3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Stalker Story.  (Read 583 times)

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
A Stalker Story.
« on: January 13, 2014, 07:22:00 AM »
It all started two years ago.  I shot competitive 3D archery for years with wheels.  I have been shooting longbows for about 6 or 7 years now but only shot my first traditional 3D shoot 2 years ago. After that first year I decided that it would be really nice to have one riser that I could swap limbs on and shoot in two classes. (longbow and recurve)  I did research for about a year on all the bowyers who made bows that would fit the bill.  I was able to shoot a few of the bows on my list at some local shoots.  I noticed one day that South at Stalker had a test drive program.  His wood options in his bows are incredible and the finished products speak for themselves.  I gave South a call one day and told him what I was looking for.  I must say that I was shocked at how little it was going to cost me to have a Coyote at my house to try out.    :D   After about a week, South had come up with a Riser and a set of longbow and recurve limbs.  The bow was headed my way.  If I'm not mistaken, it was mid October when I gave South the call.  Finally finished with the "Pregame" and on to the real story.  After I get the kids ready for school.

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Stalker Story.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
Kids are at school and a batch of jerky is started.

Photobucket has changed. Let me make sure I can figure out how to post pics.

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
Ok, so the Coyote arrives at my house. First impressions were that I really liked how the grip fit my hand. Fit and finish we're excellent. I put the longbow limbs on first as that is basically all I have shot since I've been shooting traditional archery.  I only had time for a few shots that first evening. The bow was noticeably fast and very dead in the hand. With no string silencers on, I was unsure of how quiet I could make the bow. We had rain and drizzle for the next 3 days. Bummer, I only had the bow for 1 week. The fist day after the rain I was able to shoot the longbow limbs a little more. The CE 250's with 200 gr up front @ 31" we're noticeably weak. I was running out of time, so I attached the static limbs. I built the window out slightly before shooting. Wow!  Very impressed instantly with the static limbs and much better arrow flight. I dropped 50 gr of point weight and they were flying perfectly. I couldn't stand it. The bow was shooting too good and I had one evening to hunt before I had to send it back. I had also seen enough and called South to place my order. I ordered 64" longbow limbs and 62" static limbs. Riser is Cocobolo and Myrtle. Both sets of limbs are Myrtle veneers footed with Cocobolo. Bamboo cores with carbon. Now on to the hunt.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
tap tap tap

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 11:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hot Hap:
tap tap tap
What he said^^^^

Bisch

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Uh not only did you make me hungry now im also in suspense.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
YUM!!!  Now back to the story...   :campfire:

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
Sorry guys!  Honey Doos are plentiful today.  So, the wind was perfect for a stand that had yet to be hunted this year. This has always been a good spot so my hopes were high. I had only been settled in for 45 min when I caught movement out in front. It was a nice doe and I new I would take her if she gave me the opportunity. At about 14 yards and quartering slightly too me, I hit full draw and picked a spot. As so often happens, the release was a surprise but I could see blood on impact. It was in the right spot.  About 4-5 seconds after the shot, I heard her crash. She had made it 65-75 yards. Hole in the pic is entry.

If that's not a good sign, I don't know what is. Oh, did I mention that South was only 4-6 weeks out on his bow orders. That means the new bow would arrive with a little season left.      ;)    ;)    ;)    ;)

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
That's a great picture!  Nice looking doe and a beautiful recurve.  Congratulations on your hunt and your new bow!     :clapper:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 01:49:00 PM »
Very nice ...congrats!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 01:56:00 PM »
That's a nice looking bow and a good shot. Congratulations!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
Great job on deer and hero shot Lance, and beautiful bow for sure!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
So now my mind in churning.  I have a new bow coming that is going to get to me with some season left.  I really want to take at least 1 deer with the new bow, but can't help but think how cool it would be to take a deer with each set of limbs.  The bow arrives in early to  mid December.  I put the static limbs on first, and with knowledge gained from the test drive bow, was able to quickly get it hunt ready.  I can't tell you how pleased I was with the way this bow turned out.  I had spoken with South several times telling him what I was looking for.  He had emailed me several pics of veneers to get a better idea of what I wanted.  It far exceeded my expectations.  I couldn't be happier.  I'm sure shipping my bow out was a huge relief for South not to have to deal with me any more.  Lol!  He was absolutely great to deal with.  I'll post pics of the bow later, but I still have a little story telling to do.  I have to go again, but will try and wrap this up this evening.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
Great job!!!!
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
Congrats on the doe! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Bisch

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
:campfire:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
Beautiful doe and bow!  Congrats on both!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
Congrats on the doe and the new stick. Enjoy!!!

Offline Traddict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
So with new bow and static limbs on, I go on an evening hunt to a stand that I really enjoy hunting. There is actually no stand just an oak with a limb to stand on and another to lean against. Shots out of this tree are always close. Less than 10 yards. You always have the feeling of being able to jump out on them. But, being as I'm aging rapidly and have no tail, I'll leave that to the superior predators and stick with a bow.  I had 5 deer all around me that evening. One pretty 2 1/2 year old 8.  A young 4 and several yearlings. The old doe I wanted stayed clear of the bucks and eventually slipped downwind of me. Needless to say that was the end of my evening. The next morning found me in a tripod overlooking a small clearing.  I had a 1 1/2 year old 4 pt come through early. I catch movement from my left. It's a 2 1/2 year old 3 point. Just what I was looking for. (We get to hunt this place for management purposes. Spikes, does, and culls are what we are looking for).  He was quartering slightly away when the string slipped from my fingers. He reacted and dropped. The arrow took him slightly above mid body and hung up at the fletchings as the exit was through the offside shoulder. I was worried about the shot being to high at first. I gave it some time and climbed down. There was good sign right away and a very visible trail to follow. I found him piled up about 80 yards away. Sorry for no pics. I left my phone at the house and didn't take any.
     So now, all that was left was to take a deer with the longbow limbs. I promptly got sick and had a cough that lasted forever. I was finally able to get back in the woods yesterday evening. Standing in the same tree where I was previously busted by the doe. I was a little nervous about the set as there was no leaves and I was feeling quiet naked.

Here's a pic of the tree.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
:campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©