3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Centaur Chimera or all Glass???  (Read 855 times)

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
Centaur Chimera or all Glass???
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
Ok, if you had to make a quick choice between a Chimera or Glass Centuar what would it be and why?  

Ive owned Chimeras, Triple Carbons and all Glass.  I enjoyed all of them equally, and was very surprised how fast the simple "glass" bow was.  To be honest I couldn't tell much of a difference, and I really don't place a huge amount of emphasis on "speed".

I know what the web page says, the Chimera is 4/5 fps faster then the glass, and the Elite is 4/5 faster then the Chimera.

SO, OTHER THEN JUST SPEED, do any of you notice or recognize any real advantages of the Chimera over the Glass??

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Centaur Chimera or all Glass???
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
I've had Glass, Chimera's, Double Carbon's, Triple Carbon's and Triple Carbon's with XTL. My favorite is still a Cocobolo and Yew Glass bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 11:45:00 PM »
I've had all three also and it's hard to go against the all glass just on beauty alone.  My next one will be a Chimera with XTL so I get a mix of both.
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline oulibeez

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 05:26:00 AM »
Waiting on delivery of my B & W ebony Chimera & so haven't shot it yet. Its still with Jim ! Hope it will be as good as everyone says it will be    :bigsmyl:

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 07:02:00 AM »
I've owned all of the models and I believe the Chimera with the XTL cores is my favorite...

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
My dream bow is a glass Centaur, Cocobolo riser with juniper limbs.......had one and let it go, I regret that decision every day.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
thanks for the thoughts fellas.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 10:35:00 AM »
I've owned the Chimera and the glass, and the glass was my favorite.  It was prettier, sounded better, and I was a bit more accurate with it.  I never checked speed with either, but both were 52# and I could not tell a bit of difference.
Lon Scott

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
...but I bet you will like either one...so order both.   :goldtooth:
Lon Scott

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
yeah Lon.. that would be the answer but my pockets say NO.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
I would pick the one I liked the look of better...I doubt there is enough performance difference to matter...I never did own one although I did have to back out on a deal once on a Chimera...a few shots from that bow and I knew I wanted to own it

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
Thanks all, going with glass but getting the XTL core, which I like for not only its stability/strength aspect but it makes a nice black accent strip between the limbs!

Going to be a 60", glass bow w/XTL, Cocobola riser, fiddleback limbs, black accents with the standard Centaur grips (no grooves)... I may get the grip wrapped in beavertail unless the cocobolo is just too nice to cover up!

Offline hunthold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »
Nice choice! The only model centaur I haven't owned is the all glass. Which would probably be my next one. I too prefer no finger grooves and a wrapped handle on mine. Sweet bows!

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
Matt,

If I were to get another Centaur that is the model I would get hands down.  I have gravitated away from all the composite hype and mostly because of the way they sound...

Chuck(nineworlds9)has the model your describing and it may behove you to send him a pm.  I've read it is his goto rig and he has what appears to be a serious addiction.  Just wish he was a righty.

:archer:  

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Chuck's Centaur is a Carbon Elite, with XTL. The carbon side is just hidden with the rattlesnake skins.

Added on edit:
Originally posted by nineworlds9:
The finished result is a 1pc 62" 56@28 Carbon Elite w/XTL, bocote riser, thumbrest, small stippling, a raven's head custom engraving and some gorgeous prairie rattler skins.  It is my dream bow and a perfect counterpart to my 3pc Slammer.  

Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »
There is no wrong choice here.......as long as it is a Centaur, you can't go wrong    :D  

I got the Chimera with XTL mainly because I had it skinned so I figured if I was going to cover up something, I might as well get carbon under there for the small performance increase.
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
Well a glass w/ XTL??  Didnt know you could do that?  Hmm, why not?  Personally, If I were getting a second Centaur, itd be a Chimera, you can't see the back of the bow anyway and performance and stability is nice, so I would go with a Chimera with XTL..and if you want to jazz it up on the back get Jim to do some of his freakin amazing skins!

As Scott and chromebuck said, my personal bow is a skinned triple elite.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
I've had all three options. I am partial to the Chimera as it is a mix of high tech,and traditional wood beauty. I like that XLT lamination. These bows are thin limbed,and Jim put's it in there to reduce torsional no-no's. I just wish somebody would talk him into making a 64 or 66"er.   rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
Can't go wrong with any Centaurs, Jim is top notch also!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by nineworlds9:
 so I would go with a Chimera with XTL..and if you want to jazz it up on the back get Jim to do some of his freakin amazing skins!

Chuck knows that is my plan - a Chimera with XTL, and skinned to cover the carbon.   :thumbsup:
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©