3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shooting left  (Read 509 times)

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
shooting left
« on: January 04, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
I have my bow tuned very well and at 20yrds I shoot left most of the time. I should mention that this is with all the bows I shoot. It's driving me nuts. The bow I am shooting now is a Car-bow Peregrine 49@28 I draw 27" and the arrows are GT 35/55 cut to 28 1/4 with 145 up front. Any ideas?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shooting left
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Is it the bow / arrow combination or is it you ?

Your eye position as you are aiming, your eye dominance, your release, your grip (torque) on the bow.  All of these things could very easily play a part in these results, which , of course, makes life interesting.

ChuckC

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
I don't think it is the bow, is it me I don't know.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
there are many things that can cause this. If your arrows are tuned properly and you still hit left, try a softer side plate material. In most cases a softer material will cause your arrows to act weaker and will move your point of impact over.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
You could be over drawing slightly, pulling your hand away from your face upon release or not burying your anchor good enough.  Been there and it was the quality of my release.  Find the video by Moebow on rotational drawing and hand position, it will likely open your eyes (look in the - here it is     In fact look at all of Arne's videos.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
I anchor with mi thumb nail on my inner cheek bone. When I let my anchor drift out to the outside of my cheek bone I shot left.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
You say you have your bow tuned very well, but with a similar weight bow, but drawn to 28 - 28 1/2" I was getting good results with the 3555's cut at 30.5" and 145 gr points. Have you bare-shafted those 3555's? Just for grins and chuckles, you might try 175 gr and see if that pulls things back a bit more to the right. It's a super simple change before you rip out too much hair or make other changes.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »
Same problem that I deal with, try  turning your chin slightly towards your shoulder more. For me it lines me up better. If I don't the arrow zings left like a magic trick. At 20 yards spine of a fletched shaft really doesn't throw me much unless way off, just less forgiving. Another culprit for me is the ring finger creating issues.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pete McMiller:
You could be over drawing slightly, pulling your hand away from your face upon release or not burying your anchor good enough.  Been there and it was the quality of my release.  Find the video by Moebow on rotational drawing and hand position, it will likely open your eyes (look in the - here it is      In fact look at all of Arne's videos.
I agree with this statement. I had to change mid-season because of overdrawing. I could not get a good release and was hitting left. This video was great also.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
Do you shoot right or left handed?
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
I agree with Ron on double checking that arrow first. A 28" GT 35-55 with 145 grains up front shows too stiff for me even with my 50# bows.
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
Keep your bow arm pushed at the target. If you don't and your right handed you will shoot left.
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
Use a lower spined arrow, heavier head or lower the brace height (assuming you are right handed).
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 01:51:00 AM »
you know if you say your have your bow well tuned I'll go with that.

I know alignment is huge!  It threw me left for a lot of years.   Great groups just left.  

For me just turning my head was enough, but I believe a lot of body alignment will do it also along with thinking you're releasing the string straight back when you're really not, you're letting go a bit off your face (or a bunch).  

if you're shooting a longbow or heel down it can also throw you left depending on your degree of cant.   read asbells book that covers longbows to understand it.  Its pretty simple...or fergusons book has it also.
This is all assuming your a right handed guy.

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
Ranger 3, I've been having problems shooting left also and have discovered several issues.  I agree with those above that your arrows may be a bit stiff.  I would clear that issue up first for sure.
And I also agree with Lost Creek Bows that you must keep pushing and pull through out the shot.  As a friend of mine says, never quit pushing, never quit pulling through.
The other problem that I discovered was that I was dropping my bow arm.  The bow arm MUST stay stable and follow through until the arrow hits the target.
And lastly, do not take your eye off the spot you want to hit until the arrow arrives.
All sounds simple, but harder to execute on a regular basis.  
Good luck, be safe and have fun!
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »
If everything is tuned right and your shooting left for a right hand shooter, then it is your bow arm. Pushing your bow arm taunt can kick your arrow left. I have a relaxed bow arm to act like a shock absorber and concentrated on keeping that bow arm as still as possible. There is a bunch of good info on the shooting forum. I would look over there.   Tim in NC
Drewstew you live close to us, sent you a message
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
right handed its a stiff arrow problem , try more point weight
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Broke N Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
It could all just come down to eye dominence..I am right handed and when I started shooting traditional I shot right handed..and same thing everything went to the left. I was getting so frustated and it was starting to not be fun..I was even thinking about a compound but stuck with it..I was at the Kalamazoo expo and talked to T.J Conrad..He asked me if I'd ever checked for eye dominence and I said I had'nt.. He walked me thru it..he said point at something and close your right eye..I. did and it stayed on the thing I pointed to..then he said close your left eye..I did and it jumped to the left..he told me I was left eye dominate..then I remembered I got hit in the eye with a rock when I was a kid..and that changed my life..I started shooting left handed and ican shoot with about anybody..and I'm having a blast..now the arrow goes where I want it to go..check it out that might be your problem...its not too hard to switch..but it made a hundred miles worth of difference..Good luck hope this helps..
Stand at the crossroads and look, seek for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is,and walk in it, and you will find rest for your soul....Scroll of Joshua

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
I'm RH but left-eye dominant. I shoot LH.

I was regularly throwing an arrow right a few inches -- the opposite of you but I shoot opposite handed.  It really bugged me.

I thought it was my right-eye trying to "help" a bit.  The way to test this is to shut the off-eye so it can't help (for me shut the right eye, for you shut the left eye). It didn't help. So it wasn't a co-dominance issue -- good because I didn't want to shoot one-eyed and loose distance perception, peripheral vision, and balance.

I then noticed (I was shooting a Schafer Silvertip with a checkered grip -- I was about to blame the grip and torque).  I noticed in an end of 5 arrows I threw one right again and I realized during follow through my draw hand had left the side of my face just a bit. Aha, the hand is supposed to "paint the face" throughout follow-through.  Next end I made sure to paint the face.  That was it!

There are many possibilities but that was it for me.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
Didn't read all the posts so forgive me if this has been mentioned but I cured my wife and myself of this by closing my stance to the target just a bit. This is assuming your a right handed shooter. Move your left foot a few inches father to the right when you address the target. My arm would snap over to the left just a bit when I shot so I closed my stance to the target a bit and really concentrated on pushing the bow to the target. Just my experience.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©