3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how to lengthen carbons  (Read 655 times)

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how to lengthen carbons
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
auto parts stores do not carry arrow stretchers....they are at the lumber yard net to the 2x stretchers.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
:smileystooges:  we got a kid at the jobsite to look for one for hours after he got back from the plumbing store looking for straight 90s

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
Jason,  
    :knothead:    :biglaugh:

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
I think I remember a guy making some take down arrows by cutting the arrow in half putting a standard insert in each half of the arrow at the new cut.  Then take a threaded piece of all-thread or a bolt with head cut off and thread it into each of the new inserts and turn each half of the arrow until they tighten up against each other.
Same concept could be used to lengthen I suppose?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
I think the aluminum footing would work fine. If the insert bottoms on the carbon it should add strength to the carbon. I would not hesitate to try it if I was in your position.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Burnsie:
I think I remember a guy making some take down arrows by cutting the arrow in half putting a standard insert in each half of the arrow at the new cut.  Then take a threaded piece of all-thread or a bolt with head cut off and thread it into each of the new inserts and turn each half of the arrow until they tighten up against each other.
Same concept could be used to lengthen I suppose?
I was thinking the same thing.  A lot of trouble to go through, but it would work.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
Also, I've heard of guys using very long aluminum footings, so you could do something similar....3" over existing arrow and 3" over a cut piece of carbon. Epoxy it together and now your arrow is 3" longer than it was. The new piece of carbon could be cut so that it's flush against the old piece and the point end already has the insert glued in.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
What are your shafts?  Best bet is to sell them and  try a different shaft.  If we know the shaft we can maybe recommend a similar spine that comes longer.  I know for instance that GT3555 have run short where a CE come longer.  

Probably a slim chance getting an idea fit for the aluminum footing. Most shafts I foot have the aluminum a hair big so wouldn't make for the straightest arrow.  I guess you could us a slow set epoxy and try and spin test, but I would jut get different shafts.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by BRIARS:
I think the aluminum footing would work fine. If the insert bottoms on the carbon it should add strength to the carbon. I would not hesitate to try it if I was in your position.
I have some 400 bemans that I did this exact thing to. I used hot melt so I could twist the footing to get them to spin true. I glued the insert in the footing and then slid the footing over the carbon shaft until the insert bottomed out on the carbon shaft.

I do agree that I would try to sell them and buy new shafts that would work...

Benjy
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 10:58:00 PM »
oh i dont mind the joshin'
gotta laugh at yourself before  you can laugh at any body else- and boy.... i laugh at( and sometimes with!) a lot of people around me.
this place is like home. i grew up in a boarding school, and spent time in the south african military- cant get tougher than that!

my shafts are 3555's, and as i measure the shafts, they are 30" long.
i have a good 29.5' draw- they are about an inch shorter than my wooden shafts.
ihave two dozen- one- is still in the wrapper- the other has been opened and they have white wraps on them-only 4 are fletched- one i have shot about 50 times the other three not at all. discovered the issue early on( oops- nearly wrote that i had discovered the issue with length early on....   :eek:   - but then that would have been lying- dunno watcha talking about!!)
so quit using them for the hunting this weekend and went back to using the 'woodies'   :D

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »
maybe i should try and sell them-
what would you recommend.
i shoot 50#- would love to keep the arrows full length if i could! and tune with tip weight if possible!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 11:26:00 PM »
What is your actual draw length
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 07:15:00 AM »
I must have at least a dozen carbon shafts of various brands that have been lengthened by up to 2". Never had one fail and I shoot alot. Believe it or not, I even miss from time to time (very rarely mind you).  :readit:   and have hit roots, dirt, rocks etc with most of these shafts at one time or another. No structural failures to date.

I'm sure some will disagree but if you only need to add an inch, a 2" aluminum external footing with an insert will add 7/8".

I install an insert in the carbon and file the lip flush with the outside of the shaft.

Then overfoot with the 2" aluminum so that the base of the insert in the aluminum footing is seated tight against the insert in the carbon.

You might try making just one up and torture testing it before selling your shafts and buying more.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
Cut the too short end off and glue it onto the other end of your arrow....

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »
The arrows I hunted with this year were 1535's that I cut off for Tracy. She switched arrows and these were just laying around. They were about 2" to short for me. So I cut a piece of carbon arrow to lengthen them. Then footed over that with aluminum arrow and used the insert in the aluminum to screw my broadhead into. It made those 1535 act MUCH stiffer as well. My footing ended up being about 5" long but I think you could get away with at least an inch less than that.
One thing that confuses me a little though. Is how did Tracy get new new Easton arrows and I ended up shooting her rejects that I had to use a board stretcher on?!?     :knothead:

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
Check with Big Jim. I think the new 3555GT Trads are now 32" long.

Sell the others. But if in a pickle I'd extend with the footing and see what happens.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
External footings in general go a long way in improving the structural integrity of the business ends of carbon shafts. Thanks to our friend Daniel Yononindo for the test and video:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=113309#000000

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
If your shafts are the black, XT Hunter shafts, I might be very interested in buying them if you decide to sell them.

Bisch

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
my draw length- from string to belly(deepest part of grip) 29.5" then still the 1.25 to 1.75 thickness of the handle!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
hey chef boy- you still alive!!??
thought you had dissapeared into the wilderness again.
watcha up to

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©