3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does anyone else ground-hunt only?  (Read 1921 times)

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does anyone else ground-hunt only?
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
I climbed a tree 3 times this year, I much prefer the comfort and safety of the ground. Natural blinds can be made in the early spring or summer, another fun thing to do while out scouting or during a lull in turkey hunting...

If I get bored in one spot I still-hunt to another area and sit for a change of scenery. That's probably when the deer move through where I just left.   :knothead:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
I haven't climbed a tree in 7 years, I own a primos blind which is very effective but I felt detached from the hunt in the dark room.
 For four years I have used a ghillie and have had some incredible experiences being close to game.Several years ago I held my breath waiting for a buck to walk far enough away for me to draw my bow. That is hunting.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 09:45:00 AM »
I sit in front of a tree on a foam cushion in good camo probably killed a 100 deer doing that over the last 40 years. No blind.

Do the same with my shotgun hunting turkey's and if you can fool their eyes deer with my bow are easy. I practice shooting sitting down with my back against a tree in my yard. It's different when your bow is nearly parallel with the ground.

Tree stands are ok I've used them but think they really only are a big advantage to gun hunters because you can see way off. I haven't gun hunted deer in many years I bow hunt only even in gun season which is legal here in ga

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
Ground only, though I hunt more coyote than deer.  Even before the chair I was never a good climber.  Rather sit in a natural blind or an artificial one.  Want to make a ghillie suit fir this year though.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
Another ground-only hunter here.  Like Jerry Jeffer above I usually sit/stand/kneel quietly in view of a deer trail, although I occasionally stalk if I see action where I'm not.  I don't wear camo or a ghillie suit either; usually just a plaid shirt and slacks (and orange vest if required by the state I'm in.  Deer are not particularly bothered by humans who are not dressed in large blocks of solid bright colors...
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Online hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
Traditional ground hunter al year except first day of gun season.  Then I'll climb a tree and stand on a limb or in a crotch.   Bad experience some years back on the first day in the mountain laurel on ground.  My bad, they couldn't see me.  Had wood chips all over the place in fresh snow.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
I think both treestand and ground hunting have their advantages. When I started deer hunting in 1975, the only treestands available were the Baker [death traps], my dad bought a few for us but I never killed a deer from a treestand in my 38 years of deer hunting.

Sold my treestands 7 or 8 yars ago. I've been debating buying a couple more stands for next year but I haven't convinced myself yet. lol
Killed all my deer from the ground here in south Alabama. I've hunted 80% of my hunting years from the ground.

Even though there are times a treestand would be an advantage in certain situations, I've noticed that hunting from the ground is more adaptable to the area I'm hunting than a treestand.
You have to face the fact that most hunters today think it is strange to think you can take a deer from the ground.
I get some strange looks around here when folks find out I hunt from the ground. lol

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
Thats all I do. Don't like heights at all. Tried to practice shooting out of a stand this summer but couldn't get over the height and shoot comfortable. Sold the stand.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
britt, I like the idea of being able to see more of the area around me from a treestand but about 10-12 ft is all I can handle, never been crazy bout heights.

Lot of the woods I hunt in close to my house, a treestand limits my shooting lanes because of the thick swamp trees. Unless I'm on a firelane or pipeline,ect..a ground blind is more adaptable.

I like reading these threads, they help convince me not to buy anymore treestands.   :)

Seriously, I think both are good ways to hunt but hunting from the ground seems more like fun .vs a chore, for me.

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
Ground hunt only here.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
Ground pounder here.  Love it.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline marsh chicken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
can anyone recommend a good portable stool or chair to sit in while ground hunting to eliminate movement trying to get up while preparing for a shot at a deer or whatever.

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
I've been pounding for about the last ten years off and on more on the last five years. Love the ground!
Marsh Chicken, I've had about every stool or seat that one could own, I now have the "Spot 360" (sponsor here) and it's the best I've used.
Conny

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
Been on the ground for a while......just seems more like hunting to me, not waiting. I guess it's the same but to me it seems different.   :dunno:   I know when a deer is at 3 yards and you can count whiskers and eye lashes it is pretty neat!   :cool:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
Just read my cyber name.......  :D
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
I'm a 100% tree hunter for whitetails. I love climbing trees, I love the view from trees....I just love trees! Been in the trees bowhunting since 1970.

When I was in the 4th-5th grade my family had a large elm in the front yard. I spent the better part of many days in that tree. (It was the only peace I could get with 4 brothers and a sister!)

I can spend hours sitting in a treestand but I'm not patient enough to hunt from the ground.

When the critter I'm hunting is best hunted from the ground I'm fine with it. I hunt on the ground for spring turkey and when I hunt out west.

I would like to try a little ground hunting for whitetails maybe next season, God willing. Just for a little different perspective.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
I hunted very little this year due to circumstances beyond my control, but I am trying to hunt more and more from the ground. I have built some good brush blinds and have a couple of natural ambush spots that require no special preparation. as I get older, I just like being closer to the ground.
Sam

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
I've never hunted from a tree stand.  Don't think I ever will.

Just read this sad story today.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/01/alabama-hunter-in-serious-condition-after-falling-from-tree-landing-on-arrow/?intcmp=latestnews
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
Just when I think I'm going to hang stands the "Hunter Falls From Treestand" threads start appearing. I've chickened out the last three years and have hunted from the ground only. I killed my first deer from the ground this year and I believe I'm hooked.

I do miss being in a tree sometimes. I'm just not so sure it is worth the risk. I'm trying to convince myself to sell all my stands.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
Just when I think I'm going to hang stands the "Hunter Falls From Treestand" threads start appearing. I've chickened out the last three years and have hunted from the ground only. I killed my first deer from the ground this year and I believe I'm hooked.

I do miss being in a tree sometimes. I'm just not so sure it is worth the risk. I'm trying to convince myself to sell all my stands.
I feel your pain. I've already sold mine, debating on buying some more stands...we'l see.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©