3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Setting up a new string  (Read 343 times)

Online wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
Setting up a new string
« on: January 03, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
I just got a new string and am ready to set up my bow.  This is the second string I have had for the bow and have a few questions.  I measured my brace and nock point of the old string and set the new string up to the same measurements but when I shot a bare shaft, it shows that I am too stiff.  What do I have to do to get it shooting straight again?  I added some twists to the new string to get the brace measurement the same as the old string.  

Thanks

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Setting up a new string
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
Is your new string the same material and number of strands as your old string?  Does your old string have silencers on it?  Both will effect arrow tune.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
The old string was Dacron and the new string is B55.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
How is your nock fit,I know the B55 is a larger diameter per strand.Are both strand counts the same?Maybe shoot the new string a bit until it settles in and then check your bare shaft.

Online wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »
The old one was a 16 strand and the new one is 14.  I will shoot it for a week before I go crazy.  I added string silencers and that helped a lot.

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
After a few hundred shots, if the shaft still shows stiff, raise the brace height 1/8" at a time until the shaft flies a little weak. When the shafts are fletched they should shoot good groups.

Regards,
Grouse

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »
Typically set a new string such as B50 approximately a 1/2" high and shoot her at least 100 times before attempting to tune a shaft.
Would have silencers installed for at least the last 25 shots.

Key for me is know when the shaft starts to show weak.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I will put some shots on it over the next few days in the basement.  After that, I will play with brace height.  I will watch my brace height to see if it is stretching at all.

Online wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
I have taken 40 shots so far and lost 5/16" of brace so far.  I will give it another 60 to break in and then measure again.

Online katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by wisconsinteacher:
The old one was a 16 strand and the new one is 14.  I will shoot it for a week before I go crazy.  I added string silencers and that helped a lot.
You added silencers and that helped? Should have made bare shaft act stiffer. Right or left Hand shooter? which way was bare shaft planing?
Try less point weight to see if your actually weak and getting a false stiff reading with bare shaft.
shoot straight shoot often

Online wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
Well I shot over 100 shots on the string and it did not move the last 25 shots.  From there I was still showing I was over spined.  I put the old string on and you guessed it, over spined.  I guess I did not have my arrows set up correctly in the first place.  I am shooting GT 3555 full length with 100 grain inserts and 100 grain points.  It shoots broadheads well.  I guess now I need to look at some new arrows so I can do this right.

Online wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
I am shooting a 45# Bear Grizzly.

Online katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
Yep, either weaker spine arrows or keep upping point weight until she tunes but that may make the arrow to heavy for you.

You can also either reduce the size/weight of the silencers or move them towards the tips a little to soften dynamic spine.

If your strike plate is thick you can replace it with a thinner one and that will soften dynamic spine.
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©