3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie's New Bow - Possible Fail  (Read 173 times)

Offline Silverback1988

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie's New Bow - Possible Fail
« on: January 11, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
Hey guys,

I've really wanted to get into archery lately and have found myself marveling at the beauty of vintage Bear bows. After browsing many antique malls and reading up on how to judge a decent bow, I finally pulled the trigger on one that I have been looking at for awhile. At $100, I thought a Bear Kodiak Hunter seemed like a great deal, but I think I may have made a mistake.

After cleaning the bow up and removing the old accessories (it did include a really nice vintage Bear bow quiver), I strung the bow and noticed that these cracks emerged.

Above, is a picture of the bow's backing. This vertical crack begins about 2-3 inches above the riser area of the bow.

Below, you can find a picture of the profile of the bow containing the upper limb which has the slight crack. From this angle, you can see the crack has formed a slight delamination at the stress point.

Now, I am not sure what to do. I was super excited to get this bow home and all set up. However, I am not sure if I can return it, since I purchased it at an antique mall. I have only done some reading around the internet, but from what I have researched, it seems as though some cracks are not an issue while others may be fatal for the bow. Additionally, it appears that certain cracks can be easily repaired?

Bottom Line: Is this bow toast?

Re: Newbie's New Bow - Possible Fail
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
If you cannot get your money back, I would not draw that bow back without sanding and wrapping about a two inch swath of fiber fishing line on a bed of epoxy. I have fixed an old bow that had impact glass damage, but the wood was not cracked. The bow has live on and has had thousands of shots through it.

Offline Silverback1988

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
Just checked the receipt. All sales are final  :(

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
Regardless of the outcome, try to keep in mind that any good flashlight requires a power source to enable one to view and experience the treasures that lay ahead.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
Keep an open Mind,

I am not an expert on the integrity of  the bow.  You received a heck of a deal on the bow!  The quiver depending on what it is, could be worth some money.  I traded a broken bow a few years back for a knife and custom can coozie.  

That crack appears to be ina  fade out area. that is a common place for bow failure.  

If the bow is not Shootable, all is not lost. You have gained some knowledge and saved yourself from being hurt.

If it is deemed safe, then you received a great deal on a good bow.

Good luck.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©