3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting bicycle  (Read 496 times)

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting bicycle
« on: January 07, 2014, 07:32:00 AM »
http://www.cogburnoutdoors.com/  

this is pretty cool

Edit I just went to their website and its $2,200.00 still nice but I suspect they will have trouble selling at that price point

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting bicycle
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Custom and top end bikes are outta sight like everything else.  Most of us can do very well with a bike costing a third of that amount.

Nice looking bike though.

ChuckC

Offline rcheryhunter1949

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
That is a cool bike and a great tool for accessing areas more quickly and quietly than walking. I have a bike that I rigged up myself but I had to weld a rack on the back, buy knobby tires and good quality tubes and paint it. If a guy has the cash, purchases like this are the thing to do because you can tell the difference in quality the first time you use it.

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »
i thought "cool" as i was reading some online review. then i saw the $ and stopped reading. 2grand....

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »
Have been looking into these types of bikes myself, there are a few out there also right around that price range. In visiting in person with some " bike experts" one of the things that sets these bike a part from some 1/3 the price is easy of operation due mostly to the gear ratio. They say the gear ratio that these bikes have even given the big soft tires, that the energy required to get these bikes to perform is very little and very enjoyable. I know that I will be saving my rainy day money if possible to buy one. I need where I hunt.

Offline GentlemanArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »
here you go...
 http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/fat-bikes.htm

I've bought from these guys in the past.  You would need to do final assembly yourself or take it to a local shop and have them finished up assembly and adjustment.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
Fat Bikes are still new and of course demand a higher price. That said, you're paying a lot for the 'camo' novelty here with that bike.  Shimano Deore components are not high end. You could get a regular fat bike and paint it camo/green yourself and be $700 ahead.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
You might try to find a used Surly Pugsley.  They've been around since 2006 or 2007 (I think) and you should be able to get gently used bike with better components for much cheaper.  Good bikes with good components can take the abuse and last a long time.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
when I am packing a bow, arrows and a seat, I don't try prove that I am any kind of a stunt biker. The cheap bike I already have has lasted for years with no damage at all. Although when it is muddy, I walk. If I had really fat tires, I would still walk when it got muddy. The bike I had before, for free, a John Deere lasted for many years. I finally gave it to a college kid. Apparently, he has done the same. For the past ten years various college kids have been riding around town and on the local hiking trail, on my ugly green hunting bike.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »
The "ultimate" hunting bike would have much better features such as a woman's frame (no high bar to swing leg over) and a simple 8 speed hub (no clicking when free wheeling and a coaster brake).

Doesn't anyone put any thought into this stuff?
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
one of those fake gas tanks with a button on the side that make a horn beep, (I always wanted one of those), and a cup holder.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
The best hunting bike is a cheap one.  You're going to have it out in the mud, strap all kinds of crap to it, get blood on it, and dump it in the bushes while you hunt all day.

Offline hayneda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »
Folks around here use bikes to access areas of the wildlife refuge closed to cars during the season.  Mostly garage sale or craigslist specials, $100 or so, with a hand spray flat brown paint and jury-rigged trailer from an old kid's trailer.
Davy Haynes
Huntsville, AL

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
I used bikes in Fl. for about 10yrs and lived at the campsite for the whole season in a tent every yr.

I hunted everyday of the seasons..plus or minus a day or two to get water, etc. Rode the bikes about 7 miles one way to get to my spots. Across creeks halfway up the wheels, through hog root n' and everything else..wide open..time was scarce to get back in before daylight and out before checkout time. Never once even got off to cross the creeks, just stood up and maneuvered through the holes and over the logs..never fell..miracle. Did have many crashes on the way in and out though.

I bought $50 walmart specials, back then or a hair more if that's all they had. They lasted about two yrs.

I camo painted my first one, but stopped doing it because it's too hard to find where you left one laying in the bushes when chasing gobblers...sometimes I would forget the area.

I'd leave them hid in the woods at the parking area over nights to keep from loading on and off the rack.

I ordered a good set of handle bars that I could reach while sitting straight up and a big wide soft seat and good shock absorbing stem for seat.
Switched those parts out on the new bikes. Also gravitated to women's bikes because I carried my stands on the back wheel rack and was a pain getting my leg over the stand when getting off the bike. Also much easier with a woman's bike to just stop and maneuver around the bike.

Only time I missed the bar for a man's bike was when hauling game out on it..easier to tie to and hold the weight of deer or hog.

I also hated every trip in and every trip out..felt every little bump or pebble in the road...it wasn't a leisure bike ride...but was a no motorized vehicle area and only way to go.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
I have an aluminum deer cart to carry my Huntmor, and sometimes a deer.  I use a chunk of parchute cord for a hitch. I put the bike in my 4 by 6 cargo trailer that is my version of a pickup. I use the trailer because my wife would let me buy a new Subaru Outback, but not a pickup or a new bike. Where I hunt, I mostly run on old field drives, so the bike does not get beat up too much.

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »
I rode a fat tire Pugsley at a State Park Winterfest a few years ago. I was riding on about 4" of snow and it was unreal,almost like you were floating. The tires on these can run you easily over $100 a piece....but the ride is like no other.

Good Shooting,
                                Craig

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »
Do you have to get a handlebar basket to carry the deer out?

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
Hello Charlie,

Does  he  let  you steer  once  in awhile ?
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©