3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just a thought (on technology)...  (Read 616 times)

Offline lyagooshka

• Trad Bowhunter
Just a thought (on technology)...
« on: December 30, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
I'm going a little cleaning, getting things set for the new year, looking for pork and sauerkraut recipes and watching a little TV.  The hunting year has been a bust for me, but that's why it's called hunting, not killing.  So one particular show came on and I had a thought, so here goes...

Hunters often are going in or coming out of the woods in the dark.  Obviously, a light source is a must.  Flashlights are probably the go-to tool, but there are some others that I think might work.  The particular one I am talking about is NVG (night vision goggles) or more specifically, FLIR (forward looking infrared).  Does anyone use this, or does anyone think it's UN-trad?

My thoughts go to the advantages.  For one, you get a much wider field of view than with a flashlight.  Another is that you are not polluting the area with light, scaring away potential game.  Yet a third is tracking.  Getting a shot at sunset, right as a rain or snow is coming in, makes for one heck of a job tracking.  Something like FLIR could pick up the heat signature from a downed animal.

Again, nothing will replace basic skills.  You need to know how to track, you need to know how to minimize light (and noise) pollution going into and out of the woods.  But with prices being pretty reasonable, is this a feasible option?  Yes, a person could get some strange looks walking through the woods being dressed like the terminator while carrying a self bow with a dozen homemade wooden shafts tipped with obsidian and some fresh turkey feathers on the back, but still.

Thoughts?

Hope everyone has a happy, healthy and safe new year.

Be well,

Alex

:campfire:
"I have known many meat eaters to be far more nonviolent than vegetarians." - Mahatma Gandhi

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just a thought (on technology)...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
Flashlight $10
Nightvision goggles $3,200

No thanks. I'll stick with the flashlight although mine actually cost $75.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
My mini-mag light with an LED bulb works fine and weighs a lot less.

Happy New Year!
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
Mmmm, pork and 'kraut. Okay, I'll go read the rest now...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 06:57:00 PM »
I walk in about an hour before light and walk out 30 minutes after sundown. Haven't turned on a flashlight all season.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
I don't see how NVG are any less trad than a battery powered, factory-made aluminum flashlight that uses alkaline batteries.....
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:
I don't see how NVG are any less trad than a battery powered, factory-made aluminum flashlight that uses alkaline batteries.....
I agree to a certain extent.  

However, I'll stick with a light personally.  I've thought about the other stuff but it is more costly, more fragile, heavier, and bulkier.  Also, I don't think I'd like the experiance as much.  What I love about my time in the woods is getting back to basics and enjoying God's country.  I make enough raucous coming in with a light that I doubt I'd make any less impact with stealthy night vision goggles.  Remember, you still sound and smell unnatural and deer can still see your movement when you can't see them.  For the downsides, I just don't see how it would make me any more effective and it certainly wouldn't enhance my experience.  

In my opinion, a small, portable headlamp that runs on commonplace batteries is the way to go.  They are small, light, effective, and ultra-reliable.  If your batteries die on a trip out in nowhere, you can pick up AA/AAA at any gas station last minute (happened to me just this year actually). And the very best part, is it points the light just where you need it leaving your hands free for the bow, climbing in stands, moving around brush and boulders, etc.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
When one considers that with the coming worldwide currency reset in Feb. or March could reduce the buying power of our dollars by 30%. It will hard enough to pay for basic traditional archery supplies, $3000 nightvision goggles would just be way over the top.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
In some areas possession of a "hunting weapon" and night vision devices constitutes poaching.

Where I hunt (no rifles except muzzleloaders are allowed), one can often hear the crack of a rifle after dark.  I ALWAYS wear a headlight and look in all directions-to be sure anyone seeing a blob in the dark also sees my light and knows I'm not a deer.

So to answer the question, no nightvision goggles for me.  I like trailing deer, it's a great challenge, so no FLIR, either.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
Its an awesome thought and concept, but i will pass.  Gene Wensel asked "where do we draw the line".  Sorry, my line is well before these things.

I am thinking that these might be illegal in many states so be sure to check.  Also, just because WE can't see that spectrum does not mean other critters cannot.  We are kinda wienies when it comes to attributes that help us stay alive, except for our brains and the related activities it allows.

cool idea

ChuckC

Offline Wetfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
I wouldnt use them hunting. Its an unfair advantage and not fair chase. Trad? not sure,dont care. If you cant find your way in the dark, go during the day a few times then come back at night.
Dwyer Dauntless  61#@27in
Grizzlys and Woodsmans
Oak BoardBow 52#@27in
Bear lil Brave 2 12#@19in

Offline JJACOBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
My time in the service taught me that there is a learning curve with nvgs, they throw off your depth perception and it take a while to get use to moving in them...  The first time I ever used them, I was stepping over a ditch that was at least four feet away.  Then, they allowed us to drive humvee's at night using them.... That was interesting to say the least.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
I go into the woods an hour before sunrise with no light (I normally have two but don't flash them).

This is on my own property so I'm not so worried about motion & sound shooters.  I'm in about 1/4 mile for one of my stands; though my early season stand is 400 yards from my back door.  

If you leave the light off it's surprising how well your eyes adapt to low or no light.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 01:40:00 AM »
night vision isn't for me. nor is infrared.
But I can see how infrared could really be a bennifit in animal recovery. I personally would not buy one. but my buddy is a big time coyote hunter and has a middle of the road flir unit that cost about 2 grand. it will pic up the heat signature of a opossum at 100 yards. the thing is amazing and could be a huge recovery tool for anyone that wanted to spend that kind of money.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 04:16:00 AM »
flashlight for me, at 72 I need them as I walk in a full hour prior to first light and walk in when I can no longer see.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 04:18:00 AM »
flashlight for me, at 72 I need them as I walk in a full hour prior to first light and walk out when I can no longer see.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 06:17:00 AM »
Using something the guy with the 7mm mag can see trumps using something the deer can't!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 06:58:00 AM »
I don't put lines in what someone wnats to uyse or shoot.  Have fun and ejoy.  But I'm with most here and think a $10.00 flashlight will work.  Plus I want to be seen as I move thru the woods in the dark.  It's a safty thing for me.
T ZZZZ

Offline Tradtical Commando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 07:05:00 AM »
NVGs are fun. I used to take mine home from my unit and me and my wife would go out sneaking up on armadillos at night.  Its like the gentleman said earlier… there is a learning curve…lol… and it is hilarious watching someone thats never used them before… if you wanted a set I doubt you would regret it even if just for enjoyments sake.

For hunting, I walk in the dark (on my place) and use a red lens flash light if I absolutely need to anywhere else. Its amazing how 5 minutes in the dark adjusts your vision.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
If that floats your boat...
Seems a bit over the top to me.  When the deer start shooting back I'll switch to nvg and an m-4...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©