3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gold Standard elk broadhead?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
Gold Standard elk broadhead?
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
With all the broadheads on the market and assuming the "the one you can get the sharpest",
What broadhead do you feel is your "Gold Standard" for elk hunting with reasonable poundage traditional tackle?  
I'm asking for the guys who've actually killed elk, and why they consider that particular broadhead, blood trails, recovery distance, penetration, ease of sharpening in the field, durability, etc.

So what is that ONE broadhead for you that you compare all others to?
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline rkelly

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gold Standard elk broadhead?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
Have only shot one elk.
Zwinkie delta 2 blade
2 holes
80 yard recovery
easy to sharpen
very strong
Used them for a lot of years on deer.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
If I was told I had to choose one head to hunt with forever and that was it. I would choose the magnus stinger four blade. I am starting to like VPAs as well. I have not yet killed an elk with one though.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
There are tons of good heads out there, and I don't think any stand head and shoulders above the rest.  I use Zwickey 4-blade Deltas, Abowyer single bevel Wapitis, and 2-blade STOS. I almost always have at least two of the three in my quiver when elk hunting.  And, yes, I have killed a few elk with them.  

I'd have no compunction about using a half-dozen or more other heads. Put the arrow in the right place with a sharp cut on contact head, and they'll all do the job.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
I'm sure there are western hunters with more lills than me but I have taken a few.  I have used the G5 Montec and Slick Tricks to take Elk.  My arrows this year will have a 3 Blade VPA broadhead.  200 grain on my trad gear and 100 grain on my training wheel bow.  I got a complete pass through with the Montec and slick trick but the Montecs were dull as can be after the shot. The slick tricks performed well but the VPA just bores holes in animals.  I have not taken an elk with a VPA yet but I have several trad guys that are avid elk hunters and that is all they use.   They have had multiple kills.  They convinced me to make the change this year and I am glad I did.    They are not cheap but well worth it in my opinion.  The other advantage to the VPA style head is you can shoot them, sharpen them up and go get back at it.
T ZZZZ

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
I've killed all my elk with Bear Razorheads but wouldn't hesitate to use Zwicky's or Ace heads.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
This will be fun thread..
Shooting 55# long bows I've killed elk with:
 thunder heads
 zwicky 2 blade
 magus 4
 and woodsman. The longest recovery was 100 yards.
Shortest was 40 yards (2 with in sight). Today my favorites are Woodsman and Grizzlies... I now this does not help... sorry...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
Don't know if this counts but I shot an adult female moose with a 200  grain Razorcap and she was down in 3 strides. Bow was 60# and the arrow was a Beman MFX 340.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bill Carlsen:
Don't know if this counts but I shot an adult female moose with a 200  grain Razorcap and she was down in 3 strides. Bow was 60# and the arrow was a Beman MFX 340.
Yep, counts for me!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline long time archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
Killed two with Zwickey Delta 145 gr. NO tracking as both fell within sight.
long time archer

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
I prefer a non-vented three blade head.  Never had a issue with penetration.  Its my gold standard.

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
There are a multitude of components leading to a successful Elk kill and the broad head is just one. I am by no means a seasoned expert but the two that my son and I killed  died with easy recoveries, mine died within earshot at 30 yds. We used Abowyer Brown Bears and will do so again this year.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
well, I think this will yield a huge number of varied responses. I am personally sold on Simmons Tree Sharks, but I also pull 68lbs at my 32" draw. I have a lot of extra zip behind that big broadhead. I also have only killed one elk with a bow, so take it as a poorly researched opinion. I do know that elk die real quickly if you get both lungs with a bullet or a blade.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »
No elk kills here, but my cow moose was with a 3great blade rfa on a wood shaft. I think gold standard, especially on elk, is confidence and a well made head. Which there are a bunch. Oh and listen to Randy  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
I've used Stos and Abowyer Wapiti heads in the past.  After in the field experience seeing how well those heads penetrate (complete pass throughs) I will be shooting a 250 gr 3 blade VPA next year.  I am confident it will have plenty of penetration and give me a slight advantage on blood trails.   My logic was to err on the side of caution at first so I used a 1-1/8" 2 blade first then a 1-1/4" two blade and now I'll go to 1-1/8" 3 blade and probably stop at that now that I have confidence based on my own experience.   I shoot 58-59#s @ 29" w/ 600gr arrows.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by FerretWYO:
If I was told I had to choose one head to hunt with forever and that was it. I would choose the magnus stinger four blade. I am starting to like VPAs as well. I have not yet killed an elk with one though.
Same here
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
Any sharp head except expandables. Stay away from them. I personally use Zwicky of several models

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
I don't think one broad head is going to do the job any better than the next one is as long as they are really sharp.

I do not care for the real wide blades that could cause penetration issues hitting a rib side ways. i personally prefer the woodsman style with the 3:1 wedge ratio. i've seen those split an elk rib and still get a pass through no problem... i also prefer 9" of cutting edge over the 5" you get with the two blade.

the most important thing is being able to sharpen them easily and keep em that way.

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
NBK...one thing you might do ; is take a look at back issues of Traditional Bowhunter magazines...I always look closely at the equipment others are using successfully...

Offline JApple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
NBK,

Seriously consider Grizzly two blade single bevel.  Shot my first elk this year with one,  50# @28 with Doug Fir arrow using a 140 Gr broad head. Complete penetration with exit wound at 25 yds.  I like them because they are tough, strong, and easy to sharpen especially with a KME.  As others have said,  there are MANY great broadheads but I think the single bevel two blades have some good data to back them. Good luck!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©