3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grand Adventure - Kansas!  (Read 1209 times)

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grand Adventure - Kansas!
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
Having that young buck come right to 10 yards that way was awesome to say the least! When the buck flew by us at 7 yards I thought he had pick off Tim but this coyote chased him for a bit - I guess to see if he was injured or weak?? I was flabbergasted when the coyote stopped right next to me at 6 yards.

I was looking at him before I ever got the camera around and I had never been that close to one before. For a minute there I felt like Thumper Dunker! Tim almost crowned him and I figured WOW! What a hunt thinking it was over.

About 15 minutes later I looked to my left and saw the back half of a deer 35 yards away. I couldn't get the camera up in time to get this doe coming in because she was facing us till she banked up the hill. Didn't figure that Tim would be able to shoot through the cover we had on the left side of us but she stopped in a hole. Again, forgive my poor camera work. Someone who would know what they were doing could have gotten a lot better footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bO4Fw_bVQfU
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
After Tim shot we thought he had hit the limbs above him but turns out there was a 2 foot high tree trunk about 2" in diameter that was right where it did not need to be. At the end of that clip you see Tim pointing to another deer. He could see it and thought it was that does yearling but I never got it on camera.

We waiting about 15 minutes and went up the hill and just as Tim thought we found the arrow laying there. Only about 3" of penetration and just a few bits of meat on the blade so we were convinced and thankful that it was just a flesh wound and she would be fine.

We went back to our seats to sit out the hour or so we had left to hunt. I was so excited I couldn't hardly stand myself as I sat there thinking on what just happened. We came into an un scouted area, found sign, set up and was covered up in fur!

As if to complete what to me was the greatest day of hunting we had this happened as the sun was going down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qWavhTlq9Q&feature=player_detailpage
Todd Trahan

Offline Mac Hicks

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »
Grand adventure for sure Todd!  Thanks for sharing your hunt.  I'm really liking my Spot 360 for late season ground hunting.     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
U.S. Navy Retired 1965-1989
TGMM Family of the Bow

There are 2 secrets to wisdom: 1. Never tell everything you know.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 11:59:00 PM »
We hunted a couple more days and actually saw a shooter buck on the last morning about 300 yards away on the other side of a draw. We saw 6 deer that morning. He looked to be 20" wide and Tim saw some good tine length so he would have certainly got an arrow launched at him if he would have come in range.

We said goodbye to John and his awesome wife Melinda and drove all night to get back home. I like Kansas alot and hope I get the chance to go back again one day. The ground hunting opportunities there are abundant and they certainly have some trophy bucks. I gained a whole new appreciation for you northern guys that hunt in that cold, cold weather. The clothes you have to wear just to stay out there creates challenges with your shooting as well as mobility.

Every objective was accomplished on this hunt. Tim and I had a great time hunting and videoing as well as just hanging out. The history and terrain was new to me and that is always exciting. The SPOT 360 worked flawlessly. We never found a spot that we could not set up and to sit that many days in a row without being stoved up was a wonderfully new experience. Even the strategy - Find the Spot, Hunt the Spot - worked pretty well considering the deer movement was not what they said it usually is. Like every hunt, memories are made and things happen that you could just never predict.

As we were knocking down the miles on the way back we spoke of how blessed we are to be hunters and to have experienced a trip like this. Many a man will never see what we saw or hear what we heard. I am thankful that I am a hunter and especially that my hunting led me to traditional archery. Not sure exactly how that happened but sure glad it did.

And I thought back to that sunset when those geese were honking as they flew overhead. How the Holy Spirit fell over me as I listened to all of creation giving God glory once again.
Todd Trahan

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 05:57:00 AM »
Great tale and time, no big bucks, but an appreciation of all that really matters.
Thanks for sharing.

My strategy when it's "crunchy" is to TRY and sound like a deer walking. Several steps with a pause. Some more and pause. Listen to them coming in and try to mimic that. Can't say it works, but can't say it doesn't either. Makes me feel better at least!
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline NANUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing that awesome adventure and the videos were very cool.  What type of video camera did you use?
" Don't be bitter, Be better!"

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
I really enjoyed this thread!  I found myself holding my breath during the close encounters with the deer!  Luckily I didn't have a bow in my hands or I might have put a hole through a wall!     :biglaugh:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. I have a whole new appreciation for guys like Guru who put together videos and pictures so well. It is time consuming but really neat to preserve the memories and also share. I need to stay wide zoom more.

Mr.Mac, Glad you are enjoying your SPOT 360.

Hopewell Tom, Tim and I did actually employ that technique on a few ocassions when we got close to where we hunted. We had first heard of this at a G Fred Asbell Clinic at Black Widow. Fred threw down Corn Flakes and it was amazing how deer like it sounded. He had on moccasins! A little harder to do in boots that weigh 20 pounds! It made me feel better too!
Todd Trahan

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
For anyone wondering how the 'ground game' can be won, this would be a great thread to read through!
>>>--------->

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
Nanuk, The camera was a Canon Digital but I don't remember the model number. It was Tim's camera and he is out of town right now. The footage on a HD TV was so clear it was amazing. We would plug it in every night and play back what I had videoed. Amazing clarity and it is so small to carry. Also, the battery is this little tiny thing but even in that cold temperature it would hold charge unbelievably. Only thing I did not like was that the video files when downloaded were in a format on Canon's software that had to be converted to a file that you could share which took a lot of time.

Bernie, You crack me up because I can relate!
Todd Trahan

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
Very cool Todd!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
And I thought back to that sunset when those geese were honking as they flew overhead. How the Holy Spirit fell over me as I listened to all of creation giving God glory once again.

I had very similar experience just watching the video  :thumbsup:  

Praise God  :campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
Great stuff!   :clapper:
Conny

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2014, 03:26:00 PM »
I think that 360 chair may be exactly what I need.  Being on public land only I can think of a bunch of spots where being on the ground could give me an edge.  The two chairs I have now don't swivel so its really hard to make certain shots without getting off the chair completely.  I pretty much only treestand hunt now but this could really help in areas where the trees aren't good for stands.
>>>--------->

Offline trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
Todd tell Tim congrats on a nice doe. It sure looked cold. I be giving the spot 360 a good workout next week in Ohio. I'll let you know how it does.
Will(Trapper)
Will McQueen

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
Altiman94,

If you saw the videos above where Tim shot at the coyote to his right side and then the doe to his hard left side you see the benefit of a seat that swivels. Heck, when the small buck ran past me I could never have turned and videoed him if the seat I were on did not swivel.

The doe that Tim shot when his bow hit the small tree ran up the same hill as the buck but on the very opposite hard left. I did not capture her on video but had the camera toward her. I swiveled in the direction she went and watched her go up that hill. I almost don't think about the benefits of the swiveling capabilities while hunting but afterwards it really hits home and you know things could have been a lot different.
Todd Trahan

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
Trapper, I will tell Tim congrats. Good talking to you today. Hope your hunt is a great success!!!
Todd Trahan

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
Finally had a chance to read through this thread and watch all the videos!  Grand adventure indeed!  Thanks for taking us along… really enjoyed it!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline rcheryhunter1949

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2014, 01:12:00 AM »
Toddly,
Great post, I really enjoyed it and I was there!  It looks a lot warmer on video!!  LOL  You did an awesome job on the post, and I'm glad I was able to be a part of it with you.  GOD willing, we will do it again next year and I'll video you shooting a Kansas buck on the Spot 360, which is, by the way, the most versatile and comfortable seat I have ever used.  Thanks again for another grand adventure.  I'll be in touch.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
Tim, So I see you have made it back from "thawing out" in the Carribean after freezing in Kansas!!! LOL! Your right, it looks a lot warmer on video. Thanks for the insulated coveralls. I owe you one for that. Can't wait to do it again.
Todd Trahan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©