   19/64 OD,..and .016 wall thickness. So,..19/64 = .304 - {2x.016}= .032
...= .272"..  
You have to figure out which aluminum shaft best fits your carbon shaft OD. ...Lloyd

Offline Canadian Idle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 12:17:00 AM »

Offline Canadian Idle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
To Foot or not to foot ... Video [Archive] - TexasBowhunter.com ...
Here is a list of different aluminum arrow inside diameters. If it doesn't come up right.... Just google...
"inside diameters of Easton aluminum shafts" and you'll see a list of what they'll fit.
 hope this helps,...Lloyd

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
I use double inserts, one in the carbon shaft and one in the aluminium footing. I cut my footings 3" long. As Ozy stated,you might have to grind the insert in the carbon shaft before the footing will slip over it.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
The ISC Hunters do not use the HIT insert they have an external insert.  I did a couple up last night and plan on testing them out on a hard stump this evening.  We'll see how they work. Not sure I like the idea of grinding down the insert.  Would be difficult to replace if it comes loose.  I guess if it is epoxied in palce that would not be a problem.  But I normally hot melt in the insert.
T ZZZZ

Offline Canadian Idle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
Tony, I sent you a PM. I think I would go with what JamesV above does IMHO. Here is a link to aluminum arrow ID sizes. Hope it helps,...Lloyd
 http://www.newoutdoorcore.com/arrowdata/arrowfit1.pdf

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©