3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: American Leathers - Big Shot Crossover Review - A+  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
American Leathers - Big Shot Crossover Review - A+
« on: January 01, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
American Leather’s Big Shot Crossover Glove Review:

American Leathers:
Lets start with information about the company.  This is an American company that uses exclusively American materials to fill their orders.  In today’s world of outsourcing and cost cutting, it’s nice to support a fellow American who cares about the quality of their products more than the bottom line.  

American Leathers offers free glove sizing by faxing a tracing of your hand to ensure the perfect fit every time.  When I faxed them my hand size, I was called the same day with sizing recommendations and was told if the sizing didn’t work for me, because I was likely right in between their Large and XL, but they could make me whatever size I needed if the Large or Extra Large didn’t fit so that their product would work for me.  I asked to start with a large as I prefer a tight fit to a loose fit.  

I also discussed with the owner over the phone about the string feel and the release qualities of the glove before deciding on the crossover over the Big Shot.  After describing my climate and hunting preferences, we both decided that buffalo would be the preferred material for my glove due to high tensile strength and that I live in a very humid environment and will be sweating in it throughout the warmer months.  

My order was processed quickly over the phone.  Two days after my card was charged, my product arrived at home.  Needless to say, customer service was fantastic.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Re: American Leathers - Big Shot Crossover Review - A+
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
Packaging:
I don’t care in the least about packaging but it is a reflection of the business’s attention to detail and American Leathers has done an exceptional job.  My glove came in basic, but attractive packaging.  It looks nice, but it wasn’t extravagant so it wouldn’t drive up the costs unnecessarily.  

The bag has the label stapled at the bottom so you can open the bag without tearing through the packaging.  This would be nice so you could try a product in a local store, although my local shop doesn’t carry these products.  Inside was a note with a short, simple message about how to care for and protect your glove.  My receipt was on some nice paper rather than standard white paper.  Also included were two business cards with contact information.  All in all, packaging was great in that it was simple, inexpensive, and yet stood out as a slight notch above what most stuff gets in terms of attention to detail.  

Yet again, packaging is certainly not a big deal to the hunter, but this just goes to show the kind of attention to detail that American Leathers provides.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
Build Quality:

Not to sound like a broken record but this is made from American materials.  These materials are hand selected to be the very best quality materials available, not to cut costs and drive profits.  When American Leathers has difficulty with sourcing materials of proper quality, they don’t settle for inferior materials.  Instead, they just temporarily discontinue that product until they can get in stuff that meets their expectations.  This means a lot to me and gives me assurance that what I am getting is not just an afterthought of making a living but rather a planned and executed product designed for the user who wants the very best.  

Each piece of leather is then hand selected and cut based on the direction of the grain to keep stretching to a minimum and ensure the best fit over the long haul.  Yet again, another attention to detail that gives the very best product available.  The stitching is nice, even, and without any lose threads that can be seen on the inside or outside of the glove.  Where the leather meets, it is also glued to prevent rolling of the edges of the leather and there is no excess glue dripping out of the joints of the leather.  All of the leather in the fingerstalls has been rounded off in the corners and made nice and tight.  In addition to this the inside of the glove is lined with more buffalo hide, smooth side in for the very best feel possible.  The colors are a medium brown and black that shouldn’t stand out in the woods and spook game.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
Fitting:

Yet again, American Leathers offered the free hand tracing fax to ensure proper fitting.  They also offered to make one to fit if a stock size didn’t work for me.  

The neoprene knuckles allow the glove to stretch over the back of your hand when you flex your hand into a fist shape rather than being rigid like some all leather gloves.  This helps keep the fingerstalls tight on an extended hand as well as one that has the fingers flexed at full draw.

The fingerstalls came a little tight with regards to circumference but they will loosen up ever so slightly with some use and then be form fitted to my hand perfectly.  The fingerstalls have rounded corners that come right at the middle joint in your fingers when flexed.  The edges of the stalls didn’t bite into my hand, but the stalls also covered the entire finger beyond that joint with the fingers flexed like you would at full draw.  This was an absolute PERFECT fitting fingerstall.  

The wrist strap was cut to angle back up the wrist, which is a detail a lot of gloves don’t have.  This is perfect for a shooting glove because of the way the tension is dispersed across the wrist strap.  Physics dictates for the strap to be higher on the palm side of the wrist than the back side and it was cut to lie in the perfect position across your wrist without stretching out the strap material.  

The fit of this glove is superior to ALL other archery gloves I have tried.  It is a fit that has to be experienced to truly understand how wonderful it feels.

Extended hand:

Partially flexed hand:

Flexed hand:

String Feel:

The stalls are thick enough to protect your fingers from the string well, but flexible enough that you have a positive idea of where the string is on the stalls.  The hide is slick and releases the string quickly and quietly.  It has just enough friction to feel stable on the draw and not overly slick like some of the calf hair releases that make it feel like it’s going to let go of the string.  It gives the very best feeling on the string of any glove or tab that I have ever used.  It’s simply the perfect blend of protection vs. suppleness and slick yet not slippery.   It has given me very clean and consistent releases right from the start.  Most new release aids I try have a break in period and I keep going back to my original tab.  This glove exceeded my expectations for string feel and I am most confident that I won’t be going back to my old standby tab after trying this glove.

Ergonomics and Ease of Use:

As for how the glove interacts with the archer and bow, it’s just right and covered above.  There is however a couple more things worth mentioning.  By using a glove, the archer and hunter can easily cut out the finger tips of their favorite hunting gloves then wear this underneath giving you the exact same feel year round but with the added bonus of warm hands in winter.  Because it stretches over the knuckles it remains tight and won’t bunch up under gloves for warmth.  

Also the combination of the supple, but tough buffalo leather and the neoprene gives you a nice tight fitting glove that allows you to easily remove arrows and/or go through your pockets or hunting bag with the glove on.  Some of the other gloves I’ve had and most tabs just feel awkward and in the way when reaching into a pocket or at the range removing arrows.  So, I’ve found myself taking them on and off repeatedly during practice.  This glove fits snug and yet is supple enough that I haven’t found myself removing it and putting it back on when at the range or for digging through my pockets.  This is just a little thing that I’ve noticed when wearing this glove, but one that is nice.

Overall impression:

This may yet be the very best release aid on the market for the traditional archer; it is by far the best that I have tried.  It is simply a pleasure to use.  I get very consistent releases with it.  It is made from the finest materials available.  It fits so stinking perfect that other gloves and tabs become annoying to use by comparison.  The string feel is ideal.  This glove really enhances my shooting experience in a way that no other glove or tab has been able to do.  The sticker price is high at $60 and I was very reluctant to try one due to this alone.  However, I am really glad that I did.  Other than the bow and string, my release aid is my most frequently used item for archery.  I use it on every single shot I take.  All the little details put into this glove makes it worth the asking price due to the quality of the product, the execution of the product, and the way it enhances my experience.  

A little about me:

I’m just an outdoorsman; I love to hike, fish, hunt, camp, backpack and view wildlife.  I work hard for a living and value saving as much as I can.  I don’t own a lot of sporting equipment but I try as much out as I can.  When I do buy something for myself I almost always buy second hand or on sale because it’s the only way I can afford to have nice equipment for the things that I love to do. I tend to research almost all of my equipment purposes by looking at the product with a discriminating mind, reading reviews, checking YouTube, asking other users of the products questions, and trying stuff out as frequently as possible before buying anything.  I have tried probably about 8-10 kinds of tabs and 6-8 types of gloves through the local archery shop, at the local range, or through second hand purchases online.  

I was very hesitant to try this glove specifically because of the sticker price as compared to most other tabs and gloves, but now I feel it was absolutely worth it.  This glove is one that just plain works for me and feels great to use.

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
Thanks GD for the great write up. I called the company a week or two ago and asked a few questions. I'm fairly certain they are coming to the Kzoo Expo, and I told them I would try a few of their gloves. Hopefully, I will find one that fits and works for me. Peace!

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Wow.  What a thoughtful & thoroughly written review.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts!   :pray:
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by buckster:
Wow.  What a thoughtful & thoroughly written review.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts!    :pray:  
Thanks and your welcome.  I rarely write reviews unless it's a product that I just really was overwhelmingly pleased with.  Then I like to put something in print for those that might be thinking about it.  When researching purchases for myself, I find reviews like this helpful.

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
Could not have said it any better. I have had my crossover around a year or so now and will not shoot any other glove.  Great company and people to deal with.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
Very Very good review!!!

I've had my cross over since April and I love it! The hand tracing put me in an xl. All other gloves , Neet, Damascus, I wear an L. It gives a nice clean release. Built like a tank too! This is a glove of like to get a spare for.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 11:39:00 AM »
Splendid review!

Have been an American Leathers proponent for years.

Garrett....Do you have any experience with the Big Shot w/Nylon Finger stalls of which you could provide comparison?

Note: Have been able to get over 40,000 rounds with the Nylon stalls. I am about ready for my 4th Big Shot.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
Wow!! Great reveiw   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
I could not agree more - Best I have found by far - love it!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
Garrett, thanks for that review.  I have been looking at the standard big shot as well as the crossover.  Here is my questions/concerns:  

Like you, I am certainly hesitant due to pricing, but you addressed that well.  In the web page, it says the crossover is for "added support while shooting heavy weight bows".  Do you shoot a heavier bow.  I don't own any bows over 50 lbs and wonder if the thicker crossover would be necessary.

Also, the current leather fingers I have are comparable to a thick driving glove, very narrow fingertips.  The American Leathers look very wide at the end of the finger and I wonder if it would be too bulky compared to what I am used to.  What was your experience with this or did you notice an issue?  I appreciate any input because I have been curious about these products.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
I got mine last December from Big Jim after to talking to him about it. It took a little getting used to, but I enjoy the functionality and quality materials greatly!  It is a good product.  I believe mine is buffalo also, but I can't remember for sure.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
Question for those that have used this glove for a while...How does the stitching hold up on the finger stalls over time?

Thanks

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
TGbow- Mine has slight discoloration from use and montana pitch blend. Other than that the stitching looks as good as it did when it was new.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
Sounds like a good quality glove from all the info I've seen.
Great detailed review.

Offline sexymanluack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
You will not find a better glove than American Leathers !!

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
I have the Elk hide Big Shot glove. I had the opportunity to try them on at Lancaster Archery while in their showroom this past year. I bought one and liked it so much that I went back a month ago and bought another one. Great glove.

Ron

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
Great Review!
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement