3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mountain Bike for Hunting  (Read 290 times)

Offline ChuckS

• Trad Bowhunter
Mountain Bike for Hunting
« on: January 05, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
Anyone have any ideas or pics of how they set up a Mountain Bike for hunting. Also, any ideas on how to attach a deer cart to a bike. Looking to use my bike more for hunting and fishing this year.

Good Hunting!
SHOOT-CAST-TALK...STRAIGHT!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mountain Bike for Hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
There has been several post on this in the past. Check out the search option and you should get some ideas. I think Ron LaClair had pics of a bike to hunt with, several other also.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
I have been thinking about this for years,  there are some nice trailers that could haul some lbs.  we have miles and miles of oil field roads here that you are not allowed to drive but you could ride a bike.  also when I go to texas every year we notice after a couple of days on the wheelers that the animals just stop moving in the light. pretty awesome potential I think.

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
Do a search online for "bicycle kid carrier trailer" they come in single and 2 kid models, in there current configuration they may not be ideal for hauling deer, but it wouldn't take much to modify one. The great thing about them is they tow very easily, and it would be nothing to strap down your bow, quiver, and other supplies.   :archer:

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
Do a search online for "bicycle kid carrier trailer" they come in single and 2 kid models, in there current configuration they may not be ideal for hauling deer, but it wouldn't take much to modify one. The great thing about them is they tow very easily, and it would be nothing to strap down your bow, quiver, and other supplies.   :archer:

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
You could use one of these trailers for hauling, but I would think some terrain would limit any trailer.

http://www.bobgear.com/bike-trailers

On another note, any time I think of bikes and deer hunting I'm reminded of the hilarious story "First Deer, and Welcome to it" by Patrick McManus.     :biglaugh:
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Wild Bill MCP 808

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
I use a bike sometimes to get back into my hunting area. Just a regular mountain bike. No  cart attached. Saves a lot of walking and time. I have seen brackets to attach to frame for cart. Maybe Sportsmen's Guide.

Good Luck

Bill
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
60" Black Widow 47@ 28
60" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
62" Thunderhorn 50@ 28
60" Black Widow  46@ 28 
NRA Member
Bill Wilhelm

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 03:39:00 AM »
I used a bike last september on my elk hunt in washington. All of the forest land roads were closed to motorized vehicles. We covered miles on the bikes and got very close to elk several times. We didnt have a cart and i just used the strap from my catquiver as a sling for my bow. That was my first bike hunt and it was great. We covered alot of miles quietly and went further than anyone on foot. Its a good way to hunt and we had a cart if we would have gotten one down.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 04:48:00 AM »
I grew up on 2 wheels before the idea was mainstream.  Its all I had to get around back than.  There were no carts.   I'd do it on a 10 speed but preferred mt bike handles.  If you Minnesota bows saw a kid with a stickbow on the phalen range up to chisago, that likely was me lol.  

I never did like slinging or strapping my bow down.  Every time I did I'd have to bail and would watch that bow get ground into asphalt/dirt and what ever else was around.   I preferred to carry it on top of my hands.  Its crude but it works.

When I moved to AK I did the same thing on a mt bike and it worked well.  I ended up with a bridgestone mt bike with some aero bars....yup I said that right a full aero bar set up.  Its a complete oval, the front portion comes up.   My bow would bounce all over the place and it was a pain, until I went to thicker wraps on the bars.   Since I've come up with ideas to add to the bars (I still have that bike) but haven't had the need at this point anyways.   A buddy dropped off a cart he found someone jerry rigged and broke.  I think she's doable with some modifications.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©