3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting a recurve with a release aid  (Read 626 times)

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting a recurve with a release aid
« on: January 13, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
I have been fighting Rheumatoid arthritis for the last 20 year. I have taken all the usual Rx pills and 3 of the self injection medicines. The RA keeps getting worse in my fingers and I am getting so I cannot reach full draw due to the severe pain.

I have never shot a release but was thinking of trying one of the wrist type. Problem is I know nothing about them.

Before you suggest dropping bow weight I have dropped 10 pounds lighter.

1. How or where do you anchor with one?

2. Do you have to install a kisser button or something for a reference point to anchor?

3. Since you pull a trigger do you still have to continue with the back tension for a release?
PBS  Member

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting a recurve with a release aid
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 12:29:00 AM »
I have seen quite a few people at 3d shoots that use a release for the same reason.
I also shoot my kids compounds with a release when im setting them up and teaching them.

You can use the head of the release in the corner of the mouth like a finger if you don't want to use a kisser button.

Yep back tension and every other shooting related thing should stay the same.

Glad to see your finding ways to keep shooting.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:31:00 AM »
Do a search on the Wynn Free Flight C12...it is a relax type that works more like a finger release...I always shot mine with a kisser button on my wheel bows...they have been discontinued but do show up used

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:38:00 AM »
Sorry the company is Winn, not Wynn...check out their website and contact them...they may have some further suggestions for you

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:31:00 AM »
Vital3 Joint solution will not react adversely to drugs.  I used one with a target bow for a bit. I put one of those rubber brush button on my nocking point as a corner of the mouth anchor. The model I have needs to have the little loop mounted on the string for the jaws to grab. It has the double wrist velcro straps to hold it on.  If you wish to try it let me know.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 09:20:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies not sure what I will do.
PBS  Member

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
No reason you can not set up a recurve to use a release aid.  I shot with a guy whoi has done that for years after loosing a couple fingers. I would tie in a couple nock points and D loop and pick a release you like.  I use a scott finger release with my wheel bow and do use back tension vice pushing the trigger with my finger.  For for ailmant a wrist mounted release would probably be best.
T ZZZZ

Offline SteveL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
Something else you might consider, is a finger sling or wrist sling for the bow hand. Especially if you are used to shooting a relaxed hand. The first time I used a release on a recurve it was so fast on the release it took me by complete surprise and the bow went flying.

I think you'll find going to a release will keep you in the game longer. Good luck.

Steve

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
It was years ago, but was always partial to the Fletch Hunter or Fletcher Rope releases by Fletcher. Don't know if they even still make them. Haven't seen one recently that would compare to them. JMHO

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
If you are going to use a release aid with a wrist strap. i would recommend a lower anchor and use the tip of your nose on the string. Everything is exactly the same on back tension.  using an elevated rest will help when using a lower anchor point too..... just a suggestion. it will take some getting used to. but if it keeps you in the game it will be worth it.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
When I shot a release I put 4 eliminator buttons on the string below the arrow nock then attach the release below the eliminator buttons.  This kept my natural aim on. If I put the release right below the arrow I would shoot a foot high at 10 yards.
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
I knew a guy that had a very long draw and used a rope type release on his Black Widow. It was his only choice at the time because Easton alum shafts were 32in. Long. He was quite good if I remember. If you can keep shooting that is what is most important.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
I can help you here, Elmer.
   Pretty simple set-up, really, though snap-on nocks are needed.
    Put a second nock set on your string 1/2"-1" below the nock set that's there right now. The release grabs the string under this nock set.  
   I anchor by placing the head of the release under my cheek bone.The gap between the two nocks sets will elevate the arrow to up near your eye. It'll give you pretty much the same sight picture as shooting three-fingers-under does. It works once you get comfortable and consistant with your new anchor.
   Let me know if you need more help.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
Thanks  for all the suggestions and replies.
PBS  Member

Offline Scott Grella

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
Personally, if I was using a release I'd use a string loop like they all do on compound bows.  Helps with level nock travel and saves wear and tear on your serving.  I'd say go for it, whatever keeps ya in the game.

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
PM Sent Elmer...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
I shot a release with another type of bow for about 30 years. So, I'm very familiar with the feel, set-up, and clean let-go they provide.

Just for kicks every now and then I put a release on my recurve. Wow, I can't tell you how uncomfortable it is!  I last about 2 shots and then back to my tab.

By the way, split finger, after shooting 3-under for just 4 years, also seems very strange and uncomfortable too me now.

Offline runningbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
Personally, if I was using a release I'd use a string loop like they all do on compound bows. Helps with level nock travel and saves wear and tear on your serving. I'd say go for it, whatever keeps ya in the game.

IMO

This is your best option....  and get a release with a good wrist strap.

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
Do a google search on the James Green gator jaws release.  It's a release that you can use to grab the string above and below the nock.  Might be kinda like shooting split-finger.
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline Bazooka Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
I shot a release back int the 70's as a PAA member.  
the first ones were like a plastic lace hook that you pivoted. Saw several people knocked out at Cobo Hall in Detroit :-)
Ricke custome TD recurve
Ricke custom RD longbow
Founding Member Badger Knife Club
Wis. Traditional Archers
Wis Bowhunters Assoc.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©