3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog hunting  (Read 371 times)

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog hunting
« on: January 06, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
First of all, I'd like to apologize if this isn't in the right spot.  I looked for the "trade-a-hunt" and couldn't find it.

I'm wondering if anyone on Tradgang who lives in hog hunting areas would like to help a couple Iowa boys with a place to hunt.  I'm not looking for a handout by any means.  I'm also not looking for anyone to hold my hand.  A buddy and I were talking about taking a trip to Arkansas, Texas, etc, camping out for a few days, and trying to stick a couple hogs.  I've been reading up on state hunting laws, and I really just need someone to point me in the right direction, or give permission to hunt on private land.  
To be honest, if someone says, "Go up highway ... a couple miles and head north ..." that'd probably be good enough.

I'd like to say I could trade a hunt and hook you up with a big Iowa whitetail, but I can't promise that.  I could probably set you up on some good places but even I've been having trouble finding the big ones this year.

Anyway, if anyone wouldn't mind giving some advise, please message me or email at [email protected].  We don't really have a time frame; just whenever we get some help or figure out what we're doing  :)
Maybe we could shoot a hog for you or pitch in a few bucks.  Just let me know what's fair.

Thanks in advance guys!
Joe
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »
If you're looking for public land, I'd seriously consider Georgia.

Lots of posts on here about hog hunting on GA public land.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
Joe,

I live In south Mississippi and although I have yet to stick one the last 2 years I've been learning.

There are several public WMA throughout our state that hold plenty of hogs.  I hunt the Pascagoula River WMA and have been on hogs several times just havnt made the shots.

Check out our state regs you may find it to your liking.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
Texas has some excellent hog hunting. I live in east tx and kill plenty of hogs. My oldest brother lives in Wyoming and has made a trip down here every year for the last 3 years just to hog hunt! Lost of wma's to choose from. Also local land owners are more than happy to have someone hunt hogs on their property even if they don't let anyone hunt for other game! I currently have a couple of places that I only hunt for hogs! Put up a stand or blind, throw out some corn and let the fun begin! I better add that even though I have killed numerous hogs I haven't got 1 with traditional equipment. Didn't go trad till last fall. But I very confident that will change in just aatter of days! Deer season ended yesterday! Pm me and I'll send you some pics!!!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »
Is it legal to camp (tents not RV's) on the public land where you're at?  That's our plan, anyway.  Heck, maybe just camp in our blinds  :)
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »
Yes in designated camp areas.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 08:26:00 AM »
You are in luck...Texas has a place called Granger WMA...public land just north of Austin..about 12000 acres, part of which is a dam that dumps into a pecan grove...hogs.

I think a license might cost 50 bucks for a non resident (no deer) and the yearly WMA permit is about 50 bucks too....

Check the public land hunting on TX Parks and Wildlife website...

Or...you can hang on a little bit and soon after deer season is over I'm gonna go hunt Granger myself and I'll send you a full report....

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
Try JCO Bowhunts thier not expensive and your chances are alot better with an outfitter than going public land or even going on private land with out it being setup for hog hunting . A bunch of us Dakota boys will be there in Feb. Join us .
  His number is 361-947-9424 Brett Bolting and he and his partner are trad hunters 100% ... Or call me ....Tim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©