3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: STRING HELP  (Read 268 times)

Offline ECRESS

• Trad Bowhunter
STRING HELP
« on: January 04, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
Hey,everyone been out for awhile.NEED SOME HELP ON A STRING.Just got a 2nd hand whisperstik-Kajika stik,56" 52@28".The string that was on it is very skiny and54".the other one that came with it is kinda thick and 52".Both have strands broke.what should I go back with?Where would be best to get from? Bow has anler tips and I pull only 26".Thanks.always good help here.
H

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: STRING HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
Any of the string sponsors here could set you up.
Champion Bowstrings, Silent But Deadly, etc.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
One thing is certain, one of those strings (maybe both) doesn't fit that bow.  If it's a 56-inch bow following AMO standards, you probably need a string about 53 inches.  Best to discuss your needs with a stringmaker.  We have several good ones on here.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »
The bowyer's website indicates that the brace height on your bow should be 7 - 8".  Probably about 7 1/2" would be a good place to start.  Put one of your old strings on the bow and twist or untwist it until the brace height is 7 1/2".  Then take the string off, being careful not to let it untwist, stretch it out on a nail or something, and measure it end to end.  The bowstring maker would like to know this measurement.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline ECRESS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 02:51:00 PM »
Thanks Mcdave, did this at 7.25 to get these lengths. would the strands broke make a differance?
H

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
The string that is kind of thick and 52" is probably a dacron string. When a dacron string is off the bow, it tends to shrink.  The skinny string is probably a fast flight string, and doesn't shrink much, but since it doesn't have many strands, it might have stretched when one strand broke.  Putting this information together, I would guess that you want to order a 53" string, measured when it is fully stretched out.

Probably that, and the bow length of 56", and the other information about the bow that you posted, is enough for a bowstring maker to make you a new string.  He might want to make the string slightly shorter or longer than my 53" guess, and I would go with whatever he recommends.

I wouldn't recommend shooting either of the strings that have broken strands.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©