3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Favorite Turkey Box Calls?  (Read 1087 times)

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
Favorite Turkey Box Calls?
« on: January 09, 2014, 07:27:00 AM »
I've been itching to have a go at turkey hunting, and need to get a box call.  Any suggestions on a good box call?

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite Turkey Box Calls?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 07:44:00 AM »
I had 3 box calls, gave 1 to my daughter and the other 2 sit on the shelf. My Zink slate is all I use now, I really believe the slates are a better call. Mouth calls are fine as well, but I have such a strong gag reflex I haven't found one I could use. (yeah, the dentist loves me!)
SWA Spyder

Offline JRHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
They are all pretty good. A good turkey call is only as good as you think it is. If you are comfortable with it and have confidence in the call you can call un a turkey. I suggest you go to a place where you can try out multiple makes & styles and pick the one you like the best and then practice with it until you are comfortable (especially when your heart is beating 100 beats per minute because a gobbler has gobbled at your call and it's been 5 minutes since you heard him and want to call softly to find out where he is at and your hands are shaking like a leaf). Any box call is capable of calling in a turkey, the sound and reaction is up to you.  
Just my 10 cents worth.

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 08:03:00 AM »
If there is 1 box call to have, get a Lynch Fool Proof.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 08:23:00 AM »
I have to second DJ on the Lynch call.  I have hunted turkeys for 45 yrs or so and have used about every call there is.  I was a die hard mount call guy until about 5 years ago when I went back to the Box call and slate (quieter call).  I find very few guys in my neck of the woods using the box call much.  I am convinced the fact mine sounds different then the other callers gives me an advantage.  I hunted a piece of property in VA with the farmer who is 83 years old and watched the old gobblers respond to his 50+ year old box.  Made me switch back pretty quick.
T ZZZZ

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by D.J. Carr:
X3 and I've been doing this turkey hunting thing awhile... I stopped looking for a box call a LONG time ago when I got Lynch's Fool Proof....    :thumbsup:

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by KAZ:

Originally posted by D.J. Carr:
X3 and I've been doing this turkey hunting thing awhile... I stopped looking for a box call a LONG time ago when I got Lynch's Fool Proof….     :thumbsup:  [/b]
X4

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
If only there was an associate sponsor here how makes the best sounding individually tuned box calls there are...
Send me a pm if you are serious about a box call.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
My Dad bought me a Lynch Fool Proof for a my birthday about 30 years ago, I've spent hundreds on box calls since then to always go back to the Lynch call.  I stopped trying to find a better box call a couple years ago. Later in the spring I will also carry an old Kelly Cooper box call, that sounds dang good too, but its just for something a little different after the birds have had some pressure.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
Box calls are like bows, theres a lot of really well made commercially made calls out there and there are some excellent customs.  The Lynchs World Champ is what I started with about 35 years ago.  Quaker Boy Grand Ole Master is my favorite Commercial call.  The last 7 or so years I've been using custom calls.  Woods Song is now by far my favorite.

Although I've become very proficient with a mouth call, I never hit the woods with out a boxcall.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
My property is located in an area where Michigan started some of it's first turkey seasons. We've been turkey hunting on our property since the late 1970's. In fact, my dad and I were turkey hunting the morning of the failed rescue attempt of the Iranian hostages. I vividly remember the dairy farmer, whose farm we were hunting that morning, pulling up on his tractor and telling my dad and I what happened.

Back then, the hunt ended at noon and we had to drive to a DNR office and check in any bird killed. To Michigan turkey hunters new to the sport, that must seem bizarre.

With all that said, in my opinion, no turkey call collection is complete without the Lynch World Champion Box Call. I've called in more birds with the World Champion Box than with all other calls combined.

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »
Look at Spring Creek Turkey calls at  www.springcreekturkeycalls.com.  Highly recommend Mike's calls.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
Well if your looking for just a box to call a Turkey most any of the ones mentioned will do that and most of the other commercial  made calls as well. But if you want an outstanding call, one you will be proud to own and sounds more like a turkey than a turkey does then get yourself a custom made call.
  I know your thinking why spend that much on a call when I can get 3 cheap ones for that much. Well that's just what you get cheap ones. What kind of bow you shoot?, is it a massed produced assembly line import from China, Korea ect... Or maybe hand made by one of our custom Bowyers here in the U.S. You certainly get what you pay for.
  Do a search for custom made box calls, there a several really good ones out there. If you want to know some of the best, PM me I'll be glad to pass along a few names.
  Some people hunt turkeys a few times a year, just to pass time until deer seasons comes along. Then there are some of us who live for the spring, plan and practice all year long, hunt weeks not days, travel to several states, spend buckets of money , just to hear a gobble, just to match wits, one on one with the grandest bird of all. I think Colonel Kelly was right, there is a legion.

R.W.
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »
I'd like to get a custom, but are there any nice customs that do an easy and realistic gobble call? All the customs I've seen seem to be yelp only. With my old Lynch, I've had the best luck using the gobble/with rubber bands. With the World Champ, shake it and get ready. LOL

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
Have 2 Lynch's a Fool Proof and an old gobble box. Nice thing about boxes not many guys use them anymore. Older a Lynch gets the better it sounds.Also use a Cody Envy Pot and glass.

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by bulldog18:
Look at Spring Creek Turkey calls at  www.springcreekturkeycalls.com.  Highly recommend Mike's calls.
X2

Killer boxes at very reasonable prices!
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
Mojostick  
A good custom boxcaller is only as good as the guy running it. A good box will yelp, cluck, cutt, purr and cackle. You can on some make a decent gobble to get by with.

I wouldn't be to concerned about gobbling if your  hunting public land.

Mike
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 01:15:00 PM »
I'm hunting private land. The gobble with the Lynch World Champ is the money call and the one that 90% of the birds have been killed with at my place over the last 35 years. When you gobble right over another Tom that's gobbling, that really PO's them off and they come running in.

I'd like a custom call for the beauty of it. I don't want just a decent gobble, I want one to match the World Champ call gobble, otherwise I won't spend the money on a pretty call that doesn't gobble as well. I assume someone must make one. I'll look around. Thanks.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
Just a list of few of my own box calls which are outstanding leading world class calls.

Scott Basehore
Irving Whitt
Michael Lapp
Albert Paul

Irving Whitt and Albert Paul’s lead times are far less than the others listed.

If you desire a box that produces a gobble beyond any I have heard nor any my master custom box call maker and close friend has heard, then an Irving Whitt is easily a premier choice. A gobble produced by a box call is typically easily discerned as having come from a box. When Irving runs his box, you will wonder why all fine boxes don’t replicate the quality w/o the distinguishable box call sound. His box is world class and commands the status as the Stradivarius of the gobble. If one plans to attend the NWTF 3 day convention with hopes of acquiring one, take note that Irving’s calls are often sold out the 1st day.

There are many fine call makers; however the aforementioned calls hold the elite status both in the field and show.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
I'd add Marlin Watkins and Jeff McKamey to the list that Friend posted. All these guys make a box that will make all turkey sounds including the gobble, and do it very well, you just have to learn how to run it.

R.W.
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©