3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What kind of speed is everyone else getting? (Stalker Static 58" 45# @ 26 Chrono'd)  (Read 1704 times)

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Ravenhood:
Keep pulling it back farther till you get the desired speed.  LOL
I've been known to catch myself doing this when shooting through a chrono, all of a sudden the tip is on the shelf lol
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline alteredbeast

• Trad Bowhunter
Samick sage td 62" recurve 50# 27" draw I got 165 with 2117 and a 125 gr field tip but with a home made bamboo arrow it got 178

Offline GrisMunkyNinja

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for all the replies everyone.  Guess I have no excuse now!   :D
Stalker Wolverine 58" 45# @ 26

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
Omega recurve, 54# at 30", 545 gr arrow at 190 fps. Been working on form and my draw is scratching 31" lately though, which makes for a 57# and a little too much for me. After 50-60 arrows I start short drawing and flinching.

Working on a new bow that's 50# at 31". I'll trade some fps for comfort and accuracy  :)

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
horse bow  don't know but it is    :biglaugh:   fast enough to kill    :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
A wise man(owner of a bow shop) once told me " If you like the way your bow shoots(hits spot on) NEVER crono " he went on to say he had seen to meny archers that could shoot lights out, crono the bow and NOT get the speed advertised.  Then they would start to mess   :smileystooges:    with thier setups(for speed) till they couldn't hit   :knothead:    anything and the bows became   :banghead:    very loud. SO if you like the cast   :archer2:    of your arrow ,speed should be the last consern.
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
Bldtrailer,   good advice!   :readit:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by iohkus:
Bldtrailer,   good advice!     :readit:  
I agree totally, I personally mainly chronograph because I'm building wood bows and I use it as a measure of how efficient the bow is.
Regardless how fast it shoots I add arrow weight until I'm around 150FPS ... becuase that make for the gaps I'm most used to ... I find that sufficient for 35yds point on distance w/ pointer finger at corner of mouth.

By the way, one other nice thing about chronographing is this ... if you repeatedly shoot arrows at the same speed or within 1-2FPS, you know your anchor and release are extremely consistent.

Offline adamgti

• Trad Bowhunter
Hill Country Harvest Master, 58# @ 28, I draw 29.
gold tip 7595 traditional 636gr 180 fps, the first generation of goldtip tradtional were 100gr lighter and I was shooting them at 196fps.
Quartermoon 62" r/d longbow 53# @ 29"

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
My specs are in my signature below and I am very satisfied with my results.

I also have a relatively short draw as well and shoot a relatively heavy arrow.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline adamgti

• Trad Bowhunter
Well I was at the range after work and decided to see what speed my other bows made.

Trad tech apex with 40# @28 extreme BF limbs shoots a 318 gr arrow at 201fps

Black widow SA 57# @27 shoots a 662gr arrow at 188fps

Quartermoon longbow 53# @29 shoots a 540gr arrow at 176fps

I'm extremely surprised with the Quartermoon as I never really thought it would be that fast as it is so delicate in the hand and smooth to shoot.
Quartermoon 62" r/d longbow 53# @ 29"

Offline arrowlauncherdj

• Trad Bowhunter
Home brew recurve, belly mount. 62" amo... 60@28" and 175 fps at 10gpp rigged for hunting shot with fingers drawing 28".  

The one I made for el greco of the same design shot the same arrow at 185 fps at 28" (9gpp) and 175 at 26" (10gpp), I had made some design mods as the learning progressed and was pleasantly surprised. Shooting his arrows at bout 8.5 gpp  at 26" draw which is his draw, it shot mid 190's average.  He was a happy camper.

Dave

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
So Wildman how you doing these days. Those Morrisons are pretty good bows Huh? I know you probably will never want anything else-----   :bigsmyl:
High on Archery.

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
I have only chronoed my Grozer biocomposite Assyrian. 41# @ 27". 174fps with 400g gt3555 and 185 fps with 345g 1535. Haven't tested my Caribow Peregrine of similar weight but shooting from 20 yards it's noticeably faster..
Instinctive gapper.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Crooked Stic:
So Wildman how you doing these days. Those Morrisons are pretty good bows Huh? I know you probably will never want anything else-----    :bigsmyl:  
Mike,

I'm retired now, so my supply of fun money has dried up!    :(   I'll be sticking with the Morrison until I get to the point that I don't feel like hunting anymore.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
Blackwidow CHX 53@28 I drawl 26.5 with a 517gr arrow I get 177fps standard 14 strand BW string beaver balls over my crony. Widow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
ooops!  wrong thread...

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
Accuracy with a sharp BH kills, not speed!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline GrisMunkyNinja

• Trad Bowhunter
Finally chrono'd my PSE Talon 58" 44# @ 26" avg 154 fps same arrow same string.  Interesting to note the limbs are labeled as 40# @ 28".  They are also dynamic limbs.

Stalker Wolverine 58" 45# @ 26

Kirkll, that was a different thread. To the Selfbow19953 accuracy comment. This thread is a request for speed. Bare with me. Years ago an archery dealer, me and a farmer were at a shoot. The dealer shot his compound, me a 72# Schulz and the farmer a 50something reverse Hill. At a long antelope shot. We all shot three arrows. We all hit it once. The difference was two of the slow arrows from the reverse were under the antelope, two of mine were just over its back, and the two misses from the compound were gone, must have used the wrong sight pin. When we shot our bows through the local chrono set up, The compound had me beat by 20 fps, I had the reverse beat by about the same. Later the compound dealer tried that reverse and never let it go. He shot a deer with it and swore that no compound ever made could have pulled off the shot he took that killed his buck. How one gets off a shot when things are not a perfect setup has a lot to do with bow design and shooting form. Oh and sticking to the thread.  I got 188 with 2018s at my draw, another fellow with a longer draw than mine got a lot more out of my bow, and the 53 pound reverse Hill got 168 with cedars.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©