3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The archer's cloak  (Read 686 times)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The archer's cloak
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
I have one in very heavy weight wool I bought at King Richards Faire and its like wearing an oven but the sleeves are huge and hang down maybe 10-12 inches and I can't see using it for archery but I haven't honestly tried.. I use a leather belt with belt bag and its perfect for primitive Black Powder.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
I bought my Swanndri jacket when TOO SHORT was selling them from Screaming Eagle....great clothing item with very tight knit wool.

Paul Brunner had them do a buffalo plaid and also a camo version...but normally they come in grey, blue or green.

There are some similar versions out and about but I have hunted in 18* freezing rain and snow with this over a filson wool vest...over an woolrich alaskan shirt....woolrich wool pants...lacrosse iceman boots....beanie cap and wool gloves and been TOASTY.  Put hood up...sit up against a tree and you will fall asleep...haha

Here is a good description and photos of the Swandri Mosgiel shirt/jacket
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
Swanndri uses a 100 year old process to  make  the wool water proof, The shirt, isn't a shirt like  your  use  too, it's quite thick and long, goes  about  midway down  the thigh,  and  you  wouldn't tuck it  into  your  pants. It's  made  this  long so as to enable  the wearer to  sit  down  in mud and muck  if  the  need  should  arise  while  hunting,  and  not  get wet.

They  use  to  be  made  in New Zealand,  but  like  many  things  today,  the  wool  is  still  made  and  treated in New Zealand,  but  it's  now  made  into a garment in China and shipped  back  to New Zealand.

Both  my shirt and jacket were  the  originals  made  in New Zealand, now if  you  want originals,  you  have to  shop  around.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
im rt on the coast in no cal .I had a camo swandri shirt as in pic it was fine 40 miles east of here.but if you are humping hills on the coast you need a light rain poncho over fleece.I personally don't think it is rt for every weather situation.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
I'll pass on the cloak thing.  Just to much material hanging off to get hung up on stuff.

Besides, all the deer would be scared off with my hunting buddies laughing there butts off at me.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
I been thinking about getting a hooded plaid robe in fleece or wool. I am thinking about customizing it with some buttons and inner pockets for hand warmers and such. After the winter season they go on sale.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
Really the idea is something simple (see the video where Grey takes a blanket and makes a cloak with marbles and string).

When he pulls his arm out to shoot it looked easy and simple. I know most of the deer I have shot I had ample time to get ready. Heck getting the bow off the hook is a lot of motion also.

Swanndri looks fine but $300 is a little rich for me and defeats the concept of simple, love to have one as a gift.
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
Yes, everything has it's place, maybe on the west coast you can wear fleece with a poncho or some other water proof garment, but if you get sweated up and and get hurt, or get stuck for some other reason and can't move around for whatever reason, and it gets cold, you'll wish you had some wool !

I paid about 1/3 the list price for my Swanndri shirt and jacket, I ain't rich either, just smart and in the right place at the right time.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »
There are plenty of plans on the internet for building capotes and blanket shirts out of wool blankets. Much more practical than a poncho arrangement.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Stonedog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
I bought some "camo" burlap from my local Tractor supply.  I cut is big enough to cover me up when standing....then wear it like a match coat.  When I sit down (I use a Torges tree seat) I all but disappear....I think it was $15?  I have seen it clearance for $10 or so...cheaper and cooler than a ghillie suit....and useful for all weather!

It's not hard core real tree, just more a mottled pile of old leaves pattern...
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Winter is Coming

-Stark family words

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©