3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: biggest doe? oldest doe?  (Read 1011 times)

Online gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
biggest doe? oldest doe?
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
What was the weight of the biggest whitetail doe you have harvested?   What was the oldest doe?

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: biggest doe? oldest doe?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
I have harvested 4 big ole gals, along with a lot of normal size ones. I took a #130 doe gutted this fall, KY TJ killed some nice ole nanny's this past fall also. My biggest was #138, gutted. She had a tag in her ear, I took it out, called Ky F&W, they had me send it in. They looked up the info, send the tag back with a letter. She was 8 and 1/2 years old, barren doe. She had been part of a trailer load of deer heading from western KY that had been captured for restocking purposes for eastern KY. The truck had broken down in 90.0 + weather in July, deer were suffering from heat stress so they turned them loose in Russell County to save them. I live in Wayne County, She had been turned loose across the lake and had to cross where it was nearly a mile wide to get to my side at some point. She had traveled close to 16 miles from where she was turned loose. I thought this was interesting, still have the tag!
samuel koger

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
I didn't weigh this ol nanny but she was at least 7. No jaw teeth. She had been on the property since we got it and cost me many a buck. Smart, mean big girl. If I had to guess her weight field dressed, easily 120 #. For reference I am 6'3" and weigh, gulp...240.

Mike Davenport

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
I killed an old girl last year on a military installation. The Va DNR puts the hunt on and has biologists on hand to inspect/age all deer killed.

The biologist said my doe was 8 1/2 plus. She looked every bit if it. I saw a buck several times that day that had to have been at least 12 years old. He reminded me of my yellow Lab when he was 13. It looked like every step that buck took was painful. His eyes were sunken in and his hip bones and ribs were very visible.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 10:38:00 AM »
My biggest and first was 120+ dressed.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
I'm not sure of the weight of this one, I know that it was the biggest and the oldest one I harvested of 20+ years. A lot of gray in her face

"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
Shot this one in 2008 but we forgot to weigh her. I had to call a friend to help me drag her across my property to hang her. I couldn't budge her.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
Awesome deer fellas, I dig big gals.

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
In NW Iowa it is not uncommon to see does that are larger than most of the bucks. I heard of one killed during a gun season a couple of years ago that weighed over 200 dressed weight when they brought it to the butcher. My biggest was 163, I thought it was going to be over 200. there have been a couple of giant does on a farm that we used to hunt. We never even got a shot at them. Those old does were smart and cautious.

Offline Norminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »
Some big ole does there
Norm from Canuckistan

45#,50#,55#,56" Bear Grizzlies
45#,54#,52" Bear Kodiak Magnum
55#,58" Vintage Works 62 Kodiak
55#,62" Tomahawk

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
In my area in the Pinelands the deer are not big bodied so any does I have taken have not been heavy weights. A 10 point buck that scored 163 typical dressed 125.

I did shoot a 8 pt buck that the check station said could have been as old as 11. He had one eye and cuts and scars all over him. He was way on the down side and probably wouldn't have lived another year. Not a doe but the oldest deer I have shot.

BUT I SHOT HIM ON HIS GOOD EYE SIDE! Ha!
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
Didn't weigh her, but she was harder to load in the truck by myself than the bucks I killed this year. She had some pretty worn teeth that I estimated her to be at least 6.

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 12:59:00 PM »

Shot her this year. Dressed around 130lb and was 7+ years old probably older.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
Nice deer guys!! I would almost rather take a big doe as a buck, almost....

I let the biggest doe I've ever seen walk this year, and it bit me in the rear.

I could hear a buck breaking some pretty big stuff where she came from, so I wanted to see what he was.

Ended up she got a sniff of something she didn't like(me) and blew 4 times, then smugly walked off. The buck , a great 8 about 140ish walked around me at 45 yds after she came thru at 8.

Got greedy, but left some huge deer genetics there!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline KevO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
I shot a doe this fall that dressed at 135 pounds.  Her teeth indicated she was at least 4.5 yr's old.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
Fat bottomed girls they make the rockin' world go 'round.

Biggest I actually weighed was 130# dressed and I couldn't quite get all of her off the ground since she was longer than my garage was tall.  I killed one last year that I believe was bigger but I didn't weigh her.

Oldest was 6 but she wasn't all that big.  Aged by the DNR while doing a CWD study.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
Those are some big ones! To me a long nosed nanny is way more of a challenge than any rutted up buck. They just have a sixth sense and I can tell you from the one in the pic, they will ruin a rendezvous with a big buck. She nailed me 3 different times with big bucks with her. She musts looked good to every old buck around  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »
Gotta love big nannys!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
Two years ago I killed a big ole doe that had a big chunk of her left ear missing, I had been hunting this farm for 5 years before I got her and she was their when I first got on the property. I can't tell you how many times she busted me but it was a lot. She was by far the biggest doe I have ever shot and I still feel the only reason I killed her was because the coyotes were chaseing the deer in that timber for almost an hour and ran her past my stand.

doug77

Online doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
My biggest was 132# and I won the big doe contest at our local bowman's club. The butcher found a broadhead high in her back that was completely healed over from the previous year. I don't know how old she was, but i'd guess at least four.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©