3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Easton shaft chart accuracy?  (Read 297 times)

Online Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Easton shaft chart accuracy?
« on: January 03, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
Hi guys,
I stumbled across Easton's shaft chart for their aluminum arrows today and when I plugged in the info on my recurves, literally all of the shafts they recommended for my bows were stiffer than anything I previously shot or was told by other trad shooters was correct. For instance, for my 49# recurve shooting 29" shafts with 125 grain tips it said I should be shooting 2117s. For my 55#er it said I should be shooting 2216s and for my 60#er it said I should be shooting 2315s. Does anyone else use their recommendations and how has it worked out for you? I have not tried shooting these stiffer shafts yet because we are covered in a little snow today and a lot of wind here today in Maryland. I appreciate your thoughts.

Offline stickem1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Easton shaft chart accuracy?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 05:34:00 PM »
The new chart seems on the stiff side to me. Someone posted the old chart a while back, and it was pretty accurate IMO. Maybe someone can chime in or post a link to it.

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 05:43:00 PM »
Joe2Crow,
Like most anything it's only a starting point. You can tune the recommended arrows by changing the point weight, arrow length and also the type and strand count of your bowstring. As I said, it's only a starting point.

Regards,
Grouse

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 05:44:00 PM »
Without knowing more it's hard to say, but, all things being generic (recurve and B50 string, cut to center shelf) I'd say 2016s cut 29.5 w/125gr point and three 5" feathers would be close.

You'd need some heavy points on the 2117 out of the 49# recurve. Or a shelf cut past center. Or both.

But to answer your primary question, yes, the Easton chart seems to recommend shafts on the stiff side.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by stickem1:
The new chart seems on the stiff side to me. Someone posted the old chart a while back, and it was pretty accurate IMO. Maybe someone can chime in or post a link to it.
From our very own Kelly's personal site....Thanks Kelly.

http://www.arrowskp.com/Spine_Charts.html

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline normf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 03:48:00 AM »
If you have a 3 Rivers Archery catalog the spine chart in there seems to work on my bows pretty well. Much better than the Easton.
NFetscher

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 07:17:00 AM »
The old chart is archived here on the How-to section.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000073
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©