3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Update new info need help arrows  (Read 331 times)

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Update new info need help arrows
« on: December 30, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
So on my previous post on quieting my bow I was told arrows are to weak and try paper tuning them again, so I did.

Bow:
Super Kodiak #50 at 28",
Draw length 26 3/4",
Aprox- #47

Arrows as of now:
 Gold Tip 600 carbon 30" 125 up front

Results:  Well even though they seem to fly good shooting the paper shows a little different.  I could not get a perfect bullet hole with my feathered arrows.  With my setup they were tearing half inch high and right. (Right Handed)
My lowest target point was 100 gr. and they didn't do any better.

Next I grabbed my bare shaft kit.  They are cut at 28" and included 600,500,and 400 spine arrows.  With 250 gr. field tips the 500's were to far out to even mess with so I went to my 600. Well the perfect bullet hole bare shaft was 145 gr. up front.

Now before I cut all my arrows down to 28" is a bare shaft paper tuning reliable?  All I have seen is the arrow being feathered paper tuning.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Update new info need help arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
I think your on track. Bare should be good. IMO I would cut and tune from there. I guess if your worried you could fletch the tune arrow and see.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 05:56:00 AM »
I think your on track. Bare should be good. IMO I would cut and tune from there. I guess if your worried you could fletch the tune arrow and see.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
I would go out and shoot first. If you have access to a 3d range great, if not shoot at a target out to 25 yards or so, preferably a large dark one to see arrow flight.

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
I would use a stiffer spine and add more weight up front.  I think your arrows are gonna be pretty light with a 600 spine and only 145 grains up front. now your looking at an arrow that is probably under 400 grains total weight.
your not even at 9 GPP.

I'd stick your info in Stu's Spine Calculator and start from there, Leave yourself room to adjust but that will put you in the ball park.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
I like to start off with a high nock point, double nock points, and quite weak to make sure I have a true weak high tear. This eliminates all the false stuff.

I don't have a problem shooting an arrow with a little high weak tear.  You don't need the perfect bullet hole.  

It sounds like your feathered 600 is showing stiff.  It should be on the weak side.  The 600 with 125 point is kind of a light arrow.  I personally would go with the 3555.  I think you can get a 175-200 point on that shaft with a standard insert to shoot well once you dial in the shaft length.  You don't say what other points you may have tried on the 28" 500 spine, but 250 should be on the weak side. Try 200 or 175.

I don't know what distance you are shooting paper, but try some different distances with your fletched 600 to make sure you are not getting false stiff due to the arrow flexing to much and whipping back in a correction. You will see this if you shoot say 6' out to 15' at a couple different intermediate distance.  You will see how the shaft is flexing at different point in flight as it stabilizes.

If you are getting a true tune on the 600 bare shaft paper shooting, I think you are a bit stiff and maybe low nock.  That would be the case for me.  The feathers added to the shaft will stiffen it more yet.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Okay so I shot a bit today and it seems that 600's at 30" with 145 gr.  Fly like darts!  Paper tune at different distances shows bullet holes except at 6' which as tear high.  Move back another 6' and its a perfect bullet hole.  20 yards on a black target and I cant see any flaw in the arrow as it is flying.  

My concern now is you guys thinking the arrow is to light.  I do not have the money to drop on another set right now, so will I be able to shoot deer with this set up.  Mind you I am a Florida boy and are deer are not big by any means last buck I shot maybe weighed 135 lbs.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Offline Jim Brennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
you could buy some weight tubes to get your weight up some.
62" toelke whip 55#@28" 56" thunderchild 49#@28 54" shrew classic hunter 50#@28

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Will the weight tubes effect the arrow flight (tuning)

Offline Jim Brennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
No they do not effect arrow flight
62" toelke whip 55#@28" 56" thunderchild 49#@28 54" shrew classic hunter 50#@28

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
I will look into it thanks.

Still messing around shooting and I am not wondering if my bow really isn't #50 at 28".  Everything I am reading and what you guys are saying seems to match all the information I can find except what my bow is doing. Arrow weight is 390.8 gr. I figured the weight per # is 8.31 gr.  That is if I am really shooting #47's .  If I take the 2 inches off the arrow it shoots closest to bullet hole with a 250 gr tip which is 468 gr.

We will see, a lot of work to add some weight.  Much respect to people that do this on their own

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©