3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood vs. Carbon/Alum  (Read 280 times)

Offline Jono

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood vs. Carbon/Alum
« on: January 13, 2014, 03:09:00 AM »
Hi,

So been playing around with longbow for few months.

Always been shooting wood arrows.

I decided to shoot wood arrow due to the wood bow and arrow only event that comes up once in a month.

I do have carbon arrows, they fly alot straighter than my wood arrows.

My questions are should I stick with woodies just for the sake of being able to shoot better at the monthly event ? otherwise my accurate with woodies will be horrible if I only shoot carbon.

Thanks

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood vs. Carbon/Alum
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 04:31:00 AM »
If your wood arrows are tuned properly to your bow, they should shoot as well as your carbons.   :readit:    :archer2:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 06:20:00 AM »
Times two. Also check if your woodies are straight. If not, straighten them with a screw driver.  They should fly as well as your carbons and should be more forgiven. But maybe there is a weight difference between your woodies and carbons, that will give another flight also.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Jono

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
I was wondering what would cause a sudden drop at 30m+. My arrows tips are 100 gr (feels alot more heavy compare to the rest of the arrow) and I am only shooting 35lb. Sometimes arrows even fishtail on the front end when it gets windy

Offline snapper1d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 11:22:00 AM »
Jono,strip your feathers and shoot them bare shaft and tune them.Get one to shoot perfectly from your bow then check your spine on a spine tester and this will be the correct spine for your bow.I will do this till I get the first one perfectly.Then seal with lacquer and bare shaft it again.Some woods will suck up lacquer and get stiffer while some are not as porous and not suck up lacquer and wont change spine.If it stiffens up after sealing just sand a little till it spines correctly again.Then I sand the rest of the shafts till they are the same spine as the others.I seal and adjust till all are the same.Then fletch and its happy shooting.Oh I should of said to start with shafts that are all grouped in the same spine when you start.That way if you have to sand to adjust spine you will only be taking off little from each.If your shafts are weak you can remove tips and trim off the shaft a little at the time to stiffen the spine if needed.

Offline Jono

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »
Thanks snapper i will give that a go.

Tho I have limited equipment and will have to hit the range (an hour away from me) everytime.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©