3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tricks to quiet carbon Shrews?  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Tricks to quiet carbon Shrews?
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:19:00 AM »
I have recently acquired two carbon Shrews that I adore everything about, except I find them to be quite loud.  I'm currently running SBD strings with wool puffs and heavy wooden arrows but still find them louder then I like.  The carbon hunter is a little better then the Super shrew but they still need something. Any ideas?  I'm  going to start working on brace height once the season is over but don't really know what else to try.  Are the non-carbon bows  noticeably quieter?  I'd give up a few fps for a quieter experience.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tricks to quiet carbon Shrews?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
The non carbon are quieter to my ear-for what it's worth.  I've not noticed a difference in the deer I've shot between carbon and non carbon for what that's worth. It may just be the 'pitch' that we're hearing???
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline jr1959

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
My Classic Hunter is louder than my other longbows but it does seem faster.  Jim
'59 Kodiak 45# Gainesville 60" LH
Jim Hoker Woodspirit Bows 60#, 55#, 48#
Fox Royal Crown 62” 44#
Fox Longbow 66” 40#

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
You might try limb savers, they are ugly but they work. Put them about 4" from the riser.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
Brad, I would try some cat whiskers....I've found that they work better on some bows than wool.

Offline chase perry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
I encountered the very same thing with my Carbon Shrews, and shared the same sentiment.  What worked for me was moving the wool puffs out toward the tips of the bow; they are about 7" from the tips of my 60" carbon/boo Super Shrew, and are similarly placed on my carbon/foam 64" Model T.  

Best regards, Chase
Proverbs 28:1 "...the godly are as bold as lions."
Isaiah 40:31

BARK, n. The song of the dog. -Ambrose Bierce

Offline scram1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
Agree with ranger 3,limb savers made the biggest difference in my perceived noise level on my carbon/foam classic hunter.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »
Try higher mass weight arrows.  They might be a bit slower but usually help to keep noise to a minimum.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
My Shrews are quiet.  I use cat whiskers and Shrew strings on mine.  I tried SBD strings on them and they were definitely louder than the stock string and I didn't notice any performance difference.  The carbon limbs tend to have a different little ping to them but not loud.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »
I'm having a time figuring out what you mean.  I've been shooting a carbon Shrew with an SBD string on it for two years and find it very quiet.  No issues at all.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
Are you shooting 3 under ? If so ive noticed that shorter bows tend to be louder shooting 3 under or so it seems to me . On shrews catwiskers were more quite for me also .

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
Shooting split finger, 630 gr. Douglas fir off of 55 bow.  Is a little better with a brace height moved from 7-7.5".  SBD is definitely quieter then Shrew string, and has noticeably less vibration.  I can't stand the way the limbsavers look on a traditional bow so really hope not to go there.  I've started the hunt for a non-carbon model.  Going to see how I like them.  Still working on it.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
Use rubber Cat Whiskers, and play with their location on the string. They will probably end up NOT equal distance from each end.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
Hey Brad. There is a guy Ryan I think that promotes Stalker bows that has videos on how to tie on a string nock and others on tying on cat whiskers. He shows one with just 2 whiskers and another where he installs 4 cat whiskers on a string. I have a 69 Super K that I got quiet using 4 whiskers like Ryan demonstrates on his videos. Check these out. I'll try and and find it on the how to section of tradgang and get back to you.
see

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
Cat whiskers for me shooting split worked okay with standard and SBD strings.  I just didn't like the finger pinch on my CH shooting it split and shooting 3under nothing worked to quiet it to my liking so if found a new  home.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline see

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
Brad go to: how to tie on cat whiskers by Manao Productions  
Check it out.  It helped me and happy new year. Hope to see you again in Ky in April.
see

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 05:57:00 PM »
Cat whiskers work the best on the Shrews. We've tried many different strings and found that a blend of 6 strands of 450+ and 2 strands of B-50 are the quietest.  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
See, good to hear from you, I really home you all get to come back up!

First off before any one gets the wrong idea, this bow is incredible.  If it wasn't I wouldn't be bothering with trying to quiet it so much.

Only reason I haven't tried cat whisker yet is I bought a ton of them recently and can't for the life of me remember where I put them...lol.  They'll turn up soon.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Try double set of cat whiskers...

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
I always loved the look of natural silencers like beaver, muskrat, or wool on my trad bows but Ron is right...... Cat whiskers are the, "Cat's Pajamas " on our Shrews.

I have shot and listened to lots of other carbon bows and to me a lot of them have a high pitched, "tink " when shot. May not be louder than a non carbon bow, just a different pitch sound but definitely not a sound I or a deer would like.......   :scared:  

The carbon foam Shrews do not have this sound or pitch that I can hear. Our Shrew CH's are the quietest bows on our wall.......  :archer:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©