3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: quiet please!!!!  (Read 452 times)

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
quiet please!!!!
« on: September 13, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »
i am working on making my recurve as quiet as possible. getting ready to install the sting silencers now that i have the string shot in good. the bow is basically tuned with just some minor adjustments to make after putting on the silencers.

first off what have you found to be the absolute best for making the string quiet?  i have only used the rubber cat whiskers up to this point but after shooting "Miss Hope" last month i am thinking about putting some beaver balls on.  if i use the beaver balls what's the best way to install them?  i have searched the site and can't locate any threads on putting them on.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: quiet please!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »
If you are shooting a dacron string, string leeches work great. Not real "trad looking" but very effective. I have had problems with my D-97 strings cutting the leeches however.

The "puff balls" or similar products work well and are very lightweight. Personally I like 2 small ones on top and bottom(separated by a couple inches) as opposed to one larger one on top and bottom.

Mark
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
I've tried pretty much everything out there, from fur through wool to rubber. To press, the best I've found is the Wooly Whispers. I buy 2 sets & snug 2 up together (basically making one BIG one) placed 9" from my end loops, then trim 'em down to a neat ball. It seems to work better for me than anything else I've tried.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
Rob, two items that will make it as quiet as can be, Bow Hush and Hush puppies. I wrap the ends of the string with the Hush and put the puppies at the 1/4 marks on the string,ie measure the string from where it touches on one limb to where it touches on the other and divide that measurement by 4,if 56" divided by 4 would be 14" so would put the puppie at 14" down from where the string touches on the top and bottom limbs.I cut the Puppie in half length wise and use half on each end of the string. You can use the entire puppy on each side but I prefer just half.Just seperate the string bundles and put the puppy between them,string the bow and trim the ends. They come with instructions. That is my recommendation.Here is what they look like.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
I agree with Danny, I am kinda partial to the Bow Hush and Hush Puppies. You may have to play around with the location of the Pups though.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
mink fur works good just one thin strip to make one at one end and another at the other end. or ya can use roo fur i have some of that and that works good as well. i only make mine 2" long.   :thumbsup:   :archer:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
One thing I have learned is what works well on one bow may not be as effeciant on another,In other words I couldnt find anything quieter then rubber whiskers on my shawnee.But they had to be placed in the proper spot.I think you can get the same results from numerous silencers if place properly and located on the bow properly.  :)
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
I use otter fur, or beaver. But like Mark noted above, I use two sets on top and bottom with a small space between them. Work well for me.
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
I doubled up on the Bow Hush, raised my nock point and got my Black Widow TFV quiet as a mouse.  :)  Ten grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight helps alot too. Don't forget those Cat Whiskers.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
I agree with the bow hush and hush puppies. A nice, heavy arrow helps alot also.

Offline iacornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
Pale face I want to know the same thing. How do you attach the beaver fur strips? Do you tie them on or wrap them through the strings?
Choose ye this day whom you shall follow, as for me and my household we shall follow the LORD.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
Rob & Danny do you guys tie the wooly's or pups to the string or just put them in between the string?
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
Separate the string, put one end, about 1/4", then wrap in the direction of the twist. Put the other end in like the initial one then tighten the ball. Shooting will fluff it somewhat. I usually use beaver or mink and put them half way between the string loop and the serving ends.
 Works for me anyway.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
Rob, I'm with you. Those silencers on Hope were the bee's knees. I think Tippit, or JC could help in this matter. I think they were wool, and if I can find them, I'll never use another type of silencer again.

As far as installation goes, I believe they were just tucked in the string on one end, wrapped tight, and tucked in again.

I'll be on the edge of my seat to find out what they are.

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
PaleFace,
I make my own.  The first thing I do is wrap the last 8 inches with marino wool, like I was serving it.  Then I cut 32 strands of the same wool, about 1.5 inches each.  Bundle them in 16 strand bundles.  Just bunch the bundle up and put the center of the bundle in the appropriate spot on the limb.  As stated above, about 1/4 of the way down each limb.  
Quiets the bow down a ton! And you have done it yourself.
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Offline iacornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
Thanks guys I just installed my beaver balls. Hey! I just realized I was a poet and just didn't know it.
Choose ye this day whom you shall follow, as for me and my household we shall follow the LORD.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 12:40:00 AM »
Rob, No, no tying necessary. once you have them in place, with bow strung "Pluck" the string a few times to Puff them out,I normally pluck some and go shoot some arrows. They will stay put. Just make sure the string is waxed well.Onec puffed you can move them up or down as needed for tuning for quiet, Just push them one way or the other.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
Hope and Faith have Hush Puppies.

Its been amaizing at how many people have asked about those 'silencers' on Hope and Faith since we started their travels two years ago.

www.bowhush.com
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
I think if we were doing scientific testing on bow noise, we would find that rubber cat wiskers are the most efficient. I have them on My Lil Favorite right now.

That said, I LOVE the way fur looks (beaver, mink,whatever)...and I have never had a bow that wouldn't quiet down with it.

I decide where to place the silencers by dividing the string into "1/3's".
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
Rob,

I love the beaver balls  :eek:  (did I just write that?) I just open the strands of the string and slide one end in, wrap tight and close, and thread the other end in.

Adam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©