3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What are we the most passionate about?  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
What are we the most passionate about?
« on: January 13, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
Reading a few threads it dawned upon me that people have different archery things they are passionate about. I'm talking about equipment here.

For many its the bow, for others it's the arrow, and what got me thinking about this thread it seems as if a lot of folks swear by a specific broadhead.

As I try to determine if I have such a strong preference I'm thinking about what would be the most difficult of these three things for someone to change my mind about.

For me it is the arrow. I shot MFX Classics until they were replaced by the Axis Trads.  I've shot many different bows. It wouldn't bother me to shoot one of several different broadheads, but I won't even consider a different arrow.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What are we the most passionate about?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
I won't consider anything but wooden arrows, just like I wouldn't consider hunting with a fiberglass laminated bow. I suppose some might consider me passionate about hunting with wooden bows and arrows, but the way I see it, it's just my preference. A very strong preference  :)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
Wood arrows.  Feather fletching.  Good companions.  Kentucky Burbon.  Obedient dogs.  Steady improvement.

And a patient and understanding wife.    :archer:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 04:55:00 PM »
I love old recurves and wood arrows. I can stare at 'em all day. I'd like to shoot another deer with my old Necedah and one of the remaining two cedars left from my first batch of twelve I made a few years ago.

We don't have to choose just one, do we?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 04:56:00 PM »
good question.  I'm overly passionate about none of it, or all of it I guess!  I don't get at all wrapped up in bow or arrow typed (speaking only for traditional gear here, I have no desire to ever shoot a compound again), and don't look down or up to anyone on their choices as I like the personal preference part.  self bows, modern laminated bows, metal handle bows, wood arrows, aluminum arrows, carbon arrows, its all good with me.

what I am passionate about, is elk.  plain and simple.
is it September yet??

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »
I have my preferences in bows, arrows broadheads, and pretty much anything else we could talk about.  Fortunately there are so many good products made today that there are several alternatives to each I would be happy with.

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
Longbows. I like all the types of arrows, broadheads, heck even the types of bows are great. For me though, when it comes to what I really like and what I think of when I talk about "my bow" it's always a longbow. I've been shooting a new recurve I made a few months ago, and though it's helped me bag a couple deer and squirrels this year, it still doesn't "click" for me.

It doesn't matter what style or what materials, I'm a longbow kind of guy!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
Most passionate about archery.    :archer:
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Submarinokotbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
The process and upkeep that is being a traditional archer. I like the mechanics and the instinct behind it. Not really a stuff guy.

When a good shot goes through the chest of a whitetail is pretty awesome!
I like a man who grins when he fights--Winston Churchill

Great moral teachers dont introduce new moralities: quacks and cranks do that...--C.S. Lewis

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
First is Hill style longbows. They are just something special to me. Also, I have a preference for wood arrows with shield cut feathers pushing a two blade broadhead. Lastly, I want to carry these arrows in a back quiver.
Sam

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
We often prefer, and are adamantly protective of, that which we are familiar with.  

I use "***" kind of broadhead, and it is awesome, the best.  But ya know, I haven't used all of them, I haven't killed 1000s of animals with these and in reality, there may be something out there a LOT better but I do not have the knowledge to see that because I didn't experience it.

Its the way we are.  

I cringe when I see posts asking for " the best broadhead", "the best longbow". "the best anything".  Like all tools, each is best for a certain task and maybe not any others.  

In fact, if I always used a pair of pliers to remove nuts and bolts, and had good luck with them, I may have a big opinion that they are better than 6pt sockets and wrenches of the proper size.

We are what we are.  Take all of the info here with a grain of salt and use the info to build your own knowledge base, to make your own decisions.

ChuckC

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
Its the flight of the arrow that does it for me. Watching the bright big ball of fletch arch to the spot you want is a priceless feeling.
The other big one for me is how the bow brings me outside. I can find a lot of excuses to not do chores or work outside. I can also find a million excuses why I HAVE to be outside with my bow shooting or hunting.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
I shoot longbows, recurves, all different kinds of arrows but once I started shooting concave heads( Simmons and Centaurs) I knew I found something g I would never stray from. Accurate, tough, deep penetrating and amazing blood trails♥
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
To me it's the feel,It only feels right when I am hunting with my bow.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
Fast shooting 64" long recurves.
Simmons Tree Sharks.
MFX Classic arrows..I stocked up.
Magnus 3" shield cut natural turkey feathers.
Good split finger tab.

I did break down and get a 62" recurve..but won't again.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
Its the self accomplishment of hunting with a basic tool, and the feeling of doing it like they did back in the beginning.
  And when I make my own arrows its very fulfilling and euphoric. I feel like I am more with the earth and nature with my trad gear.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
I guess for me it's perfect arrow flight. I'll tinker and fine tune until I'm totally happy with the arrow flight.

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
Longbows, wooden arrows, big whitetails on public land the chess game that never ends.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Just the whole process. I enjoy getting ready as much as the hunt. Already making plans for next year, made a new Torges seat, fine tuning my Waldrop pac seat, making arrows.......heck, hunting season is only 9 months away. Shooting everyday that weather allows......like I said, the whole package.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 10:55:00 PM »
The raging passion of the traditional has numerous roots such as crafting arrows, the sensational experience derived by loosing an arrow, extensive hunt preparation, splendid harvests and the kinship bonds founded in genuine camaraderie. The roots bore to incredible depths and continue to fervently dredge towards quintessential embodiment.

My passion is to continue to strive, yet often stumble in an attempt to relinquish myself and maintain an open mind as to absorb and share in the bounty of the wonderful treasures exposed by these branching and descending illustrious roots.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©