3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wall hanging a bear rug  (Read 462 times)

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
Wall hanging a bear rug
« on: January 05, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
I want to hang my bear rug on the wall... Any suggestions on do's and don'ts before starting? My rug has wall hooks installed already, I just want to get it off the floor.
bryce olson

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wall hanging a bear rug
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
Try to keep it from constant direct sunlight if at all possible. They take up a lot of space, just finding a spot could be an issue.  I've always liked then hung horizontal.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
No advice from me as I don't know.......but........I sure would like to see a pic once you get it on the wall!

Bisch

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
I'm getting ready to get mine up off the floor and the only space I have large enough (there will be no horns/hides on display upstairs!!!) is the wall of our basement stairs leading down to MY area.

It will have to be hung diagonally, but with the head on the up-slope, I think it will look pretty cool. Mine also has hanging rings on the back. It has a red felt showing around the edges that will come off first.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
I have had mine hung horizontally, and, as stated above, try and keep it out of direct sunlight. Mine was taken way back in 1987, and still looks like new. I dust him off occasionally, but other than that, just let him hang and enjoy him.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
What is the best type of hook to use in the wall?

Mine should be done next month and I am wanting to put it on the wall too.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
Hopefully enough hooks were installed. In some cases I have added a few extra to keep them from sagging. Dust regular with none chemical cleaners.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
Mine did not have any wall hooks provided. All I did was took several push pins( flat ones, matching color) and went around the outside border. Put extra ones around the heavier parts like the feet and head. Hung perfectly fine.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
I guess you'd call them tacks too.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by dhermon85:
Mine did not have any wall hooks provided. All I did was took several push pins( flat ones, matching color) and went around the outside border. Put extra ones around the heavier parts like the feet and head. Hung perfectly fine.
That's how mine hangs as well. The only real hanger is under the head. Mine has been hanging for about 8 years. The only suggestion I have is to flip it every year or so or the hair will start to take a set. Meaning the hair on the top side will begin to want to stay standing strait out or curved depending on its length. You would not think gravity would effect the hair that much but it does.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
I've always stapled mine to the wall. I just part the hair a bit and let er rip.Ditto for keeping light off as with any Taxidermy. Mine has been on a lot of different walls too. No issues.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gun:
I've always stapled mine to the wall. I just part the hair a bit and let er rip.Ditto for keeping light off as with any Taxidermy. Mine has been on a lot of different walls too. No issues.
What Gun said. This one is stapled. I've got another one drywall screwed to the wall. They are not real fragile!

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »
Bladepeek I had one hung in my stairway for several years and it ended up with a rubbed spot on it people walking up and down the stairs.

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
I put a picture type hanger on the plywood base for the head and then just took small finish nails and nailed through the hide for the shape I wanted. I figured putting the nails through the hide would "hide" the nails and make it more difficult to pull through than if I just nailed through the felt.

Offline Dog Walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »
You also may want to hang it so that the head is slanting upwards.  I had a bear hanging for years on the wall leading upstairs to our bedrooms.  One morning, I came downstairs and stepped on something sharp and very painful.  Turned out to be the mount's whole plastic mouth/teeth insert. The mount had dried out, obviously and the glue let go, dropping the teeth out. Ouch!   :(
Cari-Bow Tuktu Ex 55#@28"
TT Pinnacle II 55#@28"

Offline MO Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
Mine is stapled to the wall.  I didn't staple through the hide.  Stapled it through the felt.  I have 2 layers of felt.  Stapled it through the bottom layer so you can't see them.  Been hanging there just fine for several years.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
My Grizzly has a padded (quilted) backing with the D-rings sewed on.  I used picture (J hooks) attached to the wall and the D rings hook in them nicely.  I hung it hoz. at I didn't have enough ceiling room for diaz.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 03:09:00 PM »
My wife sewed some small metal rings on the backing for me and we hung it horizontally.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »

This one is hung with drywall anchors and screws w/washers to prevent the screw heads from pulling through the hide. Pretty solid really. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©