3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 Days left in season and losing interest  (Read 538 times)

Offline J Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
3 Days left in season and losing interest
« on: December 29, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
We'll there are 3 days left in my archery deer season in Ontario. Closes at 5:19pm on Dec. 31st. To say it has been a bad year is an understatement. Sightings of deer have been non-existent let alone having a chance at one.  It has been a tough season for sure

We'll now it is coming to an end and I find myself not even interested in going out the last 3 days.  Not the way I wanted the season to go or end. Oh we'll there is always next year I guess

Congrats to all that had a good season

John
Omega Imperial 62" - 47#@28"

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 Days left in season and losing interest
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
For the few times I've made it out, I've had deer within range 3 times. Never could get a shot, trees/fawns blocking vitals, etc...

All the snow we've gotten here in MI has really put a damper on my desire to finish strong, but I always regret not getting out for the last chance hunts. Bugs me all off-season, so I "make" myself head out even if it's just a 2 hour sneak through the woods close to home.

I haven't killed anything on these hunts, but it feels good to spend time out there. Think I'll head out this evening for a couple hours...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
Just to encourage ya. I shot a Buck with mins left in our season. Although not the one I was after. Ya never know. Can't get them sitting on the couch. I love being outside if there's even a slim chance.
Good Luck!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Larrydawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
Gun is right!! cant hit one setting on the Couch!! Im going to hit the Public areas Monday and Tuesday evening before I go to work.
 My first day out this season I shot a nice 11 pt buck with my 47# osage Self bow I built my self.
 Buried arrow in his Vitals, My (NoLonger!!) hunting buddy spooked him up and I lost him. looked for 2 days. kinda breaks a guys drive when that happens.
LarryDawg
Bear Kodiak Magnum 50th anniversary 50#@28in.
Shakespere Ocala 50@28 in (1972)
Locksley Puma 45#@28 (1952)
several osage Bows, and every recurve bow ive owned since I started archery at age 6 (45 yrs)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
J Dean you get your butt out there!  My season has been sparse due to work and family commitments and I have only been able to go hunting less than once every two weeks since end of September so I'm jealous of anyone saying 'hmm not sure if I feel like going out'.  You might get a great deer in those last three days!?
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
Once things start to deteriorate here around mid Nov we keep going to the woods - what is different is my mindset - I see that last 3 days - sometimes 3 to 6 weeks as more scouting for the next season. We had a fantastic year with many tags punched - but still use this time - sign is still readable - and the realism of other hunter presence is helpful making decisions next go round.

If you mean that literally that sightings are non existent - i'd recommend scouting a new area - we are not big believers in repeating the same behavior and expecting a different result.
<><
<------------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
Just read an article in the paper (outdoor section on Sunday) talking about the deer numbers.  The writer stated that the GUN deer kill in nearly the entire midwest and maybe more was dismal, down up to 28% ( I believe that was the number).  I imagine the same holds for much of Canada as well.  

Those same deer are the ones we pursue, except that there are 500 - 700 thousand or more gun hunters running around WI, MI and other maybe other states for fairly long seasons, giving (in my mind) a much better read on the harvest and, extrapolated, the herd.

For some reason, numbers were down, and not just locally.

Many bowhunters have been voicing that they did not see the numbers that they normally did.

ChuckC

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
Long wait until the opener in 2014.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
I can relate.  In my neck of the woods hunting is just time spent in the woods with my bow and an occasional deer sighting (one a year if I'm lucky).  I spent the last two days on the ice pullin' blue gills through the hole.  I have a few weeks left myself and just can't seem to get motivated.  But as they've all said above, can't kill one from the house.  Good luck with your decision.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline J Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
We'll I did go out but it was an exercise in futility. After the crazy ice storm last week, followed by a snow storm walking in the woods was, let's just say ridiculous.

Went to an area I hadn't been since last year to see what was up there.  What would normally be a 10 minute walk took over an hour in the conditions. Every other step you break through and drop 10 inches. What a trudge in and out.

I have conceded defeat till next year.  I have been hunting an area of public land pretty hard for two seasons with no luck at all. Not even a sighting. Time to change areas and figure out where for next year. Once the conditions improve the scouting will begin

John
Omega Imperial 62" - 47#@28"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
Tuesday will be my last chance. Season goes out Weds but I have to work.

But hog will still be in until late Feb on game lands. I don't know any landowners here in that have hogs. Season ends with the close of small game season as far as game lands go.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Fits with what many have been saying around here Chuckc. Everyone has their reasons; but what explains the same things being seen over several states. Some guys want blame thr regs, but being so wide spread I think the weather, especially on the weekends had an impact. Doe gun and all archery is in right is in right now. I thinking I might take the Grizzly along with the rifle and if I happen to get a perfect close shot on a buck I'm going to take it.
SWA Spyder

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
We still have 22 days remaining in our season.  One never knows when their last hunt of the season will be.

There's something special about hunting the last evening of the last day for me. I soak all of it in to get me through the terribly long off-season.

Of course hunting is recreation not a job.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
In the past, when I had started approaching ~35 hunts, my interest started to wane unless something exciting was driving me. Once the 'no fun' syndrome starts, then I would start scouting and preparing for next season. Note: I find great reward scouting in January and February. Our thresholds are both different and variable. I would suggest considering not hunting when one is starting to burn out.

The adverse elements which you endure are exponentially greater in what I face.

Also, there are numerous other trad activities to enjoy.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
My interest waned for the opposite reason, I have 3 deer in the freezer this season. Kinda hard to justify going out in the cold and snow, shooting a 4th just to give it away.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
I can surely relate John. My last three seasons I hunted from the first day of our earliest season till the last day of our latest without filling a tag. But it only takes a minute to change a season. This year was bountiful for me with many opportunities. The rough years make the good ones that much better. Wishing you a successful 2014

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
I really don't blame you for being not interested.  I have two deer in the freezer and a late season tag left to fill here in IA and its been hard to gather up the gumption to go.  It's a blessing to have a long deer season for sure, but it's also a good break after it's done as well.
>>>--------->

Offline Blog on Bottom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
I heard a lot of complaining this year around southern Indiana, but my daughter and I had no problems getting into them. I think perhaps our hunting method has a lot to do with it; we cover a lot of ground to find doe chases and then sneak into the edges of the chase area. Of course, most of the people are stationary in trees and perhaps that just means the deer weren't moving much for whatever reasons.
But...I digress - this topic is about motivation in late season   :)  
When I begin to burn out due to full freezer or lack of action (empty freezer), I generally just go stump shooting or squirrel hunting with judos and then keep the broadheads handy in case I run across a deer or turkey. It works wonders. I generally find a new spot or get into a whole herd of deer. Change your tactics for some variety to prevent boredom by season's end.
That deep crunchy snow does make it difficult, however!
"Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ---C.S. Lewis

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Never give up, never give up !!

Offline stikbowshooter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
I say go out and enjoy yourself.  What is better than being with yourself alone in the woods and being able to enjoy the great outdoors!  This year hasn't been the best for me either but it sure beats sitting at home.  Gotta be out there to make it happen!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©