3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fluid or Maxed out extension...  (Read 232 times)

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
Fluid or Maxed out extension...
« on: January 12, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
Shooting with a loose and fluid style may shorten your draw an inch or so. Shooting with max tension and extension, {not locked out but close} may get faster arrow speed, but concentrating on putting the arrow in the target transcends both of these approaches. Not thinking about anything and just making the shot, at game, will yield all kind of inconsistencies, but man the arrow flight is cleaner, especially when you are in a stalking stance, the hits are consistent, and your mindset is almost like you are at play. Natural and instinctive.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fluid or Maxed out extension...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
How about if you come to maximum extension in one fluid motion and release as you get there?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
The only problem I see with that is, there is no room for your recoiling joints to move/go... after the shot.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Problem I had with that scenario was, well it sometimes shortened my draw by 6" (or 5, or 2 or 3) depending on the situation.  Smooth release yes.

I have no problem recoiling now.  Using your back muscles and keeping a relaxed arm, which, we all THINK we are doing but very few really are, makes it easy for the drawing arm to recoil after a release.

ChuckC

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
I think folks sometimes think of the Hill style form and using that form with Hill style bows as relaxed. It is and it isn't. Well certain joints are not topped out, there still needs to be dynamic power in the shot. The bent bowarm needs to be a powerful engaged mechanism that is driving the bow at the target. The shoulders are square to the target which naturally allows all of the right muscles to engage. The head and neck are in a foward tilted natural position,(no neck jamming).  The release is hard, but not ripping back. It is in the end just shooting, but it is just shooting with optimum power within the paramter of the shooters draw length. A recurve or a bow with a deep pistol grip will need a straighter bow arm. a bow that is large and bulky in the handle may need a longer aiming time to get on target. Overspines natural shot is likely a fluid very powerful shot, another may see that as a relaxed loose shot which will get fluffy without enough directive power. Some archers shooting at a standing target can go through an elaborate shooting sequence. Others may make their best shots with situations where natural reaction has to take over to get the shot off with the proper timing to match the situation.  The philosophies and the equipment are not always the same, but everyone needs to decide which  approach works best them. I shoot best in clutch  situations, I need to shoot longbows.  If my main conseration was how well I can shoot groups on a target or long shots at a 3d event where shot flexibility and timing was not an issue, I would shoot a large takedown recurve.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
My body seems to line up better, and give me a better sight window and release, when I get good extension, I can however, shoot many different ways should the need arise
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
Locking up is the easiest way for me to lose back tension, however short drawing is just a waste of energy for me. I extend to my natural, comfortable limit (which gives me a 30.5" draw), settle on the spot, and wait for the shot to go off. Shot in a fluid, unexpanded style for a long time but I got sick of missing targets and deer. I don't have very good eye-hand coordination, so that didn't work well for me.

Gotta love the bale and bridge. Easiest way I've found to see what really works for YOU, not just someone else  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©