3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how to lengthen carbons  (Read 654 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
how to lengthen carbons
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:46:00 PM »
new to the carbon world- i have some gold tip shafts, and they are about 1" short. how can i lengthen them- i know i will need to re-tune, buts thats ok.
any ideas
many thanks
wayne

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how to lengthen carbons
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
You might be able to foot them with a short piece of aluminum shaft.  Just a guess I've never tried.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 11:32:00 PM »
You need to buy an arrow streacher bro...

You can find em at any auto parts store right next to the blue muffler bearings....

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 11:53:00 PM »
Kirk you are behind the times...blue muffler bearings were replaced by the new and improved taupe version in 2010

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 11:57:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  
just down from the henweighs!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 12:10:00 AM »
The think to remember is that henweighs in Canada are metric now, same as the muffler bearings...it can get pretty confusing

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 12:14:00 AM »
When I find my arrows are too short I just put them on the saw and cut them longer
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 12:18:00 AM »
Apparently there is something in the water on the west side of the North American continent...there seems to be a theme here

DDave

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 12:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
Apparently there is something in the water on the west side of the North American continent...there seems to be a theme here

DDave
Hopefully it's not the medical marijuana!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 04:52:00 AM »
no safe way to make them longer, unless you want to put a overdraw on the bow. Then your arrow may still be used...
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 05:37:00 AM »
Fujimo  now at first I too was thinking "What the heck this fella's been smoking" like some other's are funning you about but then it had me think "What if a carbon was cut short" and the only thing I can come up with would be to take a aluminum shaft and epoxy it as you would a footing but leave an inch over and use a aluminum insert that fits that aluminum footing/shaft...Just have to re tune that's for sure...Sveltri had an idea there with the footing and I would say glue on the insert for the aluminum first then cut the amount you need for the carbon and epoxy it on last...There was a chart here that used to show exactly what aluminum shaft fit over carbons but I think you can make that arrow longer...

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 06:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Keefer:
Fujimo  now at first I too was thinking "What the heck this fella's been smoking" like some other's are funning you about but then it had me think "What if a carbon was cut short" and the only thing I can come up with would be to take a aluminum shaft and epoxy it as you would a footing but leave an inch over and use a aluminum insert that fits that aluminum footing/shaft...Just have to re tune that's for sure...Sveltri had an idea there with the footing and I would say glue on the insert for the aluminum first then cut the amount you need for the carbon and epoxy it on last...There was a chart here that used to show exactly what aluminum shaft fit over carbons but I think you can make that arrow longer...
keefer's right.

using the end of an aluminum arrow (2117 for 1535s and 3555s) the insert for the 2117 is just about 1". If you cut about 2.5" off a 2117 arrow with insert already installed you might be able to get something shootable for your draw. Then cut 2.5" lengths and add 2117 insert first then epoxy onto the carbon shaft.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »
Another way to add 1/2" or so to what has already been mentioned is to install gold tip nock coupler/adapters to the back of the arrow... Remove nock, push in nock coupler/adapter, install nock... It will stiffen the arrow some but it's easy. Just a thought.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
There are ways. . .  but likely, it would be best, and cheapest (and maybe safest) to just buy a half dozen new shafts and start over.

You can also have some custom made tip inserts made that stick out in front of the arrow a few inches.

ChuckC

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
Sounds like a ton of wasted time and trouble.  If they are new, post em for sale, at half, move em, and buy new ones and start over.
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 09:41:00 AM »
Ask around, offer to trade on the Arrows and Arrow Components Forum.  That's the safest way.  I would only use a "spliced" carbon for a one shot situation-hunting-where you expect to loose it.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
right now the shafts are at the new uncut length!!
they are just too short for my draw length- maybe i should just stick to the woodies.   :dunno:  
maybe the nock coupler is a starting point, then see about adding to the front.

have been tuning using point weight- not cutting.
thanks fellas

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
Sure glad your a good sport! We have been funning with you, but basically it's because there's no real good absolutely foolproof way to do it that I know of. What is your draw length and which model and size of Goldtip arrows do you have? Most of their models are 32" long I thought. I have monkey long arms and have a 31" draw, I understand your pain and have been in your shoes!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 10:38:00 AM »
I would be worried about the shafts spinning true with a footing and insert.

Hap

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 10:38:00 AM »
I would be worried about the shafts spinning true with a footing and insert.

Hap

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©