3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quieting my bow  (Read 581 times)

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Quieting my bow
« on: December 29, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
So I need some ideas of what more I can do to make this thing shoot quieter.  Seems a little loud for me, even though its my first bow.  

Super Kodiak #50
Factory sting

Stinger silencers are the rubber hairy ones, no clue what they are called, but was told for FL the natural material and rain is not the best.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quieting my bow
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
I would get a Rino string or d-10 first thing..that alone will help with noise. I put velcro [soft side] on my limbs where the string slaps the limb.
Sounds like you have the rubber cat-whiskers, which I've found to be as good or better than any other string silencing material.
You can try adjusting your brace height,the high end of the recommended brace height may be the quietest.
I wouldn't shoot less than 9 grains per pound arrow weight, lighter arrow will be louder. Make sure your arrows are spined correctly, if they're not, you may get some slapping against the strike plate.

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Thanks for the info one question though is slapping against the strike plate.  What exactly does this mean?  I hate to sound so noobish but I have to learn somewhere.  

I found my arrows are shooting pretty good.
#50 at 28"  
Shooting 26 3/4" so around #47's

600 Gold Tip arrows cut at 30" with 125 grains up front.

Sound about right? I was just going with what was shooting good and this seems like they fly straight and group good.  Every now and then I will get a whobbler I notice in flight but I think that is more my release.  This is hard to learn without someone showing you.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
Nice heavy wood arrows of 600 gr or better.

Properly spinded, of course.

Wool puffs.

Proper brace height.

Fur or soft leather rest material.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Paul_R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
Sounds like your under spined. I'd say 500 spine minimum for that set up. 400 spine would probably work too.
"My opinion is free and worth every penny"

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
freedomhunter, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to carbons, nothing wrong with carbon arrows, I'm just a lot more familiar with aluminum and wood.

If an arrow is too stiff or too weak it can slap against the side-plate.
Cat whiskers are rubber, they seem to absorb vibration better than other silencer material, imo, but whatever silencer material works will be good enough.
Personally,I use the soft side of velcro for shelf and side plate material.

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
Sound under spined. Id say try paper tuning and trim the arrows down. Maybe around 28 inch. Other than that try moving the string silencers up and down the string. I put my silencers one at 1/4 of string length and the other at 1/3 length and adjust from there. Good luck.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Would suggest trying both a 175 gn and 200 gn tip.

Would suspect that the flight will be much improved over the 125 gn tip. Then you be ready to trim and add front end wt.

Would estimate that the arrow set-up could end up near 28 1/4"s with ~250 gns up front.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
Yeah, your arrows are very light. Light arrow are loud. Add some tip weight with weighted inserts and heavier points as Friend says. With the weight increase you may possibly have to cut a 1/2" - 1" off your shafts as well to make them stiffer.

Also buy two more strings of different material and even try a skinny string. Have them custom made being padded in the loops. Most bow noises can be cured with different string material/weight. Adding a second set of silencers will also help.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
Thanks all, I will get my tuning kit out and mess around again.  I made a switch from wheels to stick and all the weight up front is so different than what I know.  I purchased my arrows and also have the weighted inserts.  I feel much better with my grouping so tuning the arrows to be more precise should be a little easier.

I will let you know what I come up with.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
Wishing you the best of success!!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
Okay if I bare shaft paper tuning I find that my arrows at that length just heavier tip 145 gr.  Shoots perfect bullet holes, but if I shoot the same exact thing but with feathers it rips high.  Mind you I am taping computer paper around a card board box frame so I don't know if the thickness of the paper matters or not.  

Just weird that bare shaft is shooting perfect and fletching is ripping knock high.  Any thoughts?

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
Make sure your brace height is between 8-9".  I find my Super K's shoot best right around the 8.5" mark.

Is your nocking point slightly low? Allowing bareshafts to come off the shelf clean, but kicks the fletch.

It seems to me your arrows are light and underspined.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 01:13:00 AM »
Can you describe the "loud"ness? Recurves generally tend to be a bit louder than longbows, but can still be quieted effectively. "Bow Hush" and "Hush Puppies", from Terry Green here at Tradgang, have proven to be the best method of silencing 'recurve noise' for me. Properly spined arrows, the correct brace height, and often a lighter weight, "skinny string" will also affect noise level, not to mention a smoother shot.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 07:03:00 AM »
I'm going with a heavier arrow that is still propeerly spinned.
T ZZZZ

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
limbsavers
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 11:39:00 AM »
Right now brace height is 6 1/2 so I am guessing it is off.  Now how to fix it.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
You should be able to raise the brace height by twisting the string to shorten it.  

I would raise the brace height to at least 8".  That will make a big difference.  You can go up from there a few twists at a time to see if it improves even more.  When you find the sweet spot, you will know it.

I promise that you will see an improvement from 6.5 to 8".
Inquiring minds.......

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
You will have one really twisted string trying to go from 6.5 to 8. I'd get a shorter string that will get you closer to 7.5 from the start so you can twist from there and still have some room to untwist if you find 7 to 7.25 works the best.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »
I'm shooting a 48# bow with 500 arrows and a 58# bow with 400 arrows.  I think your arrows aren't spined stiff enough.  If you take a 600 arrow and add point weight that will make them fly "less stiff" which is, I'm pretty sure, the opposite direction you want for spine.  

So, if you want/need more point weight, you will probably have to go to a stiffer arrow.

My recommendation is to download Stu Miller's Dynamic Spine Calculator.  Google that; it's free. That's the starting point for myself to tune arrows.

Good luck.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©