3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: B50 Dacron or Fast Flight  (Read 1062 times)

Offline possumridge137

• Trad Bowhunter
B50 Dacron or Fast Flight
« on: December 29, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
I need to draw on the wisdom of some experienced shooters. I've bowhunted for 30+ years with a compound bow but decided to go traditional a year ago and haven't picked up my wheeled bow since. I am shooting a 50# Bear Super Kodiak Grayling Green, 64" with a flemished Fast Flight string. At my draw length (30") it stacks to 57#.
I have played with the brace height to get it as quiet as possible and have settled at 9". My arrows fly like darts and I can shoot groups of 4" or less consitanty out to about 25 yards.
My only problem is that no matter what I try I can't get this bow as quiet as I want it. I have tried Bow Hush and Hushpuppies, String Leaches, beaver balls, brush buttons, arrows from 9 gpi up to 11 gpi and I still hear a sharp thud on release. I am considering switching to a B50 dacron string to see if that will dull or eliminate the thud i'm hearing. I Know I will loose a few FPS but I'm more concerned with accuracy and a quiet bow than speed. Any advice would be appreciated.
“If I were ever prosecuted for my religion, I truly hope there would be enough evidence to convict me.” - John Wooden

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: B50 Dacron or Fast Flight
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
Probably the only difference in noise you will get is a change in pitch.  Besides that, you will get a lot more stretch/creep, and less durability.

I'd try BCY-X.  18-20 strands with padded loops.  After tuning the "naked" string to find the quietest brace, add cat whisker silencers tied on around the string (so they can be adjusted) and cut short.  Adjusting the silencers as little as 1/2" up or down the string can make a big difference.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
Possum in my experience a properly made string can make quite a difference-more so than a lot of stuff like brush buttons etc. I would see if LBR is willing to make you one and if not get one from Pierre at SBD. Both are sponsors and make outstanding strings.

Offline Canadian Idle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
Hi James, is the bow you are shooting tillered for split finger ??? Are you shooting split finger??? If you are shooting 3 under and the bow is tillered for split finger, it will always be a little noisy...just the nature of the beast. Try shooting split finger and see if it makes a difference, you may have to adjust the nocking point on the string to get better arrow flight as well. just a thought ,...Lloyd

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
Go for it, you'll lose about 8 fps but it will make a big difference in the sound.

Offline D.Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Maybe I am nutz,(actually , no maybe about it   :D   ) but I find Dacron to be louder than the lower stretch alternatives. YMMV
Darcy   :campfire:
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 05:44:00 AM »
Go with whatever Chad tells you (LBR).  That's the best advice you'll find regarding strings and options.

Offline possumridge137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 07:05:00 AM »
I shooting split finger as that is the way I learned to shoot 30 years ago when I started shooting. I also have a Sammick Sage that I backed with snake skin using epoxy and replaced the string with a flemished fast flight and it is as quiet as a cold still winter morning. This Super Kodiak is the only bow that I've had this much trouble taming. I will try a new string. I'm not giving up with traditional, Ive had several recurves over the years but just never put in the time and dedication to tune myself to shooting instictive until now and now I'm hooked and wont go back to my Mathews. Just as soon as I can sell my compound I will get a Tomahawk Long Bow.
“If I were ever prosecuted for my religion, I truly hope there would be enough evidence to convict me.” - John Wooden

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
B-50 or B-55, I don't care what anybody says, Dacron has a lower pitch than Fast Flight and is more silent and easier to make silent. Does it stretch, yes.....is it a few FPS slower, yes. But neither of those things really matter when hunting.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
Maybe I am nutz,(actually , no maybe about it [Big Grin] ) but I find Dacron to be louder than the lower stretch alternatives.
You aren't crazy...at least not for that.  

There are lots of variables to consider.  From just the string standpoint (leaving out bow design, release, arrow weight, etc.) the noise comes mainly from string vibration.  This comes from elasticity, and polyester ("Dacron") has the most elasticity of any of the commercial string materials.  The noise will definitely last longer because the string will vibrate longer.

Something I forgot to mention earlier is nock fit.  If your nocks snap on the string tight, that will add noise also.

Worst case scenario, it could be the bow.  Some bows, for whatever reason, just won't be made quiet--or as quiet as we want.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
I've never had a problem with dacron and have been making my own strings for 10yrs or more. I have bought several bows over the years with FF/skinny strings that were pretty loud but quieted down nicely with a new dacron string. The latest was a 58" Dark Archer with a skinny string and FOUR giant puff ball pom poms and padded string groves that was still loud. A 12 strand dacron and one pair of rabbit fur beaver balls and its whisper quiet...............Dacron may not be what the "Cool Kidds" are shooting but it does still work very well................
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
I have had a little experience with 2 different Grayling green Super Kodiaks.  Both came with the fastflite string that Bear provides.  Both seemed very loud , even with catwhiskers installed.  Switched to B50 flemish with catwhiskers on both of them.  The noise difference was very evident.  The B50 was much quieter!!!!

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
I can't stand FF it's never felt good on my fingers and has always made my bows louder. B-50 all the way.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
There are lots of different "fast flight" type materials--some are quieter than others.  How the string is made also makes a big difference, along with tuning, etc.  I haven't found a "factory" string that is satisfactory to me.  I've swapped out a bunch of them, even made with the same material, and the difference in noise is huge.

It's only in my best interests to promote the best material.  I'll only use polyester on a couple of old bows that are special to me, because they aren't rated for HMPE materials.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
B50 has always seemed quieter to me and the difference in speed is no big deal.

Offline possumridge137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to order both Fast Flight and B50 if/when I can find an available reputable custom string maker. (any suggestions welcomed) I striped the string down and worked with the brace from 8" to 9" and it this bow seem to like 8 13/16". I have never shot a bow that I wasn't able to tame the noise (five recurves, seven compounds) This one is just a bit challeging, but with help and advice I know I can get it where I want it.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
The gentleman replying to your question builds fantastic strings.  

LBR.

Offline possumridge137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
A lot of people recommend LBR but his web sight says that he is not taking orders at this time. I'm still searching.

Offline possumridge137

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
LBR Made a bowstring for me and the difference is like night and day. Put the string on my bow and since the temps outside have been below zero I wasn't able (wasn't going) to shoot until the the temps were back in the 30s. Today I did shoot and the bow that once sounded like someone slamming a door on an old 64 Ford pick-up is suprisingly quiet. I'm a Lifetime CCB customer. If I knew anyone else who shot traditional I would refer them. Thanks LBR

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
Excellent--glad to hear it!  I think we used the new BCY-X?

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©