3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: AD shafts…not overly impressed!  (Read 615 times)

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
AD shafts…not overly impressed!
« on: December 31, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
I'm not the guy that legitimizes purchases by saying everything I've spent money on is good. I tell it like it is.

That said, I purchased a test kit of AD shafts…the combo with a Trad, Trad lite, Plus the same 2 in the heavier shafts. I tried all of them with all point weights up to 300 grains out of my #58 r/c, #56 r/c, and #59 50's style r/c.

I can see how guys like them…in that none of them fly bad..but…none seem to fine tune like other shafts I've used. Jon Simoneau had a thread a while back about how they liked a real low brace height,,,, and they seem to fly best out of my Saxon Selkirk with a very low brace height.

I'm not done my testing, but not nearly as impressed as I am with FMJ's. I'll keep trying!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: AD shafts…not overly impressed!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »
I tried them as well and my results were the same. Much less than impressed.

Love my Full Metal Jackets. Truly High quality shafts.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
Whatever floats your boat.  They fly great for me.  Hammer Head Trads

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 12:01:00 AM »
I'm with the OP. now with that said I feel they are good shafts, just not a magic, cure all shaft like they have been for others.  I got some from a member and got them to work, and the fly well just not a mystical ,no-need to tune arrow. And for me tey seem less forgiving, but that is also because I did not fine tune them like my heritage or ICS bowhunters.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 12:03:00 AM »
I'm with the OP. now with that said I feel they are good shafts, just not a magic, cure all shaft like they have been for others.  I got some from a member and got them to work, and the fly well just not a mystical ,no-need to tune arrow. And for me tey seem less forgiving, but that is also because I did not fine tune them like my heritage or ICS bowhunters.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 12:20:00 AM »
Ryan, I appreciate your candor.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »
Thnx Ryan! Honest reviews are a good thing.

I never change a winning team and keep using my Gold Tip Traditionals.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
years ago they where good maybe 12yrs ago I forget but when they first came out they where the best carbon arrow.   then for whatever reason they changed the formula and then wrapped the front of the shafts some more and they never shot the same. spine testers showed the spines where all different (same as gold tips at that time)    I think I have 3 dozen left from years ago because they where being bought up so fast everyone hoarded them but that all changed and everyone I shot with at the time moved on to other brands.

I do remember the nocks would break and get stuck in the shaft when stump shooting so we started cutting the shafts back from the nock end first just enough till a CX nock would fit then after that we'd finish cutting them at the front to correct BOP size.
"Us vs Them"

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
I did the same thing Ryan. Still shooting my FMJs
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
Hey Ryan I've generally had really good luck with them and have killed a bunch of critters with them but my buddy has a bow that we simply cannot get them to fly out of no matter what we try. Interesting. Having said that though guys, I've never tried the FMJ's, but I've heard lots of good things about them. Good luck out there guys!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by FerretWYO:
I did the same thing Ryan. Still shooting my FMJs
Ditto, but many, many years ago.  Same with those similar Grizzly Sticks...

Easton shafts of every kind are those which all others are compared to.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
When you are all done, if you don't like them you can send them my way.    :saywhat:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
Wow, I can't find a better flying shaft from my bows, especially when using broadheads.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
My experience with them has been sort of "indifferent" myself.  They fly ok, but not as good as my cedars, or some aluminum that I have.  When I bought them (used off the classifieds) they had 100 grain inserts in them.  With every weight point I tried they hit 6-8" right of my normal shafts.  Bought some standard aluminum inserts and helped that problem.  They don't fly bad, but still don't group as tight for me.

Offline Broofinez

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
I was very dissapointed in the weight difference in 1/2 dozen,  30 grains between the lightest and heaviest. Dont know if thats normal or not.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
I truly like shooting AD Trad Lites out of certain bows.

Bows that are cut short of center, I believe they are an exceptional choice.  The live up to their billing as giving good arrow flight with very little tuning.

I also, however, have bows that just won't shoot them well.  The common factor is that none of my bows that are cut past center shoot these arrows really well.

AD's are an awesome arrow, IMO.  They shoot well out of several of my bows.  I hunted Sike deer on Virginia's Eastern Shore with them and one of my MOAB's this year, so I have a ton of confidence in them.  But if I'm shooting my Eagle Wing Steppe Eagle or one of my Kwyk Styks.....I'm shooting CX Heritage or Victory VForce HV's
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Like my ADs, but wish I would have hung onto my FMJs that I sold on the classifieds for a huge discount.  I'm keeping my eyes open for a new batch.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Ken...very true in my testing so far! My short of center cut bow seems to like them the best of the bows I've tried. My bows cut beyond center shoot them alright but not as well as other arrows...HMMM!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Broofinez:
I was very dissapointed in the weight difference in 1/2 dozen,  30 grains between the lightest and heaviest. Dont know if thats normal or not.
The AD website says plus or minus 7 grains for at least some of their arrows...not confidence inspiring for me especially with your experience

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »
I'm sure you know what you are doing but maybe give it another try on another day? Coulda just been a bad day. Maye file the nock for looser nock fit? (make sure its a day with zero wind) I Use them full length, they are pretty stiff.
 I find the wood grains ones less "magic" for some reason. I don't like them. The black ones work awesome for me.
You should be able to go up and down 25 gr from your optimum point and still have a hunt able setup.
I can't find a recipe I like with the wood grain ones. The 50 grain heavier shaft does something that makes me need 25-50 more grains up front. So the arrow gets too heavy for my liking. I'm not a fan of heavy arrows. 580-600 gr seems to be plenty for anything in North America.
My recipe for AD shafts is as follows  AD black shaft full length, standard insert, 175-200 grain point. The finished arrow is 580-605 gr.  My bow is a Black Widow 51@29 drawn to 31 1/2".
That set up gives me really good speed and the bow is quiet. That AD shaft just lays out there at 25-30 yards compared to other shafts. It feels like I get 5 extra yards of hunting range with them. Penetration is beyond anything I have used.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©