3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Full Metal Jacket Arrows  (Read 657 times)

Offline Skinnybill

• Trad Bowhunter
Full Metal Jacket Arrows
« on: January 03, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
What are the advantages of the aluminum/carbon arrows?  Thanks.

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Full Metal Jacket Arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »
Just put together a dozen the other day for my main hunting recurve. So far the heavy weight in that small of a diameter shaft improves penetration on my target. Going to use them to elk and deer hunt this year so hope to see how the hold up. I bought them for the GPI with a small diameter.

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
Do they bend when hit on the side?
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe vt:
Do they bend when hit on the side?
yes. But it takes a real whollop to do so.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
Over the years there have been a few arrows that have been carbon and aluminum. Before the FMJ it was a Super Slim and it was done the other way around aluminum on the inside carbon on the outside.And they were awesome. Then cam the FMJ and who knows why it shot better but it did and has been a go to arrows for a lot of bowhunters. I for one thinks its one of the best out there has it all. And is one of my best sellers in the arrows shop.

In 2014 they are making a FMJ Injextion its even smaller in diameter. They have not changed the FMJ in about 6 or 7 years and I don't see Easton doing that , just a super great arrow. Get them shoot them and you will love them.
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway--JOHN WAYNE

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
Not that it makes any difference for hunting but I weighed 3 FMJ yesterday and they were all within one grain...says a lot about how carefully they are made...the fact they use the HIT inserts is another advantage

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
I shoot both the ACC and FMJ from my recurves and longbows. They will take a lot of whallops and sideswipe trees and such before they bend. Of all the shots I have taken I've only had one bend and it was a snap to straighten with the arrow straightener. They are a heck of an arrow for the money.

Regards,
Grouse

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
I have not made the switch to FMJ with my trad gear but I have been using them in my "other" bow for several years.  They are great arrows and the penetration I get is amazing.  Pretty tuff for the most part by I have bent a few after hitting deer.
T ZZZZ

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »
I just ordered a dozen shafts today (couldn't pass up the offer).  I have seen WAY to many Awesome reports on these shafts to not own a set.  I have absolutely no idea when I will make the switch, if I ever do.  If that time comes, I want to have them at the ready. Until then, I'm a doug fir kinda guy.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
My favorite shafts.  Have been using them for years now and can't say enough about them.
habujohn

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »
Gary,

Wasn't it just two years ago when they switched to FMJ N-Fused?  No difference in the o.d. or i.d. but the epoxy matrix in the carbon now uses nano tubes? This allegedly give them hundreds of times the strength.  That is great and all, but I still love the old ones...especially when I bought 12 dozen of them on close out for 4$/shaft.

:goldtooth:  

Fantastic hunting arrow. Tough as heck and STRAIGHT all the time. The aluminum sheath makes it easy to pull out of practice 3 d targets. All the advantages of carbon AND aluminum.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »
Best of both worlds

Precision specs like aluminum (straight, consistent weight and spine)  coupled with the toughness of carbon.

Great shafts
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Skinnybill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
Ghall80,

Have you've been hearing that most people are getting better results with the FMJ vs the ACC?

Offline recurve maine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »
Love my FMJ 340's. But after seeing the "Woody love" thread, I need to give the tree made killer sticks a try
1972 Lefty Browning Nomad 51lb @ 30.5
62" Lefty Sammick Sage 66lb @ 30.5
In Search of a custom Lefty long bow!

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by recurve maine:
Love my FMJ 340's. But after seeing the "Woody love" thread, I need to give the tree made killer sticks a try
And I seem to be in the other direction.  I love my woodies and have never felt the love for any carbons that I have tried so far.  With all the comments about the FMJ's, I may have to try some.

Offline Skinnybill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 02:15:00 PM »
Has anyone compared the FMJ to ACC?

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
This thread has me convinced to give them a try.  I'm shooting a Widow PSA 52@28 and I draw 28.5 with 175 up front.  I'm guessing 340's.  Does anyone know if that is the right size to start?

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flingblade:
This thread has me convinced to give them a try.  I'm shooting a Widow PSA 52@28 and I draw 28.5 with 175 up front.  I'm guessing 340's.  Does anyone know if that is the right size to start?
400s. Start long and you will probably end up around 29.5-30".  All my hunting bows are 55@28 and drawn to 30 and I run 340s full length with 225-250g heads. 340s are a stiff arrow especially when you start cutting them.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Skinnybill:
Has anyone compared the FMJ to ACC?
Always stayed away from ACCs. Did no like the carbon on the outside. It may be in my head but always considered that the more fragile part of the combo and like it being encased in aluminum. FMJs pull out of the target sooooooooo nice. Carbons weld into 3Ds in comparison.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flingblade:
I would think the 400 would be a better choice...the nice thing is they are still over 10 GPI

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©