3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear T/D Owners: Need Help (Pics Added)  (Read 317 times)

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear T/D Owners: Need Help (Pics Added)
« on: December 31, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
Just received my first Bear T/D.  New black maple "A" riser and new #3 limbs.  Having one small issue.  The tapped hole for the lower limb locator screw is not tapped square, so the locator screw does not sit square.  So, I cannot get the lower limb to seat over the locator screw.

The misalignment is minor but enough to keep the limb from seating.  Do you think I could file the screw head to make it fit, without affecting the overall limb fit?

I bought this riser from a sponsor here on TG, though he is not a Bear dealer.  He had this riser for sale, and it never had limbs mounted on it, so he was likely unaware of the issue.  But I'm unsure if Bear would make it right if need be, though I haven't checked with them or the TG sponsor yet.

Wanted to get some opinions first.  If anyone has encountered an issue like this, and if it's an easy fix or if I should look at having the riser replaced.

Thanks for your input!
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear T/D Owners: Need Help (Pics Added)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
If it is the screw I am thinking about, remove it. I have done this with my 3 risers. Many moons ago this was discussed in relation to using old limbs on new risers and new limbs on older risers. At that time no one had issues taking out that pesky screw. Another concern was a possible squeak noise coming from the screw when the bow is drawn.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
I'd send it back. Maybe just a minor thing but you paid good money for quality. Could just be a bent thread as well.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
I had a similar problem.  I don't know if this will help but I'll offer up what I found with my riser.

When I attempted to attach my bottom limb, it would not seat.  I initially believed either the limb hole, or maybe the alignment pin on the riser, was out of place.  Without another riser to compare it to, or having another set of limbs, I really didn't know which was misaligned: the limb-hole or the riser locator pin.

I prepared to send it back and took one more look at it.   What I found was the small allen screw that holds the spring latch mechanism to the riser was not screwed in enough to allow the limb to seat.   One tightening turn with the appropriate allen wrench solved the problem.

As I said, I'm not sure if this could be the problem with yours.  I thought I would throw it out there just in case.  Until I saw that the allen screw was preventing the limb from seating, I was positive it was an alignment issue with the limb-hole and riser locator pin.  Good luck.

Offline Bob Gulliksen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
Take it out. All it's there for is to keep you from putting the top in the bottom and bottom in the top.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
Jeff has a good point.  Looks like the alignment pin is in square.  If the alignment hole in the limb is actually cockeyed, you could redrill it if you have a drill press.  If memory serves, the hole has a brass collar. But you shouldn't need to redrill it.  Would probably send it back to the factory to have them do it if that's the problem.  

It may be, too, that the limb is not sliding far enough forward, i.e., the butt is hitting the back of the bracket before the hole and pin come into alignment.  I've had this happen with a set of older limbs. Very careful and very little sanding of the butt end of the limb brought everything into alignment.  Depending on how big the gap is, filing off a bit of the screw head would also work. Might want to try jockeying it around a bit more.  Sometimes they just fit very tightly and it takes a while to snap into place.

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'll play around with it a little this evening and see if I can't tweak the fit.  Regarding the latch screw:  the limb does seem to bottom out on it, but I can't get any more tightening out of it to turn it down.  Are they usually loctited in?  I'm trying to be careful not to either break the latch screw or my allen head bit.  Again, thanks guys.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
I backed the allen screw out all the way at first and then applied some wax on it to lubricate the threads a little.  When I screwed it back in I just went in far enough that the limb would seat without rubbing or hitting against the head of the allen screw.  As I recall the screw was fairly tight when I tried to turn it.   Adding the wax helped it go in smoother and I haven't had any trouble with it vibrating loose.   The tightness may be cause by the screw/latch coating 'grabbing' (?).

Offline Hamishhog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
I had a similar problem and the solution given by jeff w above worked for me too.

Offline bswear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »
I had this same problem and initially solved it by taking the screw out.  However, if you ask Bear they will tell you the screw prevents putting on the wrong limb and also keeps tiller in tune.  Since I have always preferred the OEM solution over the shade tree variety I went looking for something else or the whole thing was going back to Florida.  I fixed mine by swapping the top and bottom screws.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
If a new riser and made by Bear Archery it should be sent back in my opinion, there is too little accountability in the world these days and you shouldn't have to cobble it to make it work.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
I have spoke to them about the allen head screw and they said they will take care of it. They don't have a problem with the new limbs fitting (I suppose the occasional new limb may not). They had to change that screw from a button head to a taller head and it gets in the way on the older limbs. Yes, it is in there tight and you want to be careful, but if you remove as mentioned earlier and then re install with a little wax, that should solve the problem.
Or Bear will be more than happy to correct the issue. that being said, even if they fixed it the same moment they received and re shipped. your looking at round trip shipping time of at least a week and a half plus all the rough handling by the shipping service....might make more sense to try to adjust the screw (not alignment screw, but the locking lever screw).
Or you could always call us for help.
thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©