3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: American Leathers - Big Shot Crossover Review - A+  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Re: American Leathers - Big Shot Crossover Review - A+
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
Splendid review!

Have been an American Leathers proponent for years.

Garrett....Do you have any experience with the Big Shot w/Nylon Finger stalls of which you could provide comparison?

Note: Have been able to get over 40,000 rounds with the Nylon stalls. I am about ready for my 4th Big Shot.
I do not. I've shot one other glove with nylon and found it too slick to be confident with them.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Longbow917:
Garrett, thanks for that review.  I have been looking at the standard big shot as well as the crossover.  Here is my questions/concerns:  

Like you, I am certainly hesitant due to pricing, but you addressed that well.  In the web page, it says the crossover is for "added support while shooting heavy weight bows".  Do you shoot a heavier bow.  I don't own any bows over 50 lbs and wonder if the thicker crossover would be necessary.

Also, the current leather fingers I have are comparable to a thick driving glove, very narrow fingertips.  The American Leathers look very wide at the end of the finger and I wonder if it would be too bulky compared to what I am used to.  What was your experience with this or did you notice an issue?  I appreciate any input because I have been curious about these products.
I shoot a bow that's 50.5lbs at 28". It gives me a feel that is very nice. I don't find it bulky in the least.

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »
Fantastic write-up. The fact that the product moved you to write such a lengthy review is a testament to it's quality. The pictures were a great touch. I've been kicking around the idea of a new glove and you may well have just pushed me over the crag.
Live and let live.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
Thanks Much for all the Fine Info!  :readit:   If it shoots half as well as you say, I should be very happy!!  :clapper:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
I'm assumimg the nylon is stitched under the leather on the finger stalls, thus the stiching on the stalls.

Offline hoo-ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
I bought my crossover last spring.  I shot it all 3d season and hunted with it.  I really like it.  I do recommend getting it a lil snug because it will stretch.  I will be sending a fax of hand for the next one as I have a deformed finger.  Thanks for the good review.  

Thanks

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by TGbow:
I'm assumimg the nylon is stitched under the leather on the finger stalls, thus the stiching on the stalls.
It is.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
It appears they have changed it for the better. The first one I had with the webbing on the outside did not let me get a deep hook on the string. This one appears to have cured that problem.
High on Archery.

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
They hold up very well. My favorite of all gloves.

BIgJIm
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »
that's the glove I use.  Excellent product.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
for those that have both, if you draw your bow in a dark/quiet room can you hear the creak of leather with either the crossover or the original nylon on the outside glove??? (note, a dark room allows you to concentrate totally on sound)
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
I bought one of their gloves when I went to Mozambique for Cape Buffalo.  I was shooting 85 lbs and it was really tough on my right hand fingers.  I used this glove with a golf glove under it and it worked great.  I just went to the website to order the Big Shot Crossover and saw some gloves used to keep your hands warm while still being able to shoot with your glove.  I got those too!  Looks like another great product...
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 04:47:00 AM »
Excellent review! I look forward to buying a pair and giving the a try.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »
I bought one last spring while at NCTAR based on Big Jim's recommendation.

He knew what he was talking about.  

Great glove that will last a long time.

Offline Lineman72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
Thanks for the informative review. I  also purchased  the buffalo bigshot crossover glove. At first it was really tight. Good I thought! This is going to fit really snug! I have wide palms, but less than medium sized fingers. Always tough for me to find a good fit with any glove. My review of shipping,receiving,customer service,fit and finish are on par with gdpolk. John actually sent me two gloves, and I sent the smaller one back. Now thats customervice!
However, shooting my 57" praire predator by maddog, I felt an uncomrftable feeling. Actually hurting my right index finger, the side that touches my middle finger. I was upset. Let me say this, I felt this on day two. Day one was very snug. I shoot everyday, whether it be 3 arrows or 30 minutes. So, after several days of discomfort I contacted John and told him my dilemna. John immediately consoled my situation by telling me to roll the finger stalls, tenderizing the leather. This helped tremendously! John said if I wasnt 100% completely satisfied, ship it back and I would receive a new glove! Im a stickler on things and c.s. Is a big one. John didnt let me down. Since then the glove is working fine. I shoot my longbows ranging from 51#-73# and the glove gives great protection and string feel.
I do shoot with a deep hook, and keep the string on my first index, however that being said, my fingers arent avg., so the stalls are about 3/8 past my index giving me little room for padded comfort. (I tried to shoot finger tip, but dont like it)
Side note, I like shooting tabs, this is never an issue, but I like the glove for nostalgia and warmth. I recently picked up a black widow super pdq. Talk about deep long finger stalls! I like it.
Again thanks for a great review!
Form form form
Fun fun fun

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
great review!

i have said before that the $60 i spent on my Crossover glove is the best money i've spent on an archery accessory. if i were to lose mine, i would immediately order another one with ZERO hesitation.

thanks for such a thorough write-up. part of what makes this site so helpful.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
I have both the bigshot and the crossover, and so far prefer the bigshot.  Question:  Are those plastic inserts under the stalls of the crossover?  I was flexing mine while breaking it in with pitch blend and they certainly feel like plastic inserts.  Just curious because when I go for a deep hook they pinch up against the base of my finger below the second joint which I can handle, but that also pushes the stall forward a smidge away from the fingertips.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©