3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moose hunting experience/gear?  (Read 2287 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Moose hunting experience/gear?
« on: January 12, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
Planning a Moose hunt in Ontario for this fall! I used the search function to see what arrow/broadhead combinations fellow tradgangers have used with success and didn't find a lot of information. I am limited to either my PLIII or my one of my recurves at 53#@28". Wanting to up my arrow weight to 600+ grains from my 540ish gr. I presently shoot, which is no problem and am considering the 250 gr. VPA 3 blades. BUT, I am looking for feedback from folks here that have shot Moose! Share your experience, your equipment, what worked, what didn't work. Any input will be helpful and appreciated. Bow weight (should issues/doctors orders to stay under 55#) is the only thing I am locked in on, everything else is subject to improvement/change.
Thanks in advance! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline canuck4570

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moose hunting experience/gear?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
I shoot my mooses with my 375 H@H
but I can tell you of all the knives I tried to dress them the Avalon knife is the besthttp://www.havalon.com
but be certain to buy a kevlar glove because these knives are so sharp that they are dangerous
one blade easily dress one moose
believe me you use it to cut of the head with ease…..

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
I haven't hunted moose yet. I had a hunt booked in Alberta for this past October (1st week). The hunt was postponed as my hunting buddy recovered from cancer. We are rescheduled for the 1st week of this coming October.

I know what I'm going to use and the guide/outfitter, who is a bowhunter, says my set-up will do just fine. It is slightly less in every specification from yours.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the feed back........keep it coming! Mike

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
Mike,  

I shot a cow this year in Nfld.  60#@28 Big River R/D longbow.  Arrow was a CE350 w/ 100gr. insert 75gr adapter and Grizzly Kodiak 170gr.  Total arrow weight = 720gr and approximately 22% FOC.  Center punched a rib on the way in - lung, liver, paunch and poked out the far side but backed out the "in" side.   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=132598;p=1
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
Mike check out our United Bowhunter of Missouri on line magazine.
Brian Peterson took a moose in AK.

http://www.unitedbowhunters.com/DOCS/UnitedBowhunterWinter2014.pdf
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
Journeyman broadhead which is now an Eclipse. Super sturdy and easy to sharpen and keep sharp. Not a fan of the lighter bows - I used 65# and up on animals moose sized and larger. I do not see an upside to using a 3 blade - and I am not an anti 3 blade guy at all nor am I devoted to 2 blades in all cases. But Moose are big - you are going in on the light side of bow weight. In these situations where we push boundaries (moose, buffalo, BIG) and the other end of the spectrum (our kids using 30# bows on medium big game) we do go with flatblade heads. Moose are not difficult to track - something to consider. Not trying to start a 2 blade 3 blade discussion and wouldn't waste time on it - but respectfully consider a sturdy 2 blade for your hunt. I have used and seen used successfully STOS, Journeymans and even Magnus' Of the handful of very successful moose bowhunters I know I do not know any that like 3 blades. With a little more bow weight I would have confidence in a Razorcap.
Good Luck and Good Hunting
<><
<-------------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
macbow-just read it........cool story and some good info!
Thanks, Mike

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
I'm shooting the Abowyer two blade single bevel I think it's the Grizzley. A moose call is real easy just find a birch tree. When calling make lots of noise the bull I called in was just by breaking branches. If your near water and it's quite pour a gallon of water from about head height. Moose die easy when shot in the right spot.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
Mike this place looks nice Thousand Lakes Outposts not real cheap but a drive in hunt for 12 days is appealing
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
Mike,

I think you already have most the information from my moose hunt, but just in case:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=120989#000000

I used a 58# osage selfbow, 145 grain Eclipse broadhead, 625 grains was the total weight for my wood arrows made by Rob DiStefano, the site administrator here.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
Walt, I just clicked on the link and re-read your story.........awesome story and a great job on the Moose and on sharing it!
Thanks! Mike

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
Ron,

What type of tent is that in the last picture?
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
Mike,

You going to make the PBS Convention this March in Cincinnati?  If so, you can pick my brain, and a lot of others who are more experienced and knowledgeable.

Walt Francis

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
732 grain arrow. 2219 with woodsman BH.  65# Wes Wallace recurve. Called him in to 17 yards. Started calling in the morning at the last place I called the evening before- even though it was 3 miles from my tent. It took 9 trips to pack out alone. The terrain and distance will dictate your load weight. Move meat away from kill site if you have no vehicle. Moose are not foolish. No not underestimate their ears. Mike

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
Herdbull, would you go with the three blade again?
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
With the heavy arrow, bow weight and long draw, I would not hesitate to use my same set up. But with that said, reading and talking to many othger hunters who have taken the AK/Yu moose, I would go with a stout 2-blade next time. The reason is the imperfect shot and or placement. Things work great on the range, but I know too well what you are presented with in the wilds. Getting deflections in willow or dwarf birch brush is one of them.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
Look up my "Got Moose" thread from a few years back. Good luck!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Mike Schlegel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 11:23:00 PM »
Mike, I have taken 2 Shiras moose in Idaho, a bull and a cow. For the bull I used a 64lb selfbow and a 750 grain ash arrow tipped with a a 4 blade Zwickey Eskimo. Shot was 10 yards, lung hit, complete pass through. Bull went approximately 40 yards. I shot the cow using a 55lb Cari-bow Wolverine. I draw 27". The arrow was an Easton Axis Traditional, 630 grains, 3 blade VPA. Shot was 18-20 yards through the lungs, complete pass through.

Checkout the anatomy post at the beginning of PowWow. There is a great section on moose.

Take close, high percentage shots and you will do great!
Life Member Idaho State Bowhunters
Life Member PBS
Senior Member Pope & Young Club
Life Member RMEF
Member Compton
Cari-bow Wolverine 54@28 "go to" bow

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 06:36:00 AM »
Mike,

I've participated in the butchering of five Alaska-Yukon bulls...three of which I killed myself...and every one of them died quickly, the victim of a quality 2-blade head. It doesn't need to weigh over 140 grains, and you don't need any amount of 'extreme' in your rig. Keep it simple and sturdy. Your mid-50# bows will work, but you need to hit the chest and preferably perfectly broadside. I shoot a Beman 340 with Abowyer 175 Wapiti and 75gr adapter from a 64# longbow.

[/url] [/IMG]  

I've used a variety of knives, but my eyes got opened WIDE by the Cutco 5718 Drop Point with a Double D serrated edge. If you haven't used a fully-serrated knife on a large big game animal, you cannot imagine how much effort it saves. I only regret that I did several bulls before discovering the Cutco...a favorite knife of Alaskan hunters.

Don't take risky shots. My average kill distance is 12 yards. Be sure you're hitting maximum full-draw with every shot in practice. Shoot from a kneeling position, and shoot with your day-pack on. I killed my last bull at six yards while on my knees and the bow almost horizontal.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©