3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: kifaru or tarptent for float trip??  (Read 382 times)

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
kifaru or tarptent for float trip??
« on: January 13, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
I'm doing a 12 day float hunt for moose this fall was wondering which tent to take.  I have a 6 man kifaru tipi w stove and a tarptent double rainbow. We will be setting these up every day and thought the tipi might be a pain in the butt.  The other members are bringing their own tents.
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: kifaru or tarptent for float trip??
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
I'd take my tipi and stove, but I would not move every day.  I'd pick out a few spots to stay and hunt.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
Steve makes a good point about not moving every day.  I float hunted several years either south or north of the Yukon and moved every day on all those hunts.  A wood stove would be an exquisite luxury because everything will be wet with condensation after the first day.  If you can find a good-looking spot and stay for a couple days the tipi would be the ticket.

On the other hand (being an owner of a Kifaru 16-man tipi) I fully understand how much of a pain they are to pitch and set up.  Either way make sure you have good rocky soil stakes, especially if using the tipi.  You will be camping on gravel bars for the most part.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
I'm very familiar with both products and often have to make the same decision.  If moving every day I would definitely go tarptent.  If there is any chance of severe weather or getting stuck in the shelter for multiple days I'd lean tipi.  Tarptent would probably also be my pick if the bugs look bad which I hear they can be on a moose hunt.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
Weather can always be an issue.  I'm not sure how often we will be moving yet.   My partners have done this trip twice before and I will have to get some more details on what they are planning. I definitely like the idea of spending more time hunting and calling than just putting on a ton of miles in the raft.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
Just curious why you wouldn't go with a more traditional tent since weight shouldn't be much of a issue on a float trip?  Not trying to argue, just asking...

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
Though I have a Sawtooth, I don't see the difficulty in taking the 8 man, my friend has one and they aren't that hard to put up.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
Gringol- these are just the tents I currently own that I figure will do fine. Each one has its own benefits.  Weight is still restricted to 70 pounds or so since we fly to the river in a super cub.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by TURKEYFOOTGIRL:
Gringol- these are just the tents I currently own that I figure will do fine. Each one has its own benefits.  Weight is still restricted to 70 pounds or so since we fly to the river in a super cub.
Gotcha.  Thanks.  Wasn't sure if I was missing some golden nugget of wisdom...

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
I have a 6-man Kifaru and don't consider it much of a problem to set up, and wouldn't find it troublesome doing it daily. Certainly quick and easy to take down.  Regardless, I too, would recommend not floating every day.

In 12 days, there's a good chance you're going to get several or more days of bad weather, which might keep you tent bound for a day or more.  Real nice to have a little extra room in the tent, and the stove will be worth its weight in gold by about the fourth day when everything you have is wet. Have fun.  Moose are an incredible critter to hunt.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 03:32:00 AM »
Like said above, if you can afford the weight and the hassle, the tent with stove should make things cozy, regardless. Having said that I think the only time I've had a stove on a river trip was when there was a cabin somewhere along the way, or it was a power boat trip and weight & space weren't an issue.  So personally like John I would consider it a luxury and not a necessity.

You might also consider renting an outfit at your destination. If you are headed to Alaska there are places to rent, say, an Arctic Oven and a stove.  Would cost some but would save airline baggage fees, and give you more tent choices.

I've floated a lot of rivers for work and play and packing camp everyday, not just the tent, gets old real quick.

And you seem like a pretty skookum guy and probably know all that already, but that's my 2 pennys.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©