3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: is this bad steel?  (Read 544 times)

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: is this bad steel?
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
I want to add even after mine rehoned well I dont use them today. There is no way a blade should roll like that that easy especially through flesh as mine did. Its a shame too because they are the right shape and size.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
I have shot a single bevel tusker in the dirt, cleaned it off, then shot it a few dozen times into my rhinoblock, still sharp.  50-52 rockwell
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
Flying Dogg
Contributor 2014
Member # 5977

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2014 12:41 PM      Profile for Flying Dogg   Email Flying Dogg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  The edge appears to be rolled over which may be a heat treat problem. I would contact Steelforce as I am sure they would be interested in the problem.

I sent steel force an email with pics over a week ago, nothing but crickets.  They advertize a life time warranty.  ????

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
I  have seen this happen to 3 or 4  different makes of broadheads. All of them were stainless steel. I had some replaceable blade Cabelas points that actually looked as if they were almost serrated after passing through an animal, much worse looking than your points. IMO it has to do with stainless that is too soft and has been ground to a very fine edge.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 12:04:00 AM »
Tuskers are tough.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 01:26:00 AM »
I see some of the broadheads being mentioned as tough, and that is a good thing usually.  I have also personally seen some of those "tough" heads do very poorly on hard impact, in other words break on contact.  Never saw that happen with the tuffheads, though.

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 01:38:00 AM »
I know there are many single bevel fans but they are a less supported edge than the double bevel- by design.

The single bevel needs to be quality tempered steel for the design not to fail.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©