3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Solo DIY Elk 2014  (Read 726 times)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solo DIY Elk 2014
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »
Jack I know the feeling. I will be 60 this year out there.

My wife is having fits about going it alone back country. I told her that is the way I want to go out, the coyotes and bears have to eat too! I am keeping it quiet now, so  by the time she realizes I am still going, I will be waving goodbye on the way to the airport. Ha, some women have no sense of humor!
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
I spent a lot of birthdays in elk country. Not a better way to spend them. The next and probably my last time I go I'll be drawing social security.
Jack Shanks

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
I hit 60 last month and I feel every bit of it! Having issues with my joints (mostly knees, but shoulders lately). Hoping I can shed some weight and get in decent enough shape to do a DIY solo backpack hunt again this year.

I'm not anti-social, and in fact miss company during the longer stretches (5-6 days), but do enjoy SOME time alone in the mountains.

I have some buddies that I connect with once I'm back in the wilderness.

Good luck guys!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
"..... I just love being out there in those mountains".  AGREED! Couldn't imagine not getting my mountain fix every year. Have to get as much of this as we can so when we can't do it anymore we'll have all those memories to keep us busy.

Hope one of those arrows find it's mark!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
One of my biggest regrets is not going into the Rockies Elk hunting at a much younger age. If I had, without a doubt I would have moved somewhere in Elk country.

If I was going to give a young hunter who is really serious about hunting one piece of advice, it would be to go Elk hunting in the Rocky Mountain backcountry while you are young.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
awesome pics! I would go for sure.  id rather go on a lackluster elk hunt than a good hunt for any other animal.
is it September yet??

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
Exactly what Hoyt said.  

In fact, when I read it I had to look to see who said it because I knew I didn't but it's just what I was thinking.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jack Shanks:
I spent a lot of birthdays in elk country. Not a better way to spend them. The next and probably my last time I go I'll be drawing social security.
Jack, I've been drawing SS for several years(I'm 72)and God willing I'll be back in SW Colorado again for several years chasing elk. I just don't hunt the really steep country anymore.   :D
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
Bill,

I admire you for still having the drive! I'm 61 and elk hunted the mountains in my twenties, thirties and early forties. Got interested in chasing other species and just never got back after the elk again. Up until a few years ago I was still doing mountain hunts for sheep and goats but some back problems put an end to that. Now days,I'm content to mostly hunt whitetails in my home state.
Jack Shanks

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 10:46:00 PM »
One of my old huntin buddies had some health issues and his wife was very worried he would have an attack or worse when we were back in a ways. He told her the same thing.." I would like to die while huntin, five miles from the road so I die where I want and feed a bunch of friends at the same time" As we were walkin out the door for a two week hunt I whispered to her " I wouldn't leave him out there. I would bring him back out even if I had to make a few trips to do it"......She didn't talk to me for a long time.     :dunno:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
" I wouldn't leave him out there. I would bring him back out even if I had to make a few trips to do it"......She didn't talk to me for a long time.
Mark now that is some funny stuff right there. And to think I told my hunting partner to give my family the GPS coordinates! Ha!
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
I love horses and love horses on a hunt as long as they are someone else's and someone else is taking care of them.  Otherwise, a fella doesn't get to hunt much.

BT
aka Wapitidung

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
I am with you BT. I said this earlier in a post.

Steve I should add I have horses and a farm I board other horses at. In Colorado you have to bring in approved hay from the local area. I would have to trailer my horses from NJ. I would spend most of my time taking care of horses instead of hunting. This is vacation to get away from them and hunt. I clean stalls and paddocks and feed twice a day all year. Nope the only horses I will ride out there is someone else's!
I wouldn't mind if I went out to be a wrangler, but as a hunter, no way.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »
Good luck Gil.  I love your hunt alongs and I still use my tyvek bivy religiously.  Ill be up that way during muzzleloader season.  If you're around, I'd love to meet you.

Brian

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
I am going elk hunting for the first time. Have to take off a few pounds  which started December 4. Made it past the holidays with only one cookie of my moms.  
I am very anxious to go.  As was stated I wish I did this stuff younger but I guess it is never to late.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Brian I think we missed each other last year due to when I was going in and coming out. Hope we can hook for a day this year. I will be doing the last two weeks of archery again.

As the time gets closer maybe we can plan a day in town, I will buy dinner.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »
Ttt how's the planning going.

I'm planning a solo high country mule deer hunt back packing in, I'm pumped !! Just order all my new gear. Prob kill one by the truck and never pack in my luck, but I will take it.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »
Good luck with your preparations Gil...always enjoy your posts (follow alongs).

I'm hoping to hunt longer this year. Last year monsoon season hit right along with archery elk!! I hunted 15 days... 15 wet, soggy days. Hope the weather is better this year.

Starting a 6 week "fat loss" program tomorrow. Then I should be able to get serious with a clean eating regimen and exercise program.

:archer2:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©