3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kifaru, tenzing or..?  (Read 641 times)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Kifaru, tenzing or..?
« on: January 10, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
I have a Eberlestock Blue Widow and it is great until I get 50+lbs in it then it sags a little. Looking to upgrade. I really like the looks of  the Kifaru Nomad and EMRII. Leery of paying that much for a pack without being able to load test it myself prior though.

Any other suggestions? I'm looking for a pack with heavy hauling comfort that can double as a day pack.

I was also looking at a Tenzing 5000 ut they are made over seas.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kifaru, tenzing or..?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
Jim,

Kifaru will let you have 30 days to try it out. As long as you keep it clean, you can send it back. I doubt many come back.

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
Take a good look at Mystery Ranch also.

Online Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
I know that Kuiu is going with a new, lighter and improved version of their packs, another option.

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
Kifaru and Mystery Ranch are at the top of my lists.   Have a G1 Zulu and Molle Express with a few extras, looking at a Timberlane 2 for 2014, well see if the budget can handle it???

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
Jim,

Jason and I both got Kifaru packs this year and absolutely loved them when packing moose meat.  They are in Denver and would be a good day trip for you to go check it out.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
I had the Eberlestock Blue Widow, it was a good pack. Switched to a Kifaru Timberline last year. For me, a WORLD of difference! Really no comparison, better fit, better built, simpler design, slimmer fit.

chris <><

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
Run the various classifieds and suction sites and you should be able to turn up an emr or longhunter.  I run a G2 longhunter with composite stays and couldn't be happier.  The Kuiu frame can't take the same weight as the Kifaru.  I haven't met anyone yet who bought a mystery ranch and didn't later wish they had gone Kifaru.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
Great info guys thank you! Denver is about 12 hours from me I believe. If I could get a cheap SouthWest flight it might be worth it.

I like the looks of the Nomad but with frame and some pockets it was like $700. Tough pill to swallow. I would like to get just one pack that will do everything well and be done though.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
NRA Life Member.

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
I just got back from the ATA Show where I got to check out a new pack company, EXO. They have a pack that is 3,500. Titanium frame, really comfortable. I know the guy who designed it,he spent a lot of time with Ebrlestock. Should be one to keep an eye out on. Built in Boise.

Offline D.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
Mystery Ranch. The Nice frame is hard to beat.

Online Jorge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 07:51:00 AM »
Stone Glacier is another option for backpacks

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
Which packs did you get Wingnut?
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 06:59:00 PM »
Mystery Ranch!!  Check out archery talk classifieds - couple for sale right now.
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
Anytime there is a heavy load called for, I want a pack with a tup strap. The tump strap puts the load on the hole skeleton, instead of just the shoulders. Just like the voygiers of old, I was told of a Canadian moose guide can transport his body weight in moose meat with a very simple canvas and tup strap setup, that is stored rolled up until needed.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
Jim,

I'd first recommend the Kifaru followed closely by Mystery Ranch.  Like so many things fit is personal.  There are things I like a lot about both systems but personally I give the nod to the Kifaru packs.

Having been hauling heavy loads in Alaska since the mid-70's with everything from external aluminum frame packs to internal frame packs my opinion is based on having been there and done that.  BY FAR the best system I've found is either the Kifaru or Mystery Ranch.  For what it's worth I am currently using my 5th or 6th Kifaru pack (their Longhunter guide model which isn't being made any more) and also own and sometimes use a MR NICE 6500 and a MR Metcalf.  

For most hunting situations I think a simple big bag with good compression straps is the way to go.  You can always make a big bag smaller by compressing it down but you can't make a small bag bigger.  The weight differential between a small bag on a removable frame versus a big bag on a removable frame is negligible.  

There are two things upon which you should not compromise: one is the presence of a mid-level support platform/sleeping bag compartment.  You don't want a heavy load resting in the bottom of a bag.  The bottom of a heavy load is best carried with it bottomed out around your waist.  The second is an excellent load lifting system to keep the weight off of your shoulders and on your hips where it belongs.

Hauling September 2013:

The benefits of having a removable frame:

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
Kuiu,Stone Glacier,Tenzing and Kifiru are in a different world then the Blue Widow check them all out I bet you like one of them. I have a Kuiu and love it.   Widow

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
I am looking for a Kifaru frame if anyone is looking to part with one. Duplex would fit my needs the best I believe.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
I am in the same boat, read and researched.  I was going to buy a kifaru 5200 UL two years ago but now I am leaning towards a EMR 2. Looks like great options.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
Jim,
I just ordered a Kifaru Nomad yesterday.  Like you, I wanted a pack that could virtually accommodate all my hunts.  I think this pack will do the trick for me.  Besides all the other Kifaru amenities, it's versatility is what sold me.

Aloha!
Ryan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©