3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: coyote hunting... need advice  (Read 319 times)

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
coyote hunting... need advice
« on: January 05, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
I'd like to extend my season and try coyote hunting. What calls and dekes you use, and how do y'all set up?
It seems that electronic would be good to set up away from my hide, but that's a little more than I intend to spend.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: coyote hunting... need advice
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
You can use mouth calls. I prefer the adult and baby cottontail.   I do have an electronic call. I built it myself and use my iPhone for the sounds. Works great and have called several in. It cost me maybe 40-50 dollars. You can get on YouTube and see how to do it it's very simple. The biggest thing with coyotes is the wind. Good luck.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
They will always try to work downwind of the call which is why I prefer the electronic call (with a remote).  It allows me to set up so that if they are downwind of the call, I still have the angle on them to get a shot without being busted.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 05:09:00 PM »
PM Thumper Dunker on here. He is the King when it comes to killing coyotes with a stick bow!

Bisch

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
You can use a rabbit decoy. Hand call is what I do. I get a lot of them pretty close.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 07:10:00 PM »
Use a rag or piece of fur.  Hang that on a lower stand of barb wire.  Carry an old zebco reel and tie it on the wire.  Squeal and tug on that reel.  The visual of a squeeler on a wire makes them drop caution- sometimes.  Works, but use the wind too
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
Use the biggest broadhead you have. I put a 125gr two blade buzzcut through one at close range during elk season, think I hit him just behind the lungs. Never found him. My buddy said the same thing happened to him, bust down a shoulder on them if you can.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
PM Thumper Dunker on here. He is the King when it comes to killing coyotes with a stick bow!

Bisch
X2

PM Thumper Dunker. He's killed billions of em.

I would give you tips but I tend to only see em when I get lucky!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 12:12:00 AM »
I raise chickens.  They do all the decoying and calling that seems to be necessary.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
I called in a number them during the deer season with a fawn bleat deer call. I did not get a clean shot off at one of them, but they came in fast and circled to my down wind side every time.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »
They are pretty wary as you probably know, set up with a decoy of some kind to keep their attention.  Understanding that they almost always come from downwind helps a lot, they also like to follow cover so along a fence line or bush works well.  I start calling softly in case one is nearby and I slowly increase the volume, I usually call every few minutes but others like to call incessantly, I dunno which really works best though.  Get a squeaker and if you see one switch to that, it seems to bring them in closer than a howling rabbit.  If you can set up crosswind that's a good idea too and hopefully they won't scent you first.  Don't walk downwind of your calling stand because if they hit your scent trail they will probably take off.  Bows might work but so do other "tools" and if you are serious about getting lots it might bear thinking about.  They will see the smallest movement and hear the smallest unnatural sound so keep it all to a minimum especially at bow range.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©