3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel Whitetail Bootcamps  (Read 936 times)

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wensel Whitetail Bootcamps
« on: January 01, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
As a TG sponsor I wanted to announce 2013 marked the rebirth of my trophy whitetail bootcamps. After discontinuing them for a couple years, I decided to try a couple more on a trial basis. Because of their popularity I've decided to consider three more bootcamp sessions in 2014.
#1- March 20-21-22, 2014
#2- April 3-4-5, 2014
#3- April 10-11-12, 2014
These sessions are in demand because they work. I've previously stated, you can read all the books, go to the seminars, watch the DVDs, etc. and that's all fine, but when someone takes you out into the woods and actually points things out in the practical applications, there lies the true learning and understanding.
I located an excellent local facility in south/central Iowa to host the three-day sessions. It's a modern lodge-type home that will sleep fifteen folks in a hunting camp environment.
The general format will be very similar to 2013 except I have added another excellent parcel of timber to share. I'm getting up in years so we're going to slow down and go over each place with a fine tooth comb. These sessions will take place on two of my own personal hunting farms. I will point out my own personal treestand set-ups and explain why, when and how I hunt each of them, exit/entrance/timing, etc.
Frankly, I don't know how much longer I'll be able to continue these educational sessions. I've decided to schedule them on an annual basis as possible. This COULD be the last chance for this opportunity. I do enjoy sharing knowledge gained through many years of trail and error. What you will learn can be used personally at home and hopefully handed down to future generations. Basically, a lifetime of hunting techniques and theories will be condensed into a three-day weekend.
Bootcamp sessions will run Thursday, Friday and Saturdays with all day Friday and Saturday in the timber for the field work. I have kept the price identical to what I charged ten years ago. All lodging and meals are included in the price. Individual adult rates will be $895. each. Youth rates (age 14-18 yrs.) will be 50% off with one paying adult. Sessions will be limited to approximately fifteen attendees.
Typical guided whitetail hunts sell for upwards of $1000. per day with meals and lodging included. For $895. you get three days that will change the way you hunt whitetails for the rest of your life. This is a unique opportunity to compare your hunting techniques with tried and true new methods. If you would like to consider joining the group please email me at: [email protected]. Here's to a really Happy New Year. Thanks. BW

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel Whitetail Bootcamps
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
If you don't get in on these fast you will regret it trust me.
I went last year and learned more than you can begin to imagine! Great fun and very worthwhile !
Barry and Susan are great folks!!!     :bigsmyl:   Don't wait!
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
Guys , You had better take advantage of this opportunity. I went last spring and abtained a wealth of knowledge. It was pretty cool to walk the very woods that Barry has shot some of his deer in. It will be the best $895 you will ever spend.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
It's really good stuff and I had a really good time last year. I considered going back for a "second helping" this year but just can't swing it. Don't miss it guys!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
Folks, this is an incredible opportunity if you are serious about hunting mature whitetails. You won't regret it, I promise.

I attended Barry's Bootcamp last spring and truly believe it's the best investment I've ever made when it comes to deer hunting. I've hunted whitetails a long time with good success so when I considered attending bootcamp last spring I wondered if I'd really benefit a great deal from the experience.  I finally decided, what the heck, hanging out with Uncle Barry for a week will probably be worth the price of admission so I sent my deposit.  

While going through bootcamp I started thinking about all the things I could do on the properties I hunt here in Missouri to up my odds.  I left Iowa inspired.  I put some of Barry's wisdom in to play last spring, summer and fall and will continue to build on those teachings in seasons to come. To see where he does it, how he does it and most importantly why he does it, is priceless.

Barry's wife Susan fed us very very well and was an absolute pleasure to be around. The facility is amazing as well.  

Here's a PM that I sent to Uncle Barry earlier this winter.

"Hi Barry,
Hey just wanted to let you know I'm seeing more and better bucks on the same properties Ive hunted for 30 years. I attribute a great deal of that to your whitetail boot camp. I haven't dropped the string yet this year but have had some very close encounters. In each of those encounters the bucks never knew they were being hunted, it just didn't work out.
Hope you are having a great season.
Good Luck and Thanks, Daryl"
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
I gotta figure out a way to make this happen.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline jsparky93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
Man I would love to go to one of these, may have to have a chat with my boss about taking a Thurs off.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
Yea. I agree with everything Daryl said. My season this year has been much better than the last few seasons. I did a lot more scouting after the bootcamp. Setup a lot of trees. Had more close calls as well as deer I passed up even with my fairly limited amount to hunt and even though I hunted public land. The thing is, my buddy and I have come up with some great ideas for our areas and we have much more work to do. We BOTH shot good bucks this year with our recurves but we also both experienced almost unbelievable bad luck in that we did not recover either of them. (We rarely shoot and lose deer). But after a bunch of pansy type whining we both shook it off. In fact we have some weekends scheduled this February to scout each other's areas and see what we can do for each other. Two heads are better than one!

Offline Nattybumppo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
Sent you an email Mr. Wensel. Very interested.
Stalker Coyote #53
Northern Mist #55
Hoyt Buffalo #55
Compton Member

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 05:17:00 AM »
Mr. Wensel, If I may make a suggestion?

I hope you're considering letting someone video the experience, for those of us that just can't afford it. Don't get me wrong, I know that this is a great value, it's just imposible for me with my current living situation & income level. I'm sure that there are plenty of others in the same boat, that could come up with $25-$30 plus S&H, that would make it worth your while. Again, just a suggestion, humbly & respectfully offered.

Good on ya for holding these bootcamps and sharing your wealth of knowledge at a very reasonable rate! And may the good Lord bless you with many more years & opportunities to share your talents with the world.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
Tony: Thanks for your suggestion. I've considered doing that for years. I'm afraid it likely wouldn't turn out like I wanted it for logistical purposes. It would be very hard to grasp what a person would see on video with reality. In other words, when you are standing in one spot and I am going over the pieces of the puzzle and detail it's easy to look around to see how everything lines up/ fits together, knowing which way you entered, how it all relates to everything else, directions, etc. (it's even hard to explain). Yes, a camera could turn a full circle but the viewer wouldn't necessarily be able to absorb the detail and adjust to the experience. An analogy would be to film jumping out of an airplane versus actually doing it. That's probably not a great example but I'm saying watching footage of jumping from a plane wouldn't get your heart pounding anywhere near like physically doing it. Or, like watching a war movie compared to being there. Like I said, it's hard to explain but I think it'd come out totally different. The general consensus of opinion is the viewer might, or might not, find it possible to grasp the concept portrayed by looking at a video of it. I'd welcome feedback and/or suggestions. Thanks. Also, thank you all for the great comments listed above. I really appreciate that. Happy New Year to all. BW

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
Barry- I would agree to a point. I did the course a few years back. I took a pile of pictures. But when I looked at them later I found it hard to relate to what I remembered. I should have taken more notes. But that's hard to do when you're walking or trying to pay attention.
The only way I see it working is to film a session and do the same talk/walk thru for that year. But only the attendees would get it. There are some things that Barry shows you while out in the field that you couldn't see or relate to on film.
Bottom line is, you have to be there to get it.
I learned a lot from Boot Camp. There are two extremely big points to use IMO and I'm not telling.
There was a guy from Michigan video taping our session and said he would send a copy to everyone. I contacted him a few times but never heard back.
You need to go! You won't regret it.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
Having had the pleasure of spending some time in the whitetail woods with Barry, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt it is not going to work as a video. Three days with Barry and a hard core group of guys intent on LEARNING is a huge bargain at $895. It would still be a HUGE bargain if lodging and Susan's fantastic cooking were not involved!

Go with confidence, you will not be disappointed. No matter how much experience you have, some lights will go on after spending some time with Barry.

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
Everyone I have spoken to over the years that attended Uncle Barry's BOOT CAMP said it was $ well spent and wished they had done it sooner !! I am so glad UB decided to run camp again,I signed up and am really looking forward to being a student.
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
You really need mud on your feet to get the full benefit of the camp.

I agree with the above posters that a video just wouldn't work.  While a video with an accompanying map diagram could get you close, there's too many little details that would be lost.    

And then there's all the questions that are asked by students, such as, Why not here? or Why there?  What if you did this?  Barry's answers to the "whys, what ifs and when" often are unveiled an hour or more after the question is asked, once students have seen more pieces of the puzzle.  

I'd love to go again, thought about calling Susan and asking if she needed an assistant.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
Trap/Daryl: You're too handsome to be my wife's assistant  8^)  bw

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
:biglaugh:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »
worth a shot

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 01:26:00 AM »
Dang I sure wish I had the money for this.  Sounds like a great experience from a great teacher.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
See how the other half lives. Barry had a cancellation a few years ago and called me to fill the spot. I went to the bootcamp to compare how my father taught me to hunt with the experts.  I had a great experience and would like to go back. The ground is unbelievable and I think about that trip all the time but I am a little OCD when it comes to whitetail hunting.  I just need a consistent wind and a nice buck to hunt. Both are hard to find in the mountains. Don't miss a great opportunity to go.  Tim in NC.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©