3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with fiberglass bow problem????  (Read 204 times)

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Help with fiberglass bow problem????
« on: September 13, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
I am making a fiberglass laminated bow. While feathering out the limb tip overlay, I ground pretty far into the fiberglass on the back of the bow right where the limb tip overlay meets the fiberglass. I was using and air grinder with a round sanding drum. I just got in a hurry and dug too deep, I think I had the grinder at a slight angle. I would post a pic but I don't think it would show much. It is .050 glass and I dug through about .030 on one edge and deeper as it runs across the glass, on the other side maybe through .040? So I am left with only .010 on one edge and maybe .020 on the other. THe divet is basically a hollowed out spot.
   I cut the string grooves and the bow is done except final sanding and finish. I strung it up and have shot it several times. My question is how concerned should I be about the bow letting loose and breaking at that point where it is so thin?  I would suspect this will be the weakest point but I have left it strung for a few days and I can't detect and obvious distortion in the profile of the limb other than the obvious divet across the glass. Any help or ideas appreciated. Steve

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with fiberglass bow problem????
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
warden,grind the tip overlay off and put a longer one on to overlap the grind spot , make sure you have plenty of glue in the dip and you will be all right, the tip don,t have as much stress as you would think, good luck

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 03:05:00 AM »
ttt

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »
I'm just guessing, but shaft slinger's advice sounds logical to me.  I think I'd want longer reinforcements and the divot filled with epoxy if it was mine.  I guess I'd also add the longer reinforcement to the other tip also, just for symmetry.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
I would cut the limb a 1" shorter on each limb and put new tips on it. depending on how short the bow is already. It will gain 6 to 8 lbs depending on limb design and reflex.
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©