3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey time- 1 jake decoy?  (Read 454 times)

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey time- 1 jake decoy?
« on: December 30, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
Turkey time is right around the corner! Usually, I place 1 hen decoy (old hard-shelled flambeau--called Freda) and have had some luck. I have also placed a jake with it and have had turkeys come in. Obviously, nothing works all of the time.  Do any of you just use 1 jake decoy? If so, any tips would be appreciated.  Peace!

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey time- 1 jake decoy?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
In the past early season a jake or tom decoy alone will be about as effective as anything you can do. It really seems to piss them off and get them to wanting to fight. Which means he'll focus on the decoy and ignore you.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »
Thanks Natty!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
Last year I invested in one of the DSD jake decoys.  I had a couple of hens and a jake decoy that I thought looked pretty good, but the turkeys never came close enough to them. Once I put the DSD out I had turkeys coming in and pushing it around.  It cost more than I thought I would ever spend on a decoy, but certainly made a difference. They did not seem to pay any attention to the hen decoy I had out with it.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
I am with maineac,  I used some of the high end Zink Avian-x decoys last year and saw a noticeable difference.  I had hens come in and lay down in my decoys.  I usually use a hen and a jake.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 01:09:00 PM »
Last Spring I had one jake and three hens in my decoy spread. I had Toms, Jakes and Hens all come into my decoys. I've had more success using a  lone Jake with Hens then I've had with a Tom and Hens.

This is just my experience and I'm sure others have had similar success with other setups.

Offline Johnnylongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
Usually I put out a hen and a jake. It has worked well for me.
I have killed eastern's and rio's . however this past spring in the Colorado Rockies I had nice birds coming in on two occasions ,but when they saw the jake they 180ed and left. Both birds(different birds) were longbeards.  I was after a smart old Tom  and I was kicking myself after the second time.  Both times I pulled in  the birds from a long ways off .  If I knew all the answers I would be rich . keep trying  and good luck
JLB

Offline The Baron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
Although I can't claim any with my longbow (yet), I've killed lots of gobblers (mostly Easterns but also a half dozen Rios and a couple Merriams) with my flintlock as well as the boring ole' 12 gauge.  I've tried every decoy combination/type/style from single hen, feeding hen, jakes, hen/jake full strut jakes and toms, half-strut jakes, 3-5 bird flocks... you name it and I've probably tried it.  Turkeys can be funny critters and I'm pretty sure they change their preferences on a minute by minute basis - if you try to get into their head you will lose your mind.  Other than full strut decoys, which can be boom or bust, I think a hen and/or jake are almost always a good bet.  I have used a single jake and killed birds but I couldn't say it was any better or worse than a single hen or a jake+hen combo.

I do think the ultra realistic decoys, such as the DSD, are worth the extra money, especially when you need to hold birds in close for archery or blackpowder shooting.   The last tom I shot with my flinter was in Oklahoma and we had an entire flock milling around and feeding with our DSD hen and jake for at least 10 minutes before the tom came in and presented me with the shot I needed.  If the price doesn't scare you off, I would the DSD decoys.

Good luck on the toms.  I look forward to gobbler season too because it means nicer days afield - it's -37 with the windchill here today!
You can't be a leader of you don't know where you're going.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Have you guys seen the new 'fanning' craze?  Might be really tough on public land with other hunters but its basically a way to spot and stalk spring birds.

I've been taught by my grandpa to use a hen and a jake or two hens and a jake.  He stays away from the full strut decoys to avoid the tom running away.  I have one but it's never worked for me yet.
>>>--------->

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
If you have only 1 deke or time to only put 1 out, I've had great success with just a jake. Combined with calling, their ears tell them hens are nearby and their eyes tell them competion is on the scene. Good Luck!
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »
For many years I used the Buck Wing decoys.  They worked fair.  Two years ago, I purchased and hen and jake Avian decoys.  Since that time, the birds have increased a LOT coming to decoys.  My jake decoy doesn't want to go along anymore, as he gets his butt kicked every time.  It is a blast to watch - I need to leave the bow home and just video the action - NOT!  The Avian is a little expensive, but worth every penny.  My buddies are hunting not far from me and all the birds keep coming to my decoys.

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 08:18:00 AM »
Thanks Guys--I'm getting anxious for turkey season. Peace!

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
Also check out Bestturkeydecoy.com they have a big sale on there decoy which is very similar to the DSD.  I've used it the last 3-4 yeas with great success all season long.

Offline The Baron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
Dirtybird - that's a great looking jake decoy!  Thanks for the tip.  I've already written to them to inquire about shipping one up here.
You can't be a leader of you don't know where you're going.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©