3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow master trashing feathers?  (Read 768 times)

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow master trashing feathers?
« on: December 31, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
Still getting use to my new Arrowmaster. I only got  to hunt with it once. I had 6 2 blade BH  and one blunt. I pulled one BH arrow out and put it back in maybe 6 times the blunt a couple of times.
So today it's too cold to hunt and after today the season is over. So I thought I'd play around with my quiver a bit. I unloaded the BH arrows and the fletching was a little beat up. A couple the feathers were flattened to the shaft one the feathers were all bent  up and the one that went in and out the most looked just worn out.
I then put in 7 feild point arrows and they loaded and unloaded with ease. With minimal fletch damage.
 Has anyone else expeirienced this problem and Any advice or info to rectify it would be appreciated.
Thanks Tim

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow master trashing feathers?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
Tim,

Can't answer for the Arrowmaster problems BUT if you simply put your feathers in steam, they will bounce back to as new  condition.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
If you load your arrows from the middle slot rather than the open end, there's a greater tendency to mash up the feathers.  Also, the top rim of the quiver is malleable.  If it's oval or tear drop shape, can simply squeeze it to get a round top, which will compress the feathers less.  Because the feathers rest inside the quiver against the quiver wall, there will always be some mashing.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
If you load your arrows from the middle slot rather than the open end, there's a greater tendency to mash up the feathers.  Also, the top rim of the quiver is malleable.  If it's oval or tear drop shape, can simply squeeze it to get a round top, which will compress the feathers less.  Because the feathers rest inside the quiver against the quiver wall, there will always be some mashing.
X2

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
sorry  about  your  problem, I  use  the  arrow  master  and  have  never   had  any  problems  with  it, I  love  it !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by njloco:
sorry  about  your  problem, I  use  the  arrow  master  and  have  never   had  any  problems  with  it, I  love  it !
So you have 0 fletching damage? How do you configure your BHs  and how many arrows do you normally carry?

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
I just went and checked because I wasn't sure and I have six wood arrows with Simmons heads and two carbon judo point arrows in my Safari Tuff.

My feathers are always perfect which is one of the reasons I like this quiver.

I load the quiver from the top, spacing the arrows and sticking the broadhead into the foam.
I pull the arrow that is going on the bow out from the side slot and return it that way after the hunt. I slide it back in carefully and watch the feathers.

I am really surprised your feathers are getting mangled.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
My feathers get mangled pretty bad,  Its my only pet peave.  I am sure there is an easy remedy like reshaping the opening.

Even with this pet peave, Its still my most used quiver for hunting.

Often the feathers tak ethe original shape after a shot or two.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
No way to keep them right if you hunt a lot.  Constant removing and putting back, along with shifting as you move, no way to really prevent it.  Tight foam helps.

8 arrows has to be tight.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
I wouldn't say mangled but the arrows I use were brand new and freshly fletched and after a few days in the quiver they don't look that way anymore.
One of the main attributes of this quiver is. To keep fletching dry and protected. There must be a way to configure them like frank right said.  I don't like the idea of being  that fussy with how the arrows go in and out..and I don't like  damaged feathers either

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
Sorry double post

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
My feathers get messed up when they go through a deer any how   :bigsmyl:   If they get messed up in my Arrow Master I just steam them easy peasy.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »
Every type of quiver has it's pluses and minuses.  I use an arrow master and like it.  You do have to be careful loading arrows to protect the feathers. Its I trade off I can live with, but understand that others don't feel the same way. I carry 5 arrows, seems to work the best for me with that number.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »
I went elk hunting for three weeks in Idaho this passed season, ended up only hunting for two of the three weeks and fishing for the third. even with carrying the quiver on my back or lashing it to the ATV while driving it,  and hiking for hours with it on, I never had any problems with the feathers, were they perfect ? but none were damaged that I would notice or put it on the side. 4 with broadheads and two with judo's.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 12:35:00 AM »
zero noticeable feather damage here. and I generally load from the top. i can fit 5 into the duiker easy and I shoot 4 fletch, short feathers.
if you are loading em backwards thru the exit hole on side then yeah I would think youd see some feather damage.

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 01:21:00 AM »
you would want to be careful loading broad heads from the top also, or you might shave a feather. It works fine, you just can't ram and jam.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 05:42:00 AM »
i use an arrowmaster and duiker stuffed with arrows that have both large and small fletching and no feather damage.  not ever.  

what are you doing?  methinks maybe this problem is operator induced ... ?
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
Methinks too. I just pulled out my 6 arrows that have been in my Arrowmaster since Sept. and not a bent or ruffled feather. One thing I do when I load several arrows is I lay the quiver horizontal across my knee and carefully slide them in. You can feel and hear the feathers slide up into the quiver and tell by feel and sound if you are mashing them up.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
I like this quiver a lot and have used it for years and will continue to, but if you hunt with it, you will have squished fletching.  I have strapped it on my climber, attached it to may elk pack, and strapped it to an atv.  It happens especially when it sits in there awhile which can happened strapped to my climber.  

They get squished as the quiver is not hard cased...that too is a trade-off verses a hard one like the dogg (sp?) quiver.

I run my finger on the fletch backwards...good to go.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
Well, I do really like the quiver.and thinking about it I did load my BH arrows kinda off to the side I wanted  to see how many I could fit  I got six in easy with plenty of room for more or some blunts. I'm thinking if I load my BH more in the center and space them a little better I might not get as much fletch damage.
Thanks for the responses everyone it's nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem.
Tim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©