3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aluminum Wood Carbon....  (Read 549 times)

Offline doubletime

• Trad Bowhunter
Aluminum Wood Carbon....
« on: September 13, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
So Im new to trad archery and getting set up. I wanted to see what every ones arrow prefrences are and why. Pros and cons of each?   :archer:

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aluminum Wood Carbon....
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
Wood.  But then I'm a little prejudice about it.

Dennis

Offline doubletime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
very cool Dennis, I will keep you inmind if I go the wood rout. Is there any specific reason that you are such a big fan of wood other than your company and your ability to make your own arrows? (What makes a wood arrow better than an aluminum?)

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
Wood... It's just an aesthetics thing. I like the way they look, I like how quiet they are, the simplicity of them, they're relatively inexpensive, etc. I also really enjoy making them [which is good, since I like to hunt squirrels!].

You will get all kinds of opinions, but that's just what they are (just like mine). A well constructed, well tuned (to the bow) arrow, whether it be wood, aluminum, or carbon, will perform about equally well for you.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
Wood for me too.  However, I started out with Al and think that might be a good choice if you are just starting out.  They are readily available and there are several charts (not Easton's)that will give a good idea where to begin.  Carbon seems to be a little more difficult to tune for some folks.  They (CE Heritage) tune fine for me and they have many good attributes but they are just not for me.  

I just love shooting cedars; sweet looking, sweet smelling, quiet, easy to tune, and it simply feels right to me.
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
Wood for me too , just because I like them
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Offline pjsnell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
I would suggest aluminum for a beginner.  They are the easiest option if you just want to get  shooting, but don't know much about making arrows.  
Once you've been shooting awhile, you can research wood and carbon a little more.  My personal preference is wood, but I mostly shoot aluminums.  I recently switched to a different bow (longbow) and getting good arrow flight from wood shafts has been a problem.  I bought six Easton gamegetters based on their spine charts, and they fly really well.

Offline jkurtz7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 04:09:00 PM »
I like wood and aluminum. I love building wood arrows. There is a lot of pride in a well built set of woodies that you make yourself and, to you own specs. Aluminum arrows are quick and easy to build. I experimented with carbons a few years ago and ended up ditching them. I just couldn't get them to work for me.
I'll be using wood this year for hunting.

Jeremy
Bear Kodiak Hunter

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
Aluminum was my choice at the beginning. Tried carbon too...............but there is a certain charm that only wood posesses-for me anyway.
To each his own.

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
You guys have said it all. Wood for me to.
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Offline STRAYARROW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
I started out with wood then switched to aluminum for a confidence builder in my shooting because they are straighter out of the box.(a mental thing?)But since I started making a board bow I will shoot wood arrows with that.
                             Tracy

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
Wood (POC or Lam Birch)for my longbows... Just the tradition and beauty of a wood arrow.

Aluminum for my recurves. They are easy to find, inexpensive and easy to work with.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Once you get a carbon tuned to your set up there is no comparison in durability. I have shot all three but the carbons outlast the other two when you hit something hard. Good Luck making your decision.  :thumbsup:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
Carbon.  Tough as a steel ball.  Best value IMO.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
Aluminum for me. Can't come to terms with carbons so far though I'm still looking. Hard to find woodies at the spine I want and when I do they are pretty pricey. Love wood though....too bad.                                Grant

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
WOOD!  As Mr. G.Fred Asbell states in his book "Instinctive Shooting"..."There aren't a lot of things more pleasurable than building wood arrows.  It pleases me partly, I guess, because there are few things of importance remaining in our sport that can be done by hand......Wood arrows by hand are part of my barrier against technological encroachment....the satisfaction of building and shooting the product of your own efforts is something you'll not find for sale...not at any price."  I couldn't said it better myself!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
Wood arrows are great, but if you are new to traditional archery I would suggest aluminum until you know yourself around a bit better.

Properly sized aluminum are more readily available
than wood. Good quality wood arrows will probably need to be ordered. Carbon arrows can be fussy to
get to fly right.

Building your own arrows is a joy, especially if they are wood. Carbon and aluminum are good, but there aint nothing like making up a bunch of wood arrows.

Its all good as the saying goes, but I would suggest getting started with aluminum.

Offline Cupcake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
WOOD.  Then you will need a really nice spine tester.  LOL   ;)  

I started down the wood road and decided I needed a spine tester.  So I designed a spine tester because I wasn't all that crazy about the ones available.  I have not yet built any wood arrows but I sure think about them a lot; and I can spine test them now - as soon as I get time...

Of course, I will have to also get some feather choppers and splice feathers and ...

But, when I started shooting four years ago I used aluminum and I agree that they are a good place for beginers.  Heck, you will soon make hockey sticks out of them and have an excuse to try something different.  Carbons are very good and I am shooting them out of some of my bows.  You may need a spine tester for those also since the consistancy might be questionable.
Kevin

Offline doubletime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
Ok Guys,
So the general consensis is that most like wood but would recomend starting with AI as a newby. That being said can you all recomend a brand and spine stiffness for my 45@28 Kodiak Mag? Im a 28-28,1/2 draw so what length arrow a 29-30? I have some wasp broadheads I was planning on useing if I went with AI. Not sure on the grain weight. Thanks for all the great advise so far, keep it comeing.

Offline Cupcake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 11:48:00 PM »
A 30" 2016 with 100-125gr. would be good.  They fly well from my recurve that I draw to 48 pounds.  A 1916 at 29" would also be good.  Check out the bareshaft tuning methods on OL Adcock's website.
Kevin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©