3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gold Standard elk broadhead?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gold Standard elk broadhead?
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
Disclamer: never taken an elk

I am using a 200 grain (with insert) single bevel Tusker Concord.  Shoots through 2x6 boards so I suspect it will work on elk.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
Pumatrax, I do that all the time and I'd say that zwickey and Magnus two blades seem to pop up frequently.  

JApple, what poundage and draw length were you pushing?  I've never used the grizzlies but based upon design they sure seem like a benchmark broadhead to me.

I appreciate the opinions based upon personal development, like the example of moving to three blades because of more than adequate penetration with lean two blades.
And if I had as much horsepower as Trumpkin I'd shoot those flying hatchets too!
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline JApple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
NBK,
I use a Sarrels 3 piece LB 50@28... I draw around 30.5 so I'm shooting about 57#?  Good luck in your quest, lots of great advice on this site.

J

Offline Rays Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 12:26:00 AM »
Nice topic
I enjoy the woods taking game is the icing on the cake.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 05:54:00 AM »
of the elk ive shot with a bow zwickey eskimos have worked great. First one I shot was with a 74lb widow ma at 7 yards about 20 years ago (how the hell did the time go by) elk died at around the 40 yard mark stone dead. After killing 4 deer with simmons interceptors I would not hesitate to put this to work on elk.

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 06:14:00 AM »
We are trying to put and elk hunt together again, this is very interesting. We talked to some of the locals that were successful, several years ago when we tried to put an elk trip together. One wheelie guy was afraid his expandables would fly apart when he went for more pounds to get a faster arrow. No matter what spine shaft he tried,he found that his favorite expany thing had an upper speed limit when he test shot them. So he got Howard Hills and sharpened them exactly like the instructions said. He said that he had never seen anything go down so fast and bleed so much. Must have been a good hit. Another that has shot a few elk with a shorter draw from a 50 something pound Schulz longbow used razor sharp Hunter Heads and got the same results. They both are now using 140 grain Hills for deer and claim them to be all around superior. The wheelie guy still uses a file and is convinced he is right, the longbow shooter buffs his to a razor edge and is convinced he is right. Another recurve shooter uses 4 blade Deltas for deer for the blood trails and uses only two blade Escimoes for elk. It is really interesting that we have so many workable options.  I always hear about how tough elk are, all I run across are success stories. I wonder what does not work.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 06:23:00 AM »
The head I took out west was a Vintage Archery Tuff Head. Super durable, easy to keep sharp in the field. I did not kill an elk with it, but it zipped through a mule deer in Wyoming so quick I thought I missed   ;)  

I believe in this single bevel 3:1 style for heavy boned animals.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 05:32:00 PM »
5x5 40yd shot 2 jump recovery 2 blade zwickey.58# Black widow 550 gr arrow.I shoot 52# now i use a 160 Grizzly sharpened with a accurate sharp.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Stone Sheep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
I shot my bull this year with a 160gr VPA three blade in front of a douglas fir shaft. total arrow weight of 620 grains out of a 56# longbow. Had a complete pass through at 20 yards and the arrow was stuck in the hillside afte exiting the elk.I use this set up for everything from coyote to deer to elk.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Board of Directors (past)
United Bowunters of Missouri Board of Directors

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Stone sheep, I checked out the thread on your bull this year, wow great animal!  ( nice looking bow too!)
Mike

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
Things I've SEEN not work (not all mine!): 1) strange angle shots  2)hitting too far forward in the chest 3) missing   ;)   4) shooting entry too far back on hard quartering 4) having a BROADHEAD FAIL WHEN HITTING BONE  it was a Montec G5  through an 80 lb bow. Razor sharp and broke at threads.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2014, 07:50:00 PM »
The Eclipse 145 grain with bleeders is my preferred broadhead, regardless of the critter being hunted.  Took my AK Moose with an Eclipse out of a 58# selfbow but no elk with one.  They fly good and are really tough. I Have used both Magnus 125 & 145 grain and 190 Grizzly's successfully on elk.  

With all the quality broadheads on the market, find the one that flies best out of your setup then concentrate on your accuracy and arrow flight.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
Well I hate to say it but I have shot 3 elk and no recoveries. First one was about 25 years ago with an 79# wheelie bow easten 2419 with a 125 thunderhead.   Shot was from 25 yds low and behind the leg and up to the vanes.  Never would believe an animal could drop that much blood and still live.
Second was another 6x6 with a 60# long bow and Wensels broadhead.  Can't blame the broadhead on this one 14 yds and the hit was dead in the shoulder blade.    :knothead:  Pick a spot.  
Third was a 5x5 at 29 yds same bow and head.  Got 16 1/2" of penetration high and behind the shoulder.  Couldn't find a drop of blood.
Hopefully the 4th is a charm and not the third.     :pray:

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
Good and honest thread.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »
TTT.
Mike

Offline Rays Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 03:38:00 AM »
Are there more successful elk hunters out there?
I enjoy the woods taking game is the icing on the cake.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
VPA three blade 250gr. Quartering away 25 yds. Blood trail Stevie Wonder could have followed but the bull only went 10 yds or so. 55lb Bushbow
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
I've shot a couple with Simmons safari heads.  One crappy shot in front of the shoulder on a cow.  Pass through and she made it probably 600 yards before tipping over. **** a bull perfect at about 25 yards. Head just poked through opposite hide in meat of shoulder. Watched him tip over. I will continue to use the safari head for all the big critters I hunt.  Moose in Alaska this year!
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
I've been several times, but never got a shot at an elk! I would not hesitate to launch one of my arrows tipped with one of my 150gr German Kinetic Silverflames at any elk out there though!

An elk is way up there on my bucket list too!

Bisch

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2014, 12:41:00 AM »
I've killed em with magnus 2's, stinger 4 blades, werewolves, and wouldn't hesitate to use grizzly, tuffhead or vpa. They go down quick when you put a SHARP broadhead where it belongs. Hit bone and you will wish you had a single bevel head and some weight behind it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©